Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Lefties

anonymous mom

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 10:22 am
I drive a lot every day, I practically live in my car. It got me thinking about lefties. Do you have a hard time driving with your right foot? It must be so hard to do this. I can't imagine having reflexes at the same speed with my left foot (I'm a righty).

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 10:24 am
Interesting....I'm married to a lefty. He doesn't enjoy driving the way I do.

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 10:30 am
Also I notice the gear shift is on the right side. Radio controls, turn signal, windshield wiper etc... yes some controls are on the left... But I don't think there's a real rhyme or reason...

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 10:32 am
I am very strongly a left handed person but I don't have any trouble using my right foot since I am not left footed. I actually learned to drive with a clutch and you use both feet for that anyway.

I don't have trouble using my right hand for the gear shift.

What are issues are things like door knobs, scissors, faucets loose leaf binders in which physically there are actually physical issues in terms of how things turn or fit.

I do think that most left handed people - even those who are strongly left handed like myself just have learned to be able to maneuver in a right handed world better than a right handed person could if situations were reversed suddenly.

Also I had my revenge because when I remodeled my kitchen, I placed dishwashers to the left although normally they are to the right. I also have a rear offset drain to the left of my sink.

GoldFlowers

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 10:34 am
I’m a leftie. No, it’s automatic because that’s how cars are set up. Reflexes are from your brain, not your foot.

I enjoy driving.

mom24.7

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 11:11 am
Im a lefty. Have no problem driving. Guess it's because that's only way I learnt. Also left handed means left footed too? Not so sure.

true me

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 11:19 am
I'm a lefty. I don't drive, but I had a real hard time with the computer mouse.

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 11:20 am
true me wrote:

You may already be familiar with your computer mouse but they do make lefty mice. Plus, you can change the settings in your computer so that way instead of a double right click, it'll be a double left click.

true me

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 11:26 am
singleagain wrote:
You may already be familiar with your computer mouse but they do make lefty mice. Plus, you can change the settings in your computer so that way instead of a double right click, it'll be a double left click.

I am used to it by now. It's not the double right click, it's doing it with my right hand.

Thinking about it, it's actually an advantage. I can use my mouse and write at the same time Very Happy

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 11:28 am
true me wrote:

I am a leftie and my mouse is neutral so it is fine for me.

When I worked in offices, they would sometimes give me a curved mouse occasionally and it was for righties. I would go to IT and request a neutral mouse and they immediately replaced it.

Either get a neutral mouse which is used on the left side of the computer with you ur left hand OR get a trackpad which is small and used in the left instead of a standard mouse. Whichever you prefer. 🤷‍♀️

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 11:30 am
true me wrote:
I am used to it by now. It's not the double right click, it's doing it with my right hand.

Thinking about it, it's actually an advantage. I can use my mouse and write at the same time Very Happy

Jealous ... One of the banes of my job is that I cannot use my hands at the same time.

But.. yes there are mice designed for lefties.

Like this:
Limited-time deal: Logitech Signature M650 L Left Wireless Mouse - For Large Sized Left Hands, 2-Year Battery, Silent Clicks, Customizable Side Buttons, Bluetooth, for PC/Mac/Multi-Device/Chromebook - Graphite https://a.co/d/33UIohi

Or even ergonomic ones:
Left-Handed Mouse, Rechargeable 2.4G Wireless Ergonomic Vertical Mice with USB Receiver, 6 Buttons and 3 Adjustable DPI 800/1200/1600 for Laptop Computer PC Desktop (Left Hand) https://a.co/d/de2P9Ld

busy mommy

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 2:25 pm
Just an interesting tidbit that may explain the driving piece. An OT once told me that 10% of people are lefties. Of that smallish pool of people less than half (45%) are left footed as well. Only 3% of right handed people are left footed.

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 2:26 pm
How do you know which foot is your dominant one?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 2:36 pm
singleagain wrote:
How do you know which foot is your dominant one?

Your can usually tell with what's natural to you to start walking/doing steps, etc

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 2:54 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Your can usually tell with what's natural to you to start walking/doing steps, etc

But even if you are left footed, you don’t do the kind of things with a foot that one does with hands.

I can’t think of a single instance in which being left footed would matter although perhaps if one is a high level athlete one’s stance might be significant like a left handed pitcher or batter in baseball.

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 2:56 pm
Amarante wrote:
But even if you are left footed, you don’t do the kind of things with a foot that one does with hands.

I can’t think of a single instance in which being left footed would matter although perhaps if one is a high level athlete one’s stance might be significant like a left handed pitcher or batter in baseball.

I remember taking a karate class in 7th grade I think and I couldn't break the board with my right foot but I was able to break it with my left foot

That's the only time I can remember a difference in my feet.

grace413

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 11:31 am
I'm a lefty and never had any trouble with driving or anything else.
My sister who is also a lefty is the queen of parallel parking. (I can't parallel park at all)

My personal suspicion is that lefties learn to do more things with their right hand than righties learn to do with their left.

I don't have any special left handed accessories.

shyner

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 1:16 pm
I live in the UK and we drive in the right seat which means all the controls are in the centre so on your left including the gearbox and it's not a problem for the population who are mostly right handed.
And lots of people here drive with a clutch which means more complicated gear changes using your left hand.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 1:34 pm
I am a strong leftie and I’m left footed.
Driving is a skill.
I can do way more with my right hand than a rightie can do with their left.
In our house growing up, we had two mousepads. We’d always be switching the side the mouse was on.
Smartphones are designed for righties. #not fair

centurion

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 7:02 pm
Maybe it's because I have 2 left feet, my right foot acts like a left foot...
I'm a true lefty but I can use my right hand just as easily for gross motor skills like lifting and carrying. I think that's the case here too, driving is not a fine motor skill. And I definitely use the steering wheel like a lefty.
Some people drive with their left foot. This leaves their right foot free to kick the passenger. (Except in England, where everyone is free to kick the passenger Wink )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics