Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Halacha to light in the sukah?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 5:43 pm
Anyone know if its halacha to light in the sukkah?
I grew up doing this, but not sure if its "nice" or halacha.
Its a bit nervewracking with the kids running around....

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 6:01 pm
I'm Sephardi (Rav Ovadia Yosef), we don't light in the Sukkah. My mil doesn't either (Ben Ish Hai).

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 6:05 pm
It’s a minhag.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:38 pm
I don't think so.
My mom does because it's indoors and not much different than the dining room.
I dont. It's a huge hazard, mines down a flight of stairs and around the alleyway.
My mil lights in her regular space, her sukkah is right off her dining room. It can be seen when making kiddush.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 8:33 pm
Thank you so much

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 8:54 pm
It's Halacha. That's why it's better to ask a Rav than random women. BUT it has to be safe. If your Sukkah could catch fire or there are little kids that could knock them over then light elsewhere.

Good Friend

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:00 pm
You’re supposed to light where you’ll be koveiya seuda, which is in the sukka.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:05 pm
Best to light in the sukkah if you’re eating in the sukkah. Safety is a big issue. Ask your rav. Some people light in the sukkah and then dh brings them inside. If you eat outside but light inside you might be told to sit with the candles for a certain amount of time. Ask and let us know what you ended up doing.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:07 pm
Good Friend wrote:
You’re supposed to light where you’ll be koveiya seuda, which is in the sukka.

When you go to a hotel for shabbos or for Yom tov, candle lighting is in the lobby. When you go to a Simcha, the candle lighting is often in another room, not where you are eating. I’m not paskening halacha, but I think “where you will be eating” doesn’t necessarily mean in that room, but just within the building. In a house it’s easy to light in the room where you eat.

dena613

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:10 pm
I didn't ask my LOR, but heard a shiur once where Rov said you should, do tealights for safety. So I do.
If you are makpid on oil, you can squirt some oil into tealights

essie14

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 3:52 am
When it's not shabbat , my mother would light in the sukkah and then move the candles inside. On shabbat you obviously can't do that and she would light inside.
My sukkah is literally right off my dining room so I light in my regular place, and especially since tonight is Shabbat.
Never heard that it's halacha. Most sukkot that I visit don't have candles.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 3:56 am
We never light in the sukah. Its way too windy where I live.
Growing up we also never lit in the sukah as my parents didnt want to leave candles burning outside when we would be done with the seuda.
For us now, our sukah is right off the dinning room, so we can see the candles fromthe sukah very nicely.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 4:10 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
When you go to a hotel for shabbos or for Yom tov, candle lighting is in the lobby. When you go to a Simcha, the candle lighting is often in another room, not where you are eating. I’m not paskening halacha, but I think “where you will be eating” doesn’t necessarily mean in that room, but just within the building. In a house it’s easy to light in the room where you eat.

My rav and many rabbanim hold that if you are lighting with a group of other people and your lights aren't separate, it doesn't fulfill the Commandment. They hold that you should also use the lights in your room, or bathroom, and say a bracha on all of that together.

I also have a sefer on this and that's what they reccomend. Ideally you should light where you're eating, and ideally you should light candles or oil, but in a hotel or a hospital situation it's better for you to use electric lights by yourself with also waiting with oil or candles with the group.

For sukkos I was told this ideal to light where you're eating, but if they will blow out or it's unsafe you should light inside

s1

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 4:56 am
I heard a rov say that if you can , you should. But if you'd feel nervous or worried about the safety of it , then the halacha is you don't have to.
More of a problem with shabbos Cos you can't move them ...

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 5:31 am
I light in my dining room as usual. But my sukka is an opening roof in the playroom which is off the dining room . So it's essentially the same room as there is no door in between.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 6:25 am
I light where they could be seen from the table. DH needs to see them while making kiddush. For me that is the regular place. In previous homes I used a menora box in the sukka.

juggling

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 6:32 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
We never light in the sukah. Its way too windy where I live.
Growing up we also never lit in the sukah as my parents didnt want to leave candles burning outside when we would be done with the seuda.
For us now, our sukah is right off the dinning room, so we can see the candles fromthe sukah very nicely.

I don't know if this would solve your issue, but I light in a little glass box, similar to the ones people use for chanukah candles. (I also know people who literally use the ones from their chanukah candles.). I've also seen people use candle lanterns (Ikea sells these), same idea.

The flames don't go out from the wind. If you're worried about the wind actually knocking over the glass boxes, then I have no good ideas for you.

In any case, if you're lighting in a place you can see from the sukkah I think that's a decent solution.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 6:44 am
juggling wrote:
I don't know if this would solve your issue, but I light in a little glass box, similar to the ones people use for chanukah candles. (I also know people who literally use the ones from their chanukah candles.). I've also seen people use candle lanterns (Ikea sells these), same idea.

The flames don't go out from the wind. If you're worried about the wind actually knocking over the glass boxes, then I have no good ideas for you.

I have a solution! Attach the glass box to the wall!

Now I'm writing that, I realise it only works because one wall of our sukkah is the house wall, and we put screws in there to hold the glass box. It is out of reach of children, a d doesn't take up valuable space in the sukkah.

If you have a canvas or wood sukkah that probably wouldn't work.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 7:07 am
I'm debating what to do tonight if it's raining.

juggling

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 7:15 am
Elfrida wrote:
I have a solution! Attach the glass box to the wall!

Now I'm writing that, I realise it only works because one wall of our sukkah is the house wall, and we put screws in there to hold the glass box. It is out of reach of children, a d doesn't take up valuable space in the sukkah.

If you have a canvas or wood sukkah that probably wouldn't work.

Yes, great solution for your case. Our sukkah is canvas, it's also not anywhere near our house (it is what it is, we don't have a better option). We do have space inside the sukkah for a "serving table" and I put my candle boxes on that table, far enough from either edge that I'm not too worried about them getting knocked.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics