Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Opening a new gemach

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 2:00 am
I’d like to open a gemach in my area. It will be something people can borrow for a simcha. I’m looking for tips from people who have gemachim. Thanks in advance!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 2:39 am
I have a table/chair gemach. What types of tips?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:14 am
Do you ask the people to sign a paper with t&cs? How does it work if something gets damaged? Do you take a deposit?

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:31 am
I run a Gemach
First of all - Kol hakavod. Beautiful idea. May you have success.
Second - please realize that while most people are well meaning and responsible, there is a good chance that you will have situations that people don’t treat your items well or don’t even return them. I’m sorry but it’s better to be prepared beforehand.
Depending on the value of your item you may ask for a small deposit. If so Be prepared to have change on hand.
I personally have not found having a borrower sign accomplishes anything. If the person is responsible they will return it timely and in good shape. If they are not , the fact that they signed something (if they even remember they signed ) won’t make a difference.
Some things to think about : 1. Space - do you have a good space for storage and easy to get in and out. 2. Time - will you have set hours or will you make up with each individual person when they will come ? 3. Length of borrowing - will you stipulate a length of time they can borrow the item and when they will return it ?
Wishing you great hatzlacha !

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:51 am
Have an easy way for them to sign up to book the item you are lending.
Written instructions on care and expected return.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 4:05 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
I run a Gemach
First of all - Kol hakavod. Beautiful idea. May you have success.
Second - please realize that while most people are well meaning and responsible, there is a good chance that you will have situations that people don’t treat your items well or don’t even return them. I’m sorry but it’s better to be prepared beforehand.
Depending on the value of your item you may ask for a small deposit. If so Be prepared to have change on hand.
I personally have not found having a borrower sign accomplishes anything. If the person is responsible they will return it timely and in good shape. If they are not , the fact that they signed something (if they even remember they signed ) won’t make a difference.
Some things to think about : 1. Space - do you have a good space for storage and easy to get in and out. 2. Time - will you have set hours or will you make up with each individual person when they will come ? 3. Length of borrowing - will you stipulate a length of time they can borrow the item and when they will return it ?
Wishing you great hatzlacha !

Thank you that’s really helpful!!

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 4:12 am
I take a deposit for my Gemach,
I also take info like name, number, street, item number they are taking, date they took it and what date it is needed for. This way I know what has come back if it's after the date they needed it for if I haven't yet received it. I write the returned date as well.
I have a printed chart I write it all in when giving the item.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 5:09 am
I don't take a deposit but I do ask for a donation. I have a sticker on each table and chair with instructions and I tell them that.
The way I work it is somebody reaches out to me they want to borrow. I do this all by text or WhatsApp. I do not take phone calls. I asked him their name, when they need the stuff for, how much stuff they need,...
I keep my own Google sheets with their information. We pick a time for them to pick up the stuff. I tell them in the beginning they must text me before coming to ensure I am home and the door can be unlocked. The same thing goes for returning. Nobody can return unless they reach out to me.
Bh it is very very busy and I have to keep track of them to make sure everything comes back. I do have to reach out to people constantly to tell him to return their stuff though...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics