Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Rain first night Succos
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 11:50 am
Dh told me we still need to eat in the sukkah. Even if it's pouring?? At what point do you eat in the house?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 11:51 am
amother OP wrote:
Dh told me we still need to eat in the sukkah. Even if it's pouring?? At what point do you eat in the house?

The first night you need to wait and wait and wait. I’m sure there’s some point at which you don’t need to wait anymore, but it’s not a quick thing.

hodeez

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 11:51 am
Say Kiddush in the sukkah then eat inside

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 11:52 am
hodeez wrote:

This

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 11:54 am
hodeez wrote:

This

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 11:54 am
hodeez wrote:

We do similar. Wait until it’s not pouring too heavily. Make kiddush, make hamotzi, eat a kzayis outside, finish meal inside. It’s always so sad when it rains the first night. There’s a big area that’s supposed to get rain. I keep hoping they’re wrong.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 11:59 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
We do similar. Wait until it’s not pouring too heavily. Make kiddush, make hamotzi, eat a kzayis outside, finish meal inside. It’s always so sad when it rains the first night. There’s a big area that’s supposed to get rain. I keep hoping they’re wrong.

Where is it supposed to rain?

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 12:01 pm
DH would eat in the sukkah even in the rain. He doesn’t expect me or the kids to. I respect him for that.
I really hope the weather changes though! I hate when it rains sukkos after all the hard work!

YounginBP

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 12:02 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:

Brooklyn, Fuhgeddaboudit

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 12:04 pm
hodeez wrote:

Yes, but the question is how long do you have to wait before making kiddush, and what is considered rain. I’m pretty sure there are different opinions on both.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 12:06 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Yes, but the question is how long do you have to wait before making kiddush, and what is considered rain. I’m pretty sure there are different opinions on both.

There are. I leave it to dh. I know someone who waits until midnight. Glad dh doesn’t do that.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 12:09 pm
hodeez wrote:

kidush and hamotzai in the Succa. the whole reason why youre eating in the suca is because of the bread. I think if its gonna rain all night theres no reason to wait. Dh said something about its a little different on the second night if it rains, but I didn understand. Hopefully it'll clear up by then.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 12:11 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:

Lakewood. Passaic. Teaneck. Monsey. Catskills. NYC area including 5T, Queens, Bklyn, SI. All the way to Philadelphia.

Sad

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 12:20 pm
https://dinonline.org/2023/09/.....ling/

This is a great article with halachic opinions on rain in the succah, including first night.

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 12:22 pm
What do you do if it rains on Sukkos first or second night?
by Rabbi Yitzchok D. Frankel

While it is not within the scope of this article to deal with all the philosophical implications of rain on Sukkos, suffice it to say that our sages have told us that it is not a sign of blessing to be forced out of the sukkah. We pray, therefore, that this question remains in the field of the theoretical.

To properly understand the following answer, a number of fundamental points must be prefaced.
1- To say birchas haMazon, at any time, a minimum of a kizayis (the volume of flour equal to the volume of an olive) must be eaten within approximately four minutes.
2- For one to be permitted to say the bracha of "leishev baSukkah," a minimum of a (more than) kibeitza (the volume equals to double that of a kizayis) of bread or cake must be eaten in the sukkah.
3- The bracha of "shehechiyanu" relates also to the sukkah; but only on the first night of Sukkos.
4- The poskim disagree as to the requirements of eating in the sukkah on the first two nights of Sukkos if it is raining. The opinion of the Rama is that there is a requirement to eat a minimum of a kizayis in the sukkah, even in the rain, on the first two nights. Other poskim hold that the exemption of eating in the sukkah in the rain applies equally to all the days of Sukkos.
5- The inability to make a bracha on a mitzvah does not affect the fulfillment of that mitzvah.
6- We are strict whenever we have a doubt concerning the fulfillment of a Torah law.
7- We do not make a bracha whenever we have a doubt concerning the correctness of that bracha.
8- The requirement of kiddush can only be fulfilled at the place where the person is eating. Eating in this context requires either a kizayis of bread or food of the five grains (those items requiring the brocho of mezonos).
9- Since the mitzvah of sukkah is dependent on a specific time, women are exempted.

Response

I- On the first night of Sukkos a married man or one eating with female family members or young children should wait approximately one hour to see if the rain will stop. If the rain continues he should go into the sukkah; say kiddush with "shehechiyanu," wash and eat at least a kizayis of bread in the rain. He should NOT say "leishev baSukkah." He may then complete his meal in the house. After the meal, he should wait until 1:04am DST(in NYC)* to see if the rain will stop. If the rain stops, he then washes, enters the sukkah again, says the brocho "leishev baSukkah," eats at least a (more than) kibeitza of bread and then says birchas haMazon.

II- On the second night, if it rains, one need not wait at all and he may begin his meal immediately in the house. Kiddush with "shehechiyanu" is made in the house. This would even apply to a single person. At the end of the meal, before benching, even if it is still raining, he should eat a kizayis of bread in the sukka in the rain. Again, a bracha of "leishev baSukkah" is not said. A bracha of "shehechiyanu" is not needed for the sukkah on the second night. One may then go back into the house to bentch. According to many poskim, even on the second night, one should wait until 1:04am DST (in NYC)* to see if the rain stops. If the rain does stop then the procedure is the same as the first night.

III- On all other days or nights of Sukkos, if the rain is so strong in the sukkah that if it was raining in the house a person would be driven out of his home to find other shelter, or if the rain is ruining his food, preventing him from eating, he need not eat in the sukka. If one has already started his meal inside, and the rain stops, he may complete his meal in the house.

IV- The above procedures incorporate the need to have kiddush at the same locale where the meal is taking place when everyone eating eats together. This issue needs to be clarified for the female members of the family when they choose not to eat in the sukkah while it is raining.

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 1:48 pm
First of all-women never have to eat in the sukkah. So it’s not you. It’s males. If you don’t want to eat in the sukkah, you don’t have to. If you do, it’s nice.
The first two nights-I think you (men) wait (up to 2 hours) and try to make kiddush/motzi. And eat the shiur in the sukkah. (Yes, men have to eat the same shiur of challah as matzah the first two nights of Sukkos. Without talking. Just sitting and eating challah. Like Pesach. But you can have challah.) After that, you (males) can eat inside. If it stops raining no one has to go back to the sukkah.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 2:03 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
What do you do if it rains on Sukkos first or second night?
by Rabbi Yitzchok D. Frankel

While it is not within the scope of this article to deal with all the philosophical implications of rain on Sukkos, suffice it to say that our sages have told us that it is not a sign of blessing to be forced out of the sukkah. We pray, therefore, that this question remains in the field of the theoretical.

To properly understand the following answer, a number of fundamental points must be prefaced.
1- To say birchas haMazon, at any time, a minimum of a kizayis (the volume of flour equal to the volume of an olive) must be eaten within approximately four minutes.
2- For one to be permitted to say the bracha of "leishev baSukkah," a minimum of a (more than) kibeitza (the volume equals to double that of a kizayis) of bread or cake must be eaten in the sukkah.
3- The bracha of "shehechiyanu" relates also to the sukkah; but only on the first night of Sukkos.
4- The poskim disagree as to the requirements of eating in the sukkah on the first two nights of Sukkos if it is raining. The opinion of the Rama is that there is a requirement to eat a minimum of a kizayis in the sukkah, even in the rain, on the first two nights. Other poskim hold that the exemption of eating in the sukkah in the rain applies equally to all the days of Sukkos.
5- The inability to make a bracha on a mitzvah does not affect the fulfillment of that mitzvah.
6- We are strict whenever we have a doubt concerning the fulfillment of a Torah law.
7- We do not make a bracha whenever we have a doubt concerning the correctness of that bracha.
8- The requirement of kiddush can only be fulfilled at the place where the person is eating. Eating in this context requires either a kizayis of bread or food of the five grains (those items requiring the brocho of mezonos).
9- Since the mitzvah of sukkah is dependent on a specific time, women are exempted.

Response

I- On the first night of Sukkos a married man or one eating with female family members or young children should wait approximately one hour to see if the rain will stop. If the rain continues he should go into the sukkah; say kiddush with "shehechiyanu," wash and eat at least a kizayis of bread in the rain. He should NOT say "leishev baSukkah." He may then complete his meal in the house. After the meal, he should wait until 1:04am DST(in NYC)* to see if the rain will stop. If the rain stops, he then washes, enters the sukkah again, says the brocho "leishev baSukkah," eats at least a (more than) kibeitza of bread and then says birchas haMazon.

II- On the second night, if it rains, one need not wait at all and he may begin his meal immediately in the house. Kiddush with "shehechiyanu" is made in the house. This would even apply to a single person. At the end of the meal, before benching, even if it is still raining, he should eat a kizayis of bread in the sukka in the rain. Again, a bracha of "leishev baSukkah" is not said. A bracha of "shehechiyanu" is not needed for the sukkah on the second night. One may then go back into the house to bentch. According to many poskim, even on the second night, one should wait until 1:04am DST (in NYC)* to see if the rain stops. If the rain does stop then the procedure is the same as the first night.

III- On all other days or nights of Sukkos, if the rain is so strong in the sukkah that if it was raining in the house a person would be driven out of his home to find other shelter, or if the rain is ruining his food, preventing him from eating, he need not eat in the sukka. If one has already started his meal inside, and the rain stops, he may complete his meal in the house.

IV- The above procedures incorporate the need to have kiddush at the same locale where the meal is taking place when everyone eating eats together. This issue needs to be clarified for the female members of the family when they choose not to eat in the sukkah while it is raining.

I’m very close with one of his daughters!!! My husband doesn’t hold this way though.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 2:06 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:

Most of the north east

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 2:06 pm
Is it bad that I’m relieved to eat inside?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 2:08 pm
https://thelakewoodscoop.com/n.....ally/

Another what to do if it rains article
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics