Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Halacha to light in the sukah?
Previous  1  2

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 9:01 am
LovesHashem wrote:
My rav and many rabbanim hold that if you are lighting with a group of other people and your lights aren't separate, it doesn't fulfill the Commandment. They hold that you should also use the lights in your room, or bathroom, and say a bracha on all of that together.

I also have a sefer on this and that's what they reccomend. Ideally you should light where you're eating, and ideally you should light candles or oil, but in a hotel or a hospital situation it's better for you to use electric lights by yourself with also waiting with oil or candles with the group.

For sukkos I was told this ideal to light where you're eating, but if they will blow out or it's unsafe you should light inside

Interesting. When I’m in a group lighting situation, try to move mine to the side a little so they are separate.
What do you do in a situation where there are a lot of relatives who get together and they all light together? Not in a hotel.
The only time I’ve ever been told not to use a candle or oil was when I was in the hospital. Even when I was in a hotel for shabbos just our family, I was told to light tea lights in the sink. When we were away for shabbos recently and we’re eating somewhere else, I lit where we slept and stayed there until my husband came back from davening.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 10:58 am
You're supposed to benefit from the light and also have it for kavod shabbos. So we davka turn on an electric light that will help us in a room we use as well as light where we eat (always).
Every Friday, I turn on the dining room light and light the candles having the electric light in mind.
So for Sukkos, I might turn on the kitchen light or some other one and also light in the sukkah.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Sep 30 2023, 12:34 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
You're supposed to benefit from the light and also have it for kavod shabbos. So we davka turn on an electric light that will help us in a room we use as well as light where we eat (always).
Every Friday, I turn on the dining room light and light the candles having the electric light in mind.
So for Sukkos, I might turn on the kitchen light or some other one and also light in the sukkah.

Yeah this is what we do. So the light can be a bathroom off your private room, or a shabbos lamp, or something you will have benefit from. We do the electric lights, and then we rush to do actual lighting without a break or talking in between, and then we say a bracha.

I say we because I think during some of my hospitalizations DH has done it instead of me because I wasnt able to leave bed.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics