Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
How to keep food warm not burn on r”h Friday night

hanna2010

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 7:34 pm
I typically heat my food up very well before shabbos and turn off oven at licht bentching. We don’t have long meals and food is nice and warm. Works well for us.

But with Rosh hashana, meal is going to be considerably later.
I plan to keep my oven on 250 for the entire Yom tov but how can I insure food won’t dry out?

Also, what do people do for such a situation when using a hot plate.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 7:39 pm
hanna2010 wrote:
I typically heat my food up very well before shabbos and turn off oven at licht bentching. We don’t have long meals and food is nice and warm. Works well for us.

I plan to keep my oven on 250 for the entire Yom tov but how can I insure food won’t dry out?

We keep our oven on 225° or 250° every Yom tov, and the food rarely dries out.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 7:45 pm
hanna2010 wrote:

Staying in the oven at a low 250 for an extra 90 minutes won’t dry it out…

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 8:54 am
Just remember if there's food in the oven that's on you can only open it once on Shabbos and you need to remove it all then.

daredevil

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 8:57 am
Ur allowed to open an oven that's on over shabbos???

lkwdmom2

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 9:37 am
sl1 wrote:

Of course
Some people say to take everything out at once but we were told dont have to. Lakewood yeshivish

Highstrung

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 9:51 am
sl1 wrote:

There are ovens with Shabbos Mode.
Also , make sure your oven light is off / not working if you don’t have Shabbos Mode.

ittsamother

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 9:57 am
We received a psak that if you set your oven to Shabbos mode, you can wait til the oven heating elements turn on (as they do every so often when the temp drops too much, in order to keep your oven at the desired temp) and then open the door, as you are not causing the oven to do anything, it's already in middle of doing it on its own.

Similar to waiting until your ac is already on to take out the shabbos clock timer piece that would make it turn off.

He did also say that b'dieved if you are pressed for time, like if the challah is in the oven and the family is waiting to say kiddush, you can pull the door open with a shinui, like by yanking on a towel that's hanging from the handle, without having to wait for the heating elements to turn on.

So def ask your LOR what he holds.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 9:59 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Just remember if there's food in the oven that's on you can only open it once on Shabbos and you need to remove it all then.

Our Lakewood yeshivish Rav does not hold this way, but it may be specific to our oven (Shabbos mode, etc...) He says we can open and remove as needed, but to do so quickly, leave oven open for short durations....

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 11:19 am
Chayalle wrote:
Our Lakewood yeshivish Rav does not hold this way, but it may be specific to our oven (Shabbos mode, etc...) He says we can open and remove as needed, but to do so quickly, leave oven open for short durations....

Ok thanks!
I should clarify this is the psak of Rav Moshe Heinemann shlita of the Star K and my rav who was trained in by the CRC also holds this way.

Definitely if you go by different rabbonim check with what they say!

sarah14

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 11:35 am
I posted on another thread a tip for keeping food from drying out. You put a bekela/ pan w water and place it under the food. As long as there’s water in the pan it will def not dry out.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 11:37 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

This is not true across the board. You have to take everything out of you move something or pull out the rack. We leave stuff in and don’t move anything around and don’t pull out the rack.

thanks

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:04 pm
Highstrung wrote:
There are ovens with Shabbos Mode.
Also , make sure your oven light is off / not working if you don’t have Shabbos Mode.

Even if you have shabbos mode, make sure the light is not turning on when you open the door.
My ge oven has shabbos mode, and we need to make sure to leave on the light. It seems they missed it in the mode.

Highstrung

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 12:13 pm
thanks wrote:
Even if you have shabbos mode, make sure the light is not turning on when you open the door.
My ge oven has shabbos mode, and we need to make sure to leave on the light. It seems they missed it in the mode.

Wow, I thought that’s part of what it means to be on Shabbos mode, that no lights or beeps go on or off when opening or closing the oven door

tymama

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 6:07 pm
sl1 wrote:

Yes as long as everything inside is cooked 100 percent
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics