Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How often does your kids school do nit checking
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 1:05 pm
How often does your kids school do not checking and are the parents informed before hand? Has your daughter ever found to have nits in school if yes what happens?

My daughters school does nit checking a few times a year. All gradesb1-8. Before the first day of school and then random times throughout the year. I wish they would give a note that they will be checking. When my daughter was younger she couldn't remake her hair the way I styled it and the secretary couldn't even give her a rubber band and there was no teacher to make her hair so she came home with flying hair. Now she's older and she was so embarrassed an annoyed. Her hair gets oily very fast and she hadn't taken a shower the night before. To my kids knowledge they don't think anyone has nits or lice. I think they are checked too often.

We also have a nit fee in daycamp on the first day of daycamp, then first day second half. But it's less upseting when it's expected.

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 1:09 pm
We have lice check 3x a year and its on the calendar and they send emails. Your not supposed to use conditioner before so they definitely tell people

Rappel

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 1:12 pm
Never - but they should

Ah, Israel

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 1:15 pm
never. until my daughter came home last week and I saw her scratching and I checked her myself. the school is new and didnt think to bring in lice checkers until now...

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 1:16 pm
My girl's school checks before school starts and after every major holiday. It's always scheduled and on the calendar and they have a policy that if the girls are not in school that day then the parents are responsible for getting them checked before they can come back to school with a note. If anyone gets lice during the school year then they have to inform the school and the school will have the class and any sibling classes checked. There was an outbreak in my daughter's class last year and my daughter ended up getting lice. The school called me to come pick her up and she was only allowed back with a note from a professional lice remover saying that she was cleared.

lfab

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 1:20 pm
My kids school does it the first day of school and then monthly thereafter. They don't tell us ahead of time what day it will be.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 2:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
How often does your kids school do not checking and are the parents informed before hand? Has your daughter ever found to have nits in school if yes what happens?

My daughters school does nit checking a few times a year. All gradesb1-8. Before the first day of school and then random times throughout the year. I wish they would give a note that they will be checking. When my daughter was younger she couldn't remake her hair the way I styled it and the secretary couldn't even give her a rubber band and there was no teacher to make her hair so she came home with flying hair. Now she's older and she was so embarrassed an annoyed. Her hair gets oily very fast and she hadn't taken a shower the night before. To my kids knowledge they don't think anyone has nits or lice. I think they are checked too often.

We also have a nit fee in daycamp on the first day of daycamp, then first day second half. But it's less upseting when it's expected.

We pay a yearly fee of $15 and they get checked around once a month. If they have lice they are checked weekly until they are clear.
The school sends out a text two days prior to the check.
If a girl is absent they'll have a random check any time during the week.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 2:50 pm
In israel its not a thing.
Its actually not allowed.
So ironic.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:01 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
So ironic.

Why not?

Golde

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:03 pm
I'm from Europe and have never heard of this. Sometimes the school sends a message to all parents to check at home - if there's lice going around. But to check in school... That's is completely new to me! Do they check the boys too? Is it a Jewish thing or do public schools do it too?

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:04 pm
Golde wrote:
I'm from Europe and have never heard of this. Sometimes the school sends a message to all parents to check at home - if there's lice going around. But to check in school... That's is completely new to me! Do they check the boys too? Is it a Jewish thing or do public schools do it too?

Boys can and do get lice as well. It has almost nothinv to do with the length of ones hair.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:06 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
So ironic.

I worked in a gan in Israel and we used to check the kids quite regularly (although it was mostly Americans, so maybe that was why)

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:10 pm
I’m so grateful that they check for lice.

I have so many relatives in Israel that are infested. We got back from a trip to Israel recently and my daughter picked it up from my niece. I don’t understand how the kids can live with it there.

Luckily the school picked it up right away and everyone’s ok now. So yes. I’m grateful.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:10 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I worked in a gan in Israel and we used to check the kids quite regularly (although it was mostly Americans, so maybe that was why)

I was told there cant be wny formal checking and one isnt really allowed to tell when someone has lice. You can tell the parents as a whole to check, bug not to individual families.
Its a relic of the past that never left. Where people believed that if one had lice it meant they were dirty. That is not really how lice works, but not being allowed to tell or formally check is so nobody is "looked down" on. Even though thats not really how it is seen now.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:29 pm
Our school does it a few times a year. They don't tell us exactly which day it will be. Teachers or lice checkers help girls who need help to redo their hair. If someone has lice or nits they need to be picked up and the school gives them a list of approved places to comb them out and certify that they're lice free. If you want to comb it out yourself I'm assuming you would just have to pay the company to recheck and certify that you're lice free.

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:34 pm
Never.
None of my kids have ever had lice. First I’m hearing of checks in school.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:36 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
Never.
None of my kids have ever had lice. First I’m hearing of checks in school.

Can I ask where you live that you never heard of this?

Golde

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:56 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Boys can and do get lice as well. It has almost nothinv to do with the length of ones hair.

Yes I know. We have lice here too, just not school checking. I was just curious if you do public nit checking in the boys schools as well in America.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:57 pm
I grew up with one check before school. During the summer apparently there is more prevalence of lice. My daughter's school checks after every vacation...but 30% of the student body is Israeli.

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 4:02 pm
My kids school checks once a month and lets the parents know 3 days before. The whole point of it is that parents clean their kids out at minimum once a month and by the time they’re being checked in school, most kids aren’t found infested.

If a kid is still infested at checking, the parents are notified and they must keep rechecking out of school until they are found clean.

I’m so grateful for this system it really works.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics