Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Do you look forward to, or dread the Yomim Tovim?
1  2  Next

Do you look forward to Yom Tov?
Yes, I love Yom Tov  
 51%  [ 68 ]
No, I dread it  
 32%  [ 42 ]
Neither. I’m neutral  
 16%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 131

Cheiny

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 1:07 pm
I’ve realized some people have very strong feelings about Yomim Tovim in general. Obviously people’s individual circumstance and family situations have a big effect on these feelings…

After answering, please explain why.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 1:09 pm
Really looking forward. Though a bit overwhelmed with the extra responsibilities that come with yom tov.

happy chick

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 1:13 pm
A little bit of if both.

Ok, a lot of both.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 1:27 pm
I love yom tov itself.

The extra work leading up to it...I view it as my avodah to work on myself so that I like that time as well. I try to make it a nice time for my children as well, which is hard when I'm so busy.

It also depends on the yom tov. Are having company, going anywhere else for meals, three-day vs. two-day, am I pregnant/postpartum...all of these things affect it. But I really do try to infuse yom tov with spirituality, whether that means listening to shiurim online or actually pulling out a sefer for the five minutes that everyone is asleep or occupied. I find that preparing for the yom tov makes me stay in the right mindframe over yom tov.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 1:41 pm
I always used to love it , but at the same time I had a cloud of sadness that floated over me around each Yom Tov . It reminded me of my childhood being shuffled from one parent to the other due to divorce so that it could give them each the opportunity to spend time with their kids Yom Tov . But besides that , it felt overwhelming for me ever since I’ve been a newlywed that I will never be able to just move in to my parents and spend time with them for Yom Tov. I’m the one that always did the hosting and still do for my parents , siblings etc and rarely if ever got to be the hosted one. Even if I do go to a parent , I was the one who did all the cooking , cleaning etc. and it felt like the same old same old , me doing everything while everyone else enjoys the rest and relaxation.
Now with a very intense schedule I find Yom Tov to be another thing on my list of things to do. I don’t love it and don’t hate it or dread it. But it’s not something that relaxes me or makes me feel like I’m truly celebrating anything . It just means more time on my feet and more setting up and cleaning up .
Some people say they had a beautiful Yom Tov and it’s hard for me to ever say the same. My food is always delicious, my table is always set nice , but deep inside me I don’t feel the beauty of what Yom Tov is supposed to be. At least lately that’s how I feel.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 2:05 pm
happy chick wrote:
A little bit of if both.

Ok, a lot of both.

Same sister.

(I’m not voting.)

baked ziti

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 2:05 pm
I really don't enjoy it. The kids are bored and off schedule. There's no down time. I just feel touched /talked out by everyone. In case you can't tell, I'm an introvert Smile

Goody2shoes

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 2:10 pm
I love Yom Tov, though by the time it's over I'm more then ready for routine and regular schedules.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 2:10 pm
I make very quiet yomim tovim/shabboses. I like them that way, so I look forward to them Smile

Highstrung

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 2:11 pm
baked ziti wrote:
I really don't enjoy it. The kids are bored and off schedule. There's no down time. I just feel touched /talked out by everyone. In case you can't tell, I'm an introvert Smile

Totally feel you.

ap

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 2:15 pm
Depends on my stage in life

lovingmommy3417

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 2:17 pm
I didn't vote because my answer is both.
I love yommim tovim so much, but they are also very difficult.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 2:24 pm
I love Yomim Tovim. I look forward to them all year. I call it our time with HaShem. He’s closer to us.

pinkpeonies

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 4:21 pm
I absolutely love yontif!!
I do go all out with my menu and table but it doesn’t stress me out because I love it
It’s the most special time ever for me!

hotpretzel

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 4:35 pm
I love yom tov!
Maybe its easier for me to love it because we pack up and travel to family vs doing all the menu planning and cooking!?

I love spending time with our family that we dont see often, its so special and enjoyable

baked ziti

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 6:39 pm
It also depends on age of kids/ stage of life. With a young baby who doesn't sleep and wants to be held a lot its a lot harder to enjoy the prep and the Yom tov itself. When you have a toddler who is a danger to himself and needs to be entertained throughout the long day, its hard to even feel Yom tov.

zoom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 6:52 pm
I dread it because of the clothes.
Am I the only one?

Eta: deleted most of my post cos saw it want anon enabled. Oh well.

fitmom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 7:39 pm
baked ziti wrote:

This, exactly.

DallasIma

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 7:40 pm
I am a widow living alone, although my community is like family. But I chose "dread" even though that's not exactly my feeling. More like, the Yomim Tovim are for families, and I'm long past that stage. There are some lovely things about YT, and I almost always get invitations for meals. It's just hard for me to feel the joy and the excitement.

glamourmom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:21 pm
yes, I BH love YT. (I didnt always. there are years when I dread it) the time leading up to it can be really hard and take a toll but once YT is here I love the slow pace of life, dh home so much more, spending chill time with the kids, sleeping more, davening more.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics