Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
S/o -pandas (but more respectful)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:37 pm
Genuine question but didn’t want to post in the other thread because that was getting insanely heated. Does it often run in families? Is there a genetic aspect to it? Multiple people mentioned families with more than one child (I think?).

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Genuine question but didn’t want to post in the other thread because that was getting insanely heated. Does it often run in families? Is there a genetic aspect to it? Multiple people mentioned families with more than one child (I think?).

I posted in that other thread. Thank you for opening up a nice one. I was just making challah and davening for the geula and specifically had that OP in mind. That type of hate she was spewing won’t exist in the time of mashiach!! I’m literally picturing a beautiful world where there is no nastiness because people won’t feel threatened by other people.

To answer your question, yes many autoimmune disorders are genetic or have a genetic component. For example, I had an autoimmune issue as a child that is not considered genetic, but my son was diagnosed with another autoimmune disorder (similar to mine, but different) and they told me my disorder was a component in their initial reasoning of why they wanted to do further testing.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:43 pm
amother OP wrote:

Absolutely. It's an autoimmune disease.

I have one kid with it. Suspect another one.
My sister had a kid with it.
I have a different autoimmune disease.
(We have genetic factors that make us susceptible to developing autoimmune diseases)

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 7:01 pm
My son had pandas for many years. Bh we have moved on from that diagnosis, but I suspect that he is resistant to abx from all the years taking them. He recently had a bad cold for weeks which is usually a sinus infection and did not respond to 2 different doses of abx. The other (awful) thread had many moms with pandas experience- does anyone have experience with abx resistance and know if there is anything to do for it? Thanks!

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 7:02 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
Absolutely. It's an autoimmune disease.

I have one kid with it. Suspect another one.
My sister had a kid with it.
I have a different autoimmune disease.
(We have genetic factors that make us susceptible to developing autoimmune diseases)

This is interesting to hear since my husband has an autoimmune skin condition and my son had pandas- it never occurred to me that they can be related.

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 7:46 pm
Yes it runs in families. Predisposition to autoimmunityis linked to certain genes. Autoimmunity but also specifically autoimmunity to the brain triggered by strep. The science isn't there just yet on why but strep has been known to cause autoimmunity in different parts of the body for decades already, way before pandas was a thing.

There's also other hereditary factors not necessarily linked to genes like a mother passing on her pathogenic and toxic load to her child, her compromised microbiome, her immune activation.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 7:46 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
This is interesting to hear since my husband has an autoimmune skin condition and my son had pandas- it never occurred to me that they can be related.

Essentially its the immune system malfunctioning. Once it malfunctions this way, another time it malfunctions another way..... But the coding fir the immune system is weak and can flip for many reasons.

I'm not commenting on the other thread, but even trauma can be a cause. If you have a genetic predisposition, consistent increase jn cortisol leveks and other stress hormones can affect the bodies function and then, add strep or other bacteria or viruses and the immune system goes haywire.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 8:30 pm
Thanks for answering. This was interesting to learn. I always just assumed it was a crazy bad thing that just happened randomly to some people but it makes sense that it’s not so random now that I know all this information.

That must be so hard to have multiple people having to deal with it (or other related conditions) one family.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 8:54 pm
My most allergic children ,(allergies are autoimmune!) go haywire after strep or any virus. Sudden onset tics, sudden onset OCD. It's scary to see. And then it goes away. Something is already malfunctional in their immune system. The op of the other thread kept on saying pandas is strep in the blood. No it isn't. Its the body directing all of its resources that would normally fight strep or any bacteria and instead fights the brain.

I think eventually science will find a connection between mental illness and biological imbalances.

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 8:58 pm
amother Blush wrote:
My most allergic children ,(allergies are autoimmune!) go haywire after strep or any virus. Sudden onset tics, sudden onset OCD. It's scary to see. And then it goes away. Something is already malfunctional in their immune system. The op of the other thread kept on saying pandas is strep in the blood. No it isn't. Its the body directing all of its resources that would normally fight strep or any bacteria and instead fights the brain.

I think eventually science will find a connection between mental illness and biological imbalances.
The science is already there.

mandr

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 8:58 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
My son had pandas for many years. Bh we have moved on from that diagnosis, but I suspect that he is resistant to abx from all the years taking them. He recently had a bad cold for weeks which is usually a sinus infection and did not respond to 2 different doses of abx. The other (awful) thread had many moms with pandas experience- does anyone have experience with abx resistance and know if there is anything to do for it? Thanks!

If he had a cold then no abx will help. If he has a true sinus infection caused by a bacteria, he should go on 3 weeks of abx to fully clear it out. That's what I was told by my ENT when I had recurring sinusitis. I was on Bactrim, fwiw.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 4:38 am
mandr wrote:
If he had a cold then no abx will help. If he has a true sinus infection caused by a bacteria, he should go on 3 weeks of abx to fully clear it out. That's what I was told by my ENT when I had recurring sinusitis. I was on Bactrim, fwiw.

There is no blood test for sinus infection but he had all the symptoms. Was on abx for longer than 3 weeks- 10 days of one and 15 days of another and it didn’t help. I’m worried that his body is resistant to abx since he was on them for so long with pandas.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 4:40 am
amother Blush wrote:

My pandas child has allergies too, plus other issues that I believe are all related but haven’t found an official connection so instead we treat each one separately. I would love to find a way to heal his immune system!

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 5:09 am
amother Blush wrote:

Strep in the blood is a totally different thing and often leads to sepsis r"l.

And there def is already a scientific link to inflammation and mental health issues.
I've been saying it fir years and years that there MUST be. And then the science backed me up. If you how AE (autoimmune encephalitis) happens and effects the person. It is only common sense that mental health issues us similar.

So many mental health disorders come out after puberty or at specific times in a person's life. Just like pandas is usually at a specific time of life.

amother
Geranium

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 5:33 am
amother Pearl wrote:
There is no blood test for sinus infection but he had all the symptoms. Was on abx for longer than 3 weeks- 10 days of one and 15 days of another and it didn’t help. I’m worried that his body is resistant to abx since he was on them for so long with pandas.
Sinus infections can be hard to treat in general. You can ask your dr to swab the discharge for sensitivity. There are also potent herbal antibiotics you can use instead.

amother
Geranium

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 5:35 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
Strep in the blood is a totally different thing and often leads to sepsis r"l.

And there def is already a scientific link to inflammation and mental health issues.
I've been saying it fir years and years that there MUST be. And then the science backed me up. If you how AE (autoimmune encephalitis) happens and effects the person. It is only common sense that mental health issues us similar.

So many mental health disorders come out after puberty or at specific times in a person's life. Just like pandas is usually at a specific time of life.
Very common misconception on this site that pandas is caused by "strep in the blood" because when drs look for it, they run blood tests as opposed to a throat swab. But what they're really looking at is strep antibodies, which neither indicates the current presences of strep in the blood or elsewhere in the body, nor actual pandas.

amother
Geranium

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 5:37 am
amother Pearl wrote:
My pandas child has allergies too, plus other issues that I believe are all related but haven’t found an official connection so instead we treat each one separately. I would love to find a way to heal his immune system!
https://www.amazon.com/Light-Dark-Pandas-Pans/dp/1685248551/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=2YUVGUR7G7S8D&keywords=jill+crista+pandas&qid=1701437768&sprefix=jill+crista+pandas%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Light-D.....r=8-1

This book has a ton of information on healing the immune system.

https://www.amazon.com/Healing.....r=8-1

This book will explain the connection in depth between allergies and developmental disorders. It also discusses treatments.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 5:51 am
amother Blushpink wrote:
I posted in that other thread. Thank you for opening up a nice one. I was just making challah and davening for the geula and specifically had that OP in mind. That type of hate she was spewing won’t exist in the time of mashiach!! I’m literally picturing a beautiful world where there is no nastiness because people won’t feel threatened by other people.

To answer your question, yes many autoimmune disorders are genetic or have a genetic component. For example, I had an autoimmune issue as a child that is not considered genetic, but my son was diagnosed with another autoimmune disorder (similar to mine, but different) and they told me my disorder was a component in their initial reasoning of why they wanted to do further testing.

How is your post not hate, how are you the better one here? The whole first paragraph was completely unnecessary you just turned this thread into a hateful thread.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 6:12 am
One of my children had pandas for a few months
BH abx helped

At that point I had sister with autoimmune disease
At this point I have the autoimmune disease too (came out much older than my sister's)

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 6:19 am
amother Magenta wrote:
How is your post not hate, how are you the better one here? The whole first paragraph was completely unnecessary you just turned this thread into a hateful thread.

Sorry you read it sarcastically, it wasn’t written that way. It was very very sincere
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics