Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
Formula recommendations (USA), baby not happy
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:18 am
My baby is 7 weeks old.
He's not a happy camper.
I started him out with Enfamil milk gentlease.
From week 3 to 6 he had green runny poop, seemed like diarrhea to me.
I switched him to the Enfamil Prosobee (soy based). For the first day he was calmer. Napped beautifully during the day without waking every 10 minutes. His poop right away changed to a creamy yellow.
I thought this was the solution.
But after that he was extremely fussy again. His poops were still regular but he's passing tons of gas and is very unhappy. I can see his stomach is bothering him a lot. He doesn't nap calmly and is constantly waking in pain.
Basically I feel like I'm back to square one.
Pediatrician said I should try switching him back to milk based and try the Enfamil but not the gentlease. Sometimes people found that their babies were less gassy on the regular one (not gentlease).
Anyway, so I did. After 2 bottles he's back to runny poop though it's still yellow not green like before. It's been 24 hours and he still looks terribly uncomfortable and unhappy. And I don't like that his stools are loose again.
I'm gonna keep at this formula for 3 days and see how it goes but I don't think this is it.
Pediatrician said to just keep experimenting with different formulas. Sometimes different brands are tolerated differently.
She also gave me reflux medication in case I want to try that. I don't think he has reflux, he barely spits up. I'm not going to give that yet.
Anyway, so my question is, what formula do I try next?
For the record he gives me 2 stretches of about 3 hours each at night.
But he's clearly not happy and very uncomfortable the rest of the time.

My last baby used the Target brand gentlease and was totally fine on it, never had to switch. Production is very unreliable though and they're always out of stock.

scintilla

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:20 am
I would ask for a referral to a GI who can test for a sensitivity to dairy & soy. Many babies have it & grow out of it by 12 months, and if so they can help you get neocate or a similar dairy+soy free option.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:23 am
scintilla wrote:
I would ask for a referral to a GI who can test for a sensitivity to dairy & soy. Many babies have it & grow out of it by 12 months, and if so they can help you get neocate or a similar dairy+soy free option.

My question is should I jump to that right away? Pediatrician didn't seem to think he's allergic, said I would see blood in the stool if yes.
Also he's gaining beautifully.
She seemed to think I just need to find the brand that agrees with him.

scintilla

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:25 am
amother OP wrote:
My question is should I jump to that right away? Pediatrician didn't seem to think he's allergic, said I would see blood in the stool if yes.
Also he's gaining beautifully.
She seemed to think I just need to find the brand that agrees with him.

I never saw blood in the stool and 2 of my kids had that, I also tried so many formulas and none worked so I personally feel that it's better and quicker to do one appointment with a GI and just get to the root of it, but it's definitely not black and white because it might not be a sensitivity thing. It's very quick and easy to find out if it is though.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 11:23 am
scintilla wrote:
I never saw blood in the stool and 2 of my kids had that, I also tried so many formulas and none worked so I personally feel that it's better and quicker to do one appointment with a GI and just get to the root of it, but it's definitely not black and white because it might not be a sensitivity thing. It's very quick and easy to find out if it is though.

Thanks.
So the test can pick up if he's sensitive but not necessarily allergic?

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 11:30 am
Fyi green runny poop is normal on gentlease. My baby has the same, it has to do with the formula and it's not a reaction. You can search reddit and you'll see that it's the norm. I also use kendamil and my baby has yellow poops on that that look much more similar to breastmilk poop, and on reguline the poop is yellow but similar consistency to gentlease. All normal.

scintilla

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 11:55 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks.
So the test can pick up if he's sensitive but not necessarily allergic?

From my understanding yes, it's like a kind of dairy intolerance that babies often have and they grow out of it usually by 12 months. And babies that have that often have the same sensitivity to soy.

Not an expert just had it with 2 of my kids.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:14 pm
amother Pear wrote:
Fyi green runny poop is normal on gentlease. My baby has the same, it has to do with the formula and it's not a reaction. You can search reddit and you'll see that it's the norm. I also use kendamil and my baby has yellow poops on that that look much more similar to breastmilk poop, and on reguline the poop is yellow but similar consistency to gentlease. All normal.

I don't know I'm just so confused as what to do.
On the milk formula his poop was a very very dark green (almost black) and liquidy. Google said it can be a milk sensitivity.
My last baby was also on the gentle milk formula (Target) and never had this.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:14 pm
scintilla wrote:
From my understanding yes, it's like a kind of dairy intolerance that babies often have and they grow out of it usually by 12 months. And babies that have that often have the same sensitivity to soy.

Not an expert just had it with 2 of my kids.

Gonna ask my pediatrician about it.

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't know I'm just so confused as what to do.
On the milk formula his poop was a very very dark green (almost black) and liquidy. Google said it can be a milk sensitivity.
My last baby was also on the gentle milk formula (Target) and never had this.

The target version and the enfamil version are not exactly the same, and the poop won't look the same. Almost black is not normal, a dark green is.

amother
Snow

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:17 pm
Try similac total comfort . It's a lactose reduced formula using 100% whey . Works well and tastes good. It does get very foamy tho . I can get gas drops if needed btw for any formula. Sometimes they get gassy. Also makes a diff on bottle you use.

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:17 pm
For foamy formula it's better to mix with a fork and not shake.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 8:36 pm
amother Snow wrote:
Try similac total comfort . It's a lactose reduced formula using 100% whey . Works well and tastes good. It does get very foamy tho . I can get gas drops if needed btw for any formula. Sometimes they get gassy. Also makes a diff on bottle you use.

Similac Total Comfort Infant Formula, Imported, Easy-to-Digest Baby Formula Powder, Non-GMO, 820 g (28.9 oz) Can https://a.co/d/g7h3Kns

This one?
Do you have a recommendation for gas drops?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 8:42 pm
Similac Pro-Total Comfort Infant Formula with Iron, Gentle, Easy-to-Digest Formula, with 2'-FL HMO for Immune Support, Non-GMO, Baby Formula Powder, 20.1-oz Tub https://a.co/d/9f45rij

Or is it this?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 5:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Similac Total Comfort Infant Formula, Imported, Easy-to-Digest Baby Formula Powder, Non-GMO, 820 g (28.9 oz) Can https://a.co/d/g7h3Kns

This one?
Do you have a recommendation for gas drops?

I ordered this too fast without looking closely. Just got it and there's no OU. Is it because it's European? Is there a European equivalent on it? Anyone knows?
Can't return it.

gigglemom

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:24 pm
KENDAMILLLLLLL I cant say this enough! im a babysitter and its the best formula!!

GLUE

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
I ordered this too fast without looking closely. Just got it and there's no OU. Is it because it's European? Is there a European equivalent on it? Anyone knows?
Can't return it.

Are you the one who donated 3 cans of that to my G'mach?

I was thinking of calling up the OU and asking if it's Kosher, never got around to it.
The cans I have say made in Spain.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:42 pm
GLUE wrote:
Are you the one who donated 3 cans of that to my G'mach?

I was thinking of calling up the OU and asking if it's Kosher, never got around to it.
The cans I have say made in Spain.

Nope. I just ordered one piece and it came a few hours ago Very Happy .

GLUE

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 6:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Nope. I just ordered one piece and it came a few hours ago Very Happy .

If you find out they are Kosher and live in Lakewood I have 3 cans.

GLUE

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 7:00 pm
I just checked I have one 12oz can of the American venison that has the OU-D
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding