Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Can't wait for kids to be back on schedule 😫
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 5:34 am
My kids' school is on their regular schedule on Chanukah, so that means dragging extra tired kids out of bed every morning.
I love Chanukah, but this year, somehow, I'm not managing to relax enough to enjoy it.
Maybe I'm just too rigid, but crazy late bedtimes with overtired kids brings out the worst in me.
I even yelled at my poor toddler yesterday. Sad
Having all the littles up past 11:30 is very stressful.
I don't even know why I'm sharing this, but maybe hearing from other moms who are struggling with the same will make me feel better? 🤔
A Freilichen Chanukah

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 5:47 am
Party every night? Confused It's too much even for adults.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 6:57 am
Do yout kids have to stay up so late every night? My kids are going to sleep at regular times, or pretty close to it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 7:56 am
Yes, without going into too much detail, we have to visit our grandparents every night of Chanukah.
I didn't realise how much of a toll it's going to take on the little ones.
For next year, I'll try figuring out a solution that makes more sense.
One more late night, and I hope they'll recoup some sleep over shabbos iyh.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 8:07 am
We skip grandparents parties that are mid-week. I can't handle it, how can I expect my kids to?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 8:14 am
Sorry, op, that's really rough!

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 8:28 am
Yes it’s been so fun but we are beyond exhausted

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:07 am
My son had this year Chanukah party Motzei shabbos, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday he completely lost it and I finally got him into bed at 9:00. Today he was a lot better but he told me that he still is moody. He is a teen. He only has this many because we have a lot of sides (divorce). It's completely not normal to do that to toddlers.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 12:33 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
My son had this year Chanukah party Motzei shabbos, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday he completely lost it and I finally got him into bed at 9:00. Today he was a lot better but he told me that he still is moody. He is a teen. He only has this many because we have a lot of sides (divorce). It's completely not normal to do that to toddlers.

Insane! Sounds like a full time job. No wonder he is cranky. I would be cranky too.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 12:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
My kids' school is on their regular schedule on Chanukah, so that means dragging extra tired kids out of bed every morning.
I love Chanukah, but this year, somehow, I'm not managing to relax enough to enjoy it.
Maybe I'm just too rigid, but crazy late bedtimes with overtired kids brings out the worst in me.
I even yelled at my poor toddler yesterday. Sad
Having all the littles up past 11:30 is very stressful.
I don't even know why I'm sharing this, but maybe hearing from other moms who are struggling with the same will make me feel better? 🤔
A Freilichen Chanukah

This is what I don't like when Chanuka parties become a burden every night. No wonder parents dread it...

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 1:10 pm
I put my little kids to nap on the nights we have parties, otherwise, everyone goes crazy.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 1:20 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
I put my little kids to nap on the nights we have parties, otherwise, everyone goes crazy.

When? Playgroup ends at 3. The regular nap ends 130/2. They aren't ready for sleep.
My 4.5 year old comes home at 430 starving. Eats and chills until 5. Dh lights within the half hour of the zman which is 541 here. There is no time to nap.
We leave to party by 645/7.

Last night took the cake here. We got home at 12. Kids were in PJs and sleeping, so we transferred them in. I'm sick from exhaustion.
My 4.5 DC told me this morn, silly party, I have no energy. I want to sleep. Smart kid.

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 5:02 pm
Your kids need their sleep and so do you. There are 8 nights of Chanuka and presumably, two sets of grandparents. Maybe four if they're divorced and remarried. That should leave you with at least 4 nights during which you can safely stay home. I'm a granny myself, so believe me when I tell you that you do not have to and in fact should not sacrifice your children's well-being to satisfy their grandparents' fantasies about "family Chanuka."

Remember this pitgam: Kol hamosif gorea. It means basically "more is less."

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 5:10 pm
My kids start an hour later and it’s still not enough. I sent an overtired, sugar high preschooler to school today. I got her back worse than she left At wits end

velvet1

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 7:07 pm
Feel you!! I’m dealing with the same things…
I’m drained and my kids are beyond exhausted and cranky.. we didn’t even get one free night..

Busybee5

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 7:24 pm
We have winter holidays coming up! Chanukah has been so crazy busy with the kids finishing early etc, I'm ready for a holiday from school, and routine Very Happy

I also found this year the hardest, I think it's because we had a long week without a shabbos in between, and 2 Thursday nights were/are chanukah! Not easy.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 8:02 pm
Yes!! Plus my house is flying because there's no time to clean up Bec we're just running out to parties + there's no clean clothes because there's no time for laundry.
Everyone is moody and cranky and fighting...
And the grandparents each say it's just one night no big deal but they don't realize it's for a full week!

BrooklynBee

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 8:24 pm
If there's a party after bedtime, I either get a babysitter, DH stays home, or I stay home. Bedtime is non-negotiable for me. I'm consistent about it so grandparents are not insulted, they expect it by now.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:33 pm
BrooklynBee wrote:
If there's a party after bedtime, I either get a babysitter, DH stays home, or I stay home. Bedtime is non-negotiable for me. I'm consistent about it so grandparents are not insulted, they expect it by now.

What if the party is an hour away so your traveling an hour back and forth and all the grandparents want is to see the kids !!!

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:41 pm
BrooklynBee wrote:

How old is your oldest kid? That wouldn’t work with my kids anymore!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics