Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Does this look dangerous to you?? UPDATE new picture
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:31 pm
See picture. Is this normal with reusable cups?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:43 pm
Why do you have multiple wicks in there with a flame? Any reason the old ones are not being fished out with a T pin before setting up menorah for the next night?

gdgirl

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:43 pm
it looks like old wicks were not removed prior to refilling for the next day?!

NechaMom

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:44 pm
Is this a chanuka joke?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:49 pm
Why would this be a chanukah joke? We usually buy the ready made lights. This year dh decided to buy oil and glasses. We bought floating wicks and he's in charge of setting it up each night. He said this is the way its supposed to be

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:51 pm
Those glasses don't get floating wicks.
They get cotton skinny long ones that reach the bottom with metal holders.
Please get the correct ones. This is dangerous and can easily crack.

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:52 pm
You need to take out the old ones each night before putting a new ones. My son is using floating wicks cuz he likes them better. I have used them in the past. They work very very well but you must remove the old ones.....

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:52 pm
The floating wicks are not supposed to be used with such small glasses. You need to get another type of wick holder.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:53 pm
I asked dh why there's so many wicks inside. He said to prevent the new wicks from sinking in.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Why would this be a chanukah joke? We usually buy the ready made lights. This year dh decided to buy oil and glasses. We bought floating wicks and he's in charge of setting it up each night. He said this is the way its supposed to be

No this is not the way it’s supposed to be.
After the oil finishes burning you remove the old wick and anything that came with it such as the small metal disc that’s attached to some. Put fresh oil and a new clean wick in each cup.
Most people don’t throw the old used wicks in the garbage. Some people save and burn with chametz or burn them after Chanuka but you definitely don’t leave them in the menorah cups for the next night.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:56 pm
amother Daphne wrote:
The floating wicks are not supposed to be used with such small glasses. You need to get another type of wick holder.

What? We've always used floating wicks in those (or cotton dipped in oil). What I don't get is the layers of wicks and I don't actually see the oil below the wicks. Op, are the wicks floating on oil? That looks so strange to me.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I asked dh why there's so many wicks inside. He said to prevent the new wicks from sinking in.

Oh no. The glasses are supposed to be filled with oil. The wick floats on top.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 10:58 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
No this is not the way it’s supposed to be.
After the oil finishes burning you remove the old wick and anything that came with it such as the small metal disc that’s attached to some. Put fresh oil and a new clean wick in each cup.
Most people don’t throw the old used wicks in the garbage. Some people save and burn with chametz or burn them after Chanuka but you definitely don’t leave them in the menorah cups for the next night.

This year our wicks even came with a little plastic tweezer to remove the old ones. So handy!

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 11:06 pm
The wicks float on the oil and go down as the oil level diminishes. If you don't want the wicks to go all the way down and make the glass black, add water and then the amount of oil you want on top. (I use very large glasses during the year and if I filled them up with oil they would burn until the wee hours of the morning. )

Tell your husband to trust the thousands of women who light on floating wicks and oil year round, weekly. You must remove the old wicks.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 11:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

If your wicks don't float
1. Try another brand with better cork material
2. Try the extra long wick ones that reach tbe bottom of the glass

Don't stack em. That's dangerous.

keym

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 11:10 pm
But also the floating wicks need to be smaller than the glass (so they float). They should not be snug in the glass, there should be plenty of space all around for the wick to float.
If it's too snug, that can be dangerous for and overheat the glass.
Size down the wicks, remove all the old wicks, fill it with oil (and water if you want). Right before you light, place the wicks gently on top of the oil, silver side up. The wick should be at least half poked through, but I like doing 2/3 for a beautiful flame. The larger the wick, the larger the flame.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 11:22 pm
If he wants the fire to stay on top he will need to use the thin metal thingies that you put a wick through. Which keep the fire up top even when the oil diminishes.
Otherwise the floating wick will drop down with the oil….

NechaMom

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 11:58 pm
amother OP wrote:

You need to use this. https://www.eichlers.com/shabb.....w_wcB Yes your picture looks dangerous. I’ve never seen anyone stack wicks that’s why I thought you’re joking.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 5:59 pm

Ty everyone. This is the new wicks I bought and it looks much better and safer

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 6:12 pm
Pictures in this site are blocked by my filter for some reason, so I don’t see the pictures, but I get the gist from the other posts
I use floating wicks year round for my leichter, so chanuka we use the same ones. The psil tzaf
You of course must remove them after each night! However, remember, chanuka wicks don’t go in the garbage. Some people put them in sheimos, but we save them for biur chometz
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics