Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Grand meltdown at night
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 9:44 pm
I don’t know what suddenly happened to my angelic newborn. He’s 11 weeks old and the past few nights he’s been screeching when I lay him down for the night. Refuses to nurse or take his paci like he usually does.

I thought I had the whole infant sleep figured out..oh well. He’s good during the day and goes down nicely for naps. I’m just left scratching my head to figure out if he’s overtired or under-tired.

I’m already dealing with pp anxiety as is and this just exacerbates it to new levels.

Any advice appreciated!

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 9:57 pm
Ear infection? If it's only when lying down? Or could be a faze... Sometimes they do go through sleep regressions that last a few days/week.

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 9:59 pm
Thinking ear infection as well. Especially from the laying down and not wanting to suck.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:03 pm
But he’s happy throughout the day and nursing well, this only happens at night. For some reason he’s fighting the sleep

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
But he’s happy throughout the day and nursing well, this only happens at night. For some reason he’s fighting the sleep

Well when someone is sick it usually comes out worse at night. So I would check it out

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don’t know what suddenly happened to my angelic newborn. He’s 11 weeks old and the past few nights he’s been screeching when I lay him down for the night. Refuses to nurse or take his paci like he usually does.

I thought I had the whole infant sleep figured out..oh well. He’s good during the day and goes down nicely for naps. I’m just left scratching my head to figure out if he’s overtired or under-tired.

I’m already dealing with pp anxiety as is and this just exacerbates it to new levels.

Any advice appreciated!

Most babies like to be fed to sleep. What do you mean when you say you lay him down? Like lay him awake or you lay him down asleep/transferring him to bed? It’s so normal for them not to like to be put to sleep awake. You’re not teaching any bad habits if you feed or rock to sleep. 11 weeks is so so so little.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:11 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
Most babies like to be fed to sleep. What do you mean when you say you lay him down? Like lay him awake or you lay him down asleep/transferring him to bed? It’s so normal for them not to like to be put to sleep awake. You’re not teaching any bad habits if you feed or rock to sleep. 11 weeks is so so so little.

She said he’s refusing to nurse so I assume she’s not trying to get him to fall asleep himself or anything

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:16 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
She said he’s refusing to nurse so I assume she’s not trying to get him to fall asleep himself or anything

Oh sorry I mis read!
Hm OP can you try other ways like patting rocking etc?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 10:19 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:

I mostly try to stick to an eat play sleep routine so he’ll eat right when he wakes up from the previous nap. I’ve tried nursing him again before bedtime but apparently he’s full and refuses.

So up until now I would look out for tired signs and put him down when he’s awake and with the help of a paci he would fall asleep without protest. He still does that for naps bh. I feel like at this age they do develop sleep habits already and I would very much hate to be that mom who needs to be rocking the baby for hours

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:47 am
Growth spurt, he may still be hungry.
It’s also normal for newborns to change their patterns every few week.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:01 am
amother OP wrote:
I mostly try to stick to an eat play sleep routine so he’ll eat right when he wakes up from the previous nap. I’ve tried nursing him again before bedtime but apparently he’s full and refuses.

So up until now I would look out for tired signs and put him down when he’s awake and with the help of a paci he would fall asleep without protest. He still does that for naps bh. I feel like at this age they do develop sleep habits already and I would very much hate to be that mom who needs to be rocking the baby for hours

Is this your first baby? This isn't true. You can do what it takes to get him to sleep, he's still a newborn.

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:13 am
I'm going to disagree with some posters. If your baby is falling asleep mostly independently I would not start rocking to sleep at this point. I have a bunch of kids and the ones who needed rocking were rocked. The ones who were able to fall asleep without it were honestly more content and I had an easier time managing overall.

I'm sorry though, I'm wondering if maybe your baby is gassy. At that age sometimes they have burps stuck that they feel when they're lying down. You can also try rhythmically patting your baby's back.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:14 am
mushkamothers wrote:
Is this your first baby? This isn't true. You can do what it takes to get him to sleep, he's still a newborn.

Not my first. Truth is I tried rocking/patting but he’s inconsolable

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:21 am
mushkamothers wrote:

I still rock my 2 year old to sleep sometimes. At any age you can. When they are ready they will learn. You don’t need to a baby how to sleep. It will come naturally for them.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:22 am
[quote="amother OP"]Not my first. Truth is I tried rocking/patting but he’s inconsolable[/quote
Do you think he’s going through a growth spurt and is hungry? Are you sure you have enough of a milk supply? Maybe it’s getting too low? Have you tried a bottle of formula?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:45 am
amother Oldlace wrote:
I'm going to disagree with some posters. If your baby is falling asleep mostly independently I would not start rocking to sleep at this point. I have a bunch of kids and the ones who needed rocking were rocked. The ones who were able to fall asleep without it were honestly more content and I had an easier time managing overall.

I'm sorry though, I'm wondering if maybe your baby is gassy. At that age sometimes they have burps stuck that they feel when they're lying down. You can also try rhythmically patting your baby's back.

Than you, I agree. He kind of squirms when I lay him down so gas makes kinda sense, though he could have been happily playing on a mat a few mins ago.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:48 am
[quote="amother PlumPink"]
amother OP wrote:
Not my first. Truth is I tried rocking/patting but he’s inconsolable[/quote
Do you think he’s going through a growth spurt and is hungry? Are you sure you have enough of a milk supply? Maybe it’s getting too low? Have you tried a bottle of formula?

He vehemently refused to latch, he’s clearly not hungry

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:50 am
amother OP wrote:
He vehemently refused to latch, he’s clearly not hungry

But maybe he’s refusing because the milk supply is low? Idk I’m just trying to trouble shoot. You can try a bottle and see what happens also. Or maybe he’s uncomfortable and gassy you can ask your pediatrician about drops to give him.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 8:57 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
But maybe he’s refusing because the milk supply is low? Idk I’m just trying to trouble shoot. You can try a bottle and see what happens also. Or maybe he’s uncomfortable and gassy you can ask your pediatrician about drops to give him.

Hmm, I’ll try a bottle tonight and see if he goes for it

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 9:36 am
amother OP wrote:
Hmm, I’ll try a bottle tonight and see if he goes for it

Unless you're formula feeding I wouldn't introduce formula if he's refusing nursing and you think he has gas. Have you tried to massage his stomach and bicycle his legs to get gas out. You can also try windi by Frida baby
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics