Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Insurance - Cigna

snooper86

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 4:53 am
Is Cigna a good insurance for women in childbearing years? I can possibly get this free or discounted through work.

MayimChayim

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 5:54 am
Cigna is a fine mainstream insurance, but in general, the specifics of the plan (e.g. deductible, coinsurance, and out of pocket max) matter more than the carrier in terms of how much you'd be paying throughout a pregnancy.
Something to take into account as well is what your other options are.

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 9:46 am
There is no monolithic policy offered by any insurance company.

The details of your insurance are going to depend on what your specific employer has decided to purchase for their employees as a benefit.

If you are getting free or discounted health insurance from your employer, it is almost always going to be less expensive than if you had to purchase it.

You would be limited in terms of your other options since generally if you can get insurance through your employer which is deemed "affordable", then you are precluded from premium subsidies through the marketplace and I think in most states would not be able to get Medicaid. Rules for your family would also possibly an issue if they can get coverage which is affordable. The rules of affordability are complicated so I am just offering them as a possible issue

snooper86

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 11:22 pm
I got more info, if anyone can help me out I’d appreciate it. The deductible limit is 2.5K / individual and out of pocket max of 7k / individual.
Pregnancy, Delivery, any hospital stay or surgeries all have a 30% coinsurance. (I have no clue what coinsurance means). Does this sound like a plan that is worth anything? I would not be paying any monthly premiums. If anyone can help me out I’d really appreciate it.

Leahh

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 11:39 pm
snooper86 wrote:
I got more info, if anyone can help me out I’d appreciate it. The deductible limit is 2.5K / individual and out of pocket max of 7k / individual.
Pregnancy, Delivery, any hospital stay or surgeries all have a 30% coinsurance. (I have no clue what coinsurance means). Does this sound like a plan that is worth anything? I would not be paying any monthly premiums. If anyone can help me out I’d really appreciate it.

There are certain times where you'll be required in full. That goes towards your deductible and out of pocket max.
Once your deductible is met, meaning once you have paid 2.5k, then the insurance will pay in full or there will be a coinsurance until you reach the out of pocket max. Once you reach the 7k out of pocket max insurance will pay everything in network 100%.
Coinsurance means both you an insurance pay. So 30% coinsurance means insurance pays 70% and ypu pay 30% but only up to 7k. Once you reach 7k insurance pays 100%
Eta are there co-pays for regular doctor visits or that comes out of the deductible?
Overall if you're not paying premiums it's not a bad policy. You have to be prepared to pay 7k throughout the year and then you'll be done. Many premiums will be more than that anyway.

Last edited by Leahh on Mon, Dec 18 2023, 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total

estherj

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 12:16 am
As of now Cigna will no longer be covering Memorial Sloan after February 1st 2024 if that makes a difference to you. They are ending their relationship.

anotherjap

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 12:37 am
From experience I paid more on premiums than when I paid my ob out of pocket when my husband switched jobs and we lost our insurance. Deductibles and coinsurances really add up....
If you do go with it, find out if there's hospital insurance you can get as well. The premium is really low - busy a few dollars - and you get reimbursed for each day you are hospitalized (hopefully only in the maternity ward). In this way I got back $2000 for being hospitalized due to giving birth - this mostly covered the copays from the same pregnancy.
Then it's worth it!

snooper86

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 4:06 pm
Leahh wrote:
There are certain times where you'll be required in full. That goes towards your deductible and out of pocket max.
Once your deductible is met, meaning once you have paid 2.5k, then the insurance will pay in full or there will be a coinsurance until you reach the out of pocket max. Once you reach the 7k out of pocket max insurance will pay everything in network 100%.
Coinsurance means both you an insurance pay. So 30% coinsurance means insurance pays 70% and ypu pay 30% but only up to 7k. Once you reach 7k insurance pays 100%
Eta are there co-pays for regular doctor visits or that comes out of the deductible?
Overall if you're not paying premiums it's not a bad policy. You have to be prepared to pay 7k throughout the year and then you'll be done. Many premiums will be more than that anyway.

Thank You this is helpful!

snooper86

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 5:06 pm
estherj wrote:
As of now Cigna will no longer be covering Memorial Sloan after February 1st 2024 if that makes a difference to you. They are ending their relationship.

If I’m correct they are primarily used by Cancer patients and or other illnesses. Bh I am healthy as of now and don’t need to use them, hopefully it stays that way.

snooper86

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 5:06 pm
anotherjap wrote:
From experience I paid more on premiums than when I paid my ob out of pocket when my husband switched jobs and we lost our insurance. Deductibles and coinsurances really add up....
If you do go with it, find out if there's hospital insurance you can get as well. The premium is really low - busy a few dollars - and you get reimbursed for each day you are hospitalized (hopefully only in the maternity ward). In this way I got back $2000 for being hospitalized due to giving birth - this mostly covered the copays from the same pregnancy.
Then it's worth it!

Thank You, I’ll definitely look into hospital insurance then, as I’ve had a history of preterm babies.

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 6:28 pm
Bottom line is that if you are receiving insurance through your workplace, that is almost always going to be the most economical plan and corporate plans are generally - not always - better than anything you could buy.

If you are getting insurance through your workplace you aren't eligible for any premium credits so your premiums would be high.

You may or may not be able to insure your children through CHIPS or similar plan and that might make economic sense.

Regarding hospital indemnification plans which pay for your stay in a hospital, they are generally not worth it and are hugely profitable for the insurance companies.

That is because most people are not hospitalized for significant periods of time as hospitals goal is to get you out as quickly as possible. If you are worried about long term sickness, it is better to get a long term disability policy which provides a significant percentage of your income if you can't work for a long period of time.

Also for hospitalizations relating to pregnancy, you generally have a waiting period of ten months so you can't be pregnant when you sign up for the policy.

stardream

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 6:49 pm
estherj wrote:

Thanks for mentioning this. This is a big deal for many.

snooper86

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 8:16 pm
Amarante wrote:
Bottom line is that if you are receiving insurance through your workplace, that is almost always going to be the most economical plan and corporate plans are generally - not always - better than anything you could buy.

If you are getting insurance through your workplace you aren't eligible for any premium credits so your premiums would be high.

You may or may not be able to insure your children through CHIPS or similar plan and that might make economic sense.

Regarding hospital indemnification plans which pay for your stay in a hospital, they are generally not worth it and are hugely profitable for the insurance companies.

That is because most people are not hospitalized for significant periods of time as hospitals goal is to get you out as quickly as possible. If you are worried about long term sickness, it is better to get a long term disability policy which provides a significant percentage of your income if you can't work for a long period of time.

Also for hospitalizations relating to pregnancy, you generally have a waiting period of ten months so you can't be pregnant when you sign up for the policy.

Thanks for the info regarding the 10 month wait, that’s important for me to know as I’m a major procrastinator. I’m not currently pregnant so I may be fine on that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains