Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you get your kids to sleep

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 9:23 pm
I can’t get my kids to bed. Five kids, 11 and under. How do organized super moms do it? Looking for practical advice. It’s 9:22 and only the two year old is sleeping. I’m laying in bed with 5 year old and the 7 year old in shower. 9 and 11 haven’t begun to get ready for bed.

sunshine23

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 9:33 pm
1. Melatonin 1 mg or half mg
2. Story cds in bed
3. If all else fails I tell them I will need to close their door which they hate

precious

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 9:34 pm
What time do you start bedtime?
At around 7 it's time for kid #1 to put on PJs, then at 7:30 into bed while kid #2 changes. Then at 8 put kid #2 to bed. 8:30 is kid #3 etc. Bath nights are every other night usually my husband to is home to help with baths. Older kids who take on their own 8+ I try to get in shower at least 45 min before bedtime.

bsy

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:13 pm
I put on story tapes or CDs

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 7:45 pm
precious wrote:
What time do you start bedtime?
At around 7 it's time for kid #1 to put on PJs, then at 7:30 into bed while kid #2 changes. Then at 8 put kid #2 to bed. 8:30 is kid #3 etc. Bath nights are every other night usually my husband to is home to help with baths. Older kids who take on their own 8+ I try to get in shower at least 45 min before bedtime.

The thing is my youngest takes forever to get to sleep and puts me off schedule completely.

bsy

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 8:06 pm
123455 wrote:
The thing is my youngest takes forever to get to sleep and puts me off schedule completely.

Can you try putting on something for the kid to listen to and then you don't have to stay?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 8:16 pm
I don't sit with them while they fall asleep. They go to sleep on their own.

It's on a schedule. Toddler (I'm calling her a toddler, but she's already 3) and the next up get ready at the same time -- the older one goes to the bathroom while the younger one is taking a bath, and then the older one goes into the bath when the toddler is getting changed. Usually dh does the two of them while I'm with the baby or cleaning up from dinner, but sometimes we do the opposite. Then while they're brushing their teeth I tell the next one up to get ready for a shower. Dh takes the toddler and reads books while I read to the older of the two, and make sure that the next one up is in the shower. By the time that one comes out, toddler is generally in bed, then I put baby in depending on when last nap was, then I put the third one in. Fourth youngest comes out and we have bedtime routine (or homework if that wasn't finished yet). The older ones take showers later because they stay up later, but the younger three are asleep by 8 or slightly after, and the fourth one not long after that. Which means that by 8:15/8:30 I only have the older ones up.

Without dh it's harder. On a night when they're not having baths, it's easier and there might be playtime if they're ready early.

If I sat with my toddler until she fell asleep, I'd never get the rest of them in. She's generally up when her older sibling comes into the room, and often for a little while afterwards. She knows it's bedtime and at bedtime we stay in bed. Same with the others.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 8:24 pm
You don't have to get them to sleep.

You have to get them to remain in bed.

Don't lay either them till they fall asleep

You can lay with them for a few minutes to cuddle
Or for them to share

But not till they're asleep.

Putting on cd is a good idea.

precious

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 8:35 pm
123455 wrote:

So I've been having that too. The Dr suggested giving melatonin (I give less than 1/2 mg) for a short while to get child back on schedule. On nights without melatonin, if my husband is not available for child #2, I tell child #1 I have to go put child #2 to sleep and I'll be back soon if you're quiet and stay in bed. And then I'm back and forth between the two for a while which is frustrating. But while I'm back and forth I'll still call up child #3 to start getting ready.

cla

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 9:17 pm
Stories on naki radio are fantastic.

Zahler makes a chewable called child calm. Magnesium and some herbs. Since we do that we no longer need melatonin. And Magnesium is so important for everyone. My kids Don't love the taste but it's ok.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics