Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Can I go shopping for Shabbos today?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 12:56 pm
I usually buy raw chicken / meat, prepared kugel, and chemical laden challah. Will it be still good for Shabbos, or should I wait till tomorrow? I just have some more time today.

NechaMom

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 12:58 pm
Chemical laden?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 1:04 pm
NechaMom wrote:
Chemical laden?

You know, the type that’s an unnatural shade of yellow and doesn’t seem to go stale…

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 1:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
You know, the type that’s an unnatural shade of yellow and doesn’t seem to go stale…

Lol, we call it egg challa where I'm from

NechaMom

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 1:07 pm
amother OP wrote:

Can you buy a chemical free one and freeze it until Friday? Smile
The other food should be fine in the fridge if it was prepared in the store today. Many people cook for Shabbos on Wednesday.

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 1:08 pm
I go most weeks on Wednesday because we also tend to run out of school snacks so I get produce, fish, meat etc and now that Fri is so short I cook Thursday night.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 1:13 pm
NechaMom wrote:
Can you buy a chemical free one and freeze it until Friday? Smile
The other food should be fine in the fridge if it was prepared in the store today. Many people cook for Shabbos on Wednesday.

Actually no, the chemical free ones are fresher and tend to be contaminated with sesame. Allergies don't make you healthier...

SuperWify

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:00 pm
Yes, I just did. I will cook tomorrow morning.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:02 pm
I like to buy chicken/ meat/ fish that was packaged one day before I plan to cook it. If I was shopping today and cooking on Friday, I would freeze til then.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 3:04 pm
Yes, totally fine.

Highstrung

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 3:07 pm
I usually do my shopping for the week and for Shabbos on Wednesdays. I actually think it’s the busiest day in the groceries . Of course it’ll be good. Whatever you are worried about just freeze. Chicken and meat can freeze today and take it out of the freezer the night before you plan to cook it . Otherwise just refrigerate it .

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 7:51 pm
the thing is, if you buy and freeze it tonight, you will be defrosting it tomorrow or it won't be defrosted in time to cook on sunday. my house is pretty cold; I took chicken out of the freezer tonight already - that I bought last week.

hodeez

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:17 pm
Wednesday shopping, Thursday make salads and marinate meat, Friday cook. Works well for us!

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 9:18 pm
Highstrung wrote:
I usually do my shopping for the week and for Shabbos on Wednesdays. I actually think it’s the busiest day in the groceries . Of course it’ll be good. Whatever you are worried about just freeze. Chicken and meat can freeze today and take it out of the freezer the night before you plan to cook it . Otherwise just refrigerate it .

There's no need to freeze meat that's bought today and being cooked before Shabbos. That's only two days away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note