Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Leveled books

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 8:46 am
What company or program do you use for leveled books in your classroom? And what do you yes or not like about it? I teach reading privately, one on one and would like to get input from other teachers/tutors.

Thanks a lot!

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 9:36 am
As a private English reading teacher in Israel:

I really like Biff Chip and Kipper, just keep in mind that they are British and use British spelling. But they provide an excellent systematic leveled reading system.

I Can Read also has a leveled reading system, which I like but feels much less systematic.

Scholastic levels books as well, I also like their books, check their website for what they have.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 4:30 pm
Thank u!

anyone in America?

ShaniF

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 4:47 pm
ReadBright

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 6:04 pm
ShaniF wrote:
ReadBright

I second this

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 6:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank u!

anyone in America?

The concept of leveling books for instructional purposes is losing steam in America...now everything is science of reading and systematic instruction of phonics at all grade levels, with much less emphasis on guided reading groups. Prior to that, I'd have recommended Fountas and Pinnell, but they are kind of under fire now (along with Lucy Calkins). Or, I'd still recommend Reading A to Z, because they have so many options plus the books come with very complete lesson plans. I think they have some sort of benchmark assessment you can use, but I've never used it.

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 7:17 pm
Readbright is good
Rigby readers is also good. They have very many titles. Some are great stories.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:21 pm
ShaniF wrote:
ReadBright

Thanks for the suggestion. They are decodable readers on a very low level. I'm looking for leveled books that go from about first grade through third grade levels, that are not attached to any reading program. They get longer and have longer, harder words and less repetition as they go up the levels.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:32 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
The concept of leveling books for instructional purposes is losing steam in America...now everything is science of reading and systematic instruction of phonics at all grade levels, with much less emphasis on guided reading groups. Prior to that, I'd have recommended Fountas and Pinnell, but they are kind of under fire now (along with Lucy Calkins). Or, I'd still recommend Reading A to Z, because they have so many options plus the books come with very complete lesson plans. I think they have some sort of benchmark assessment you can use, but I've never used it.

Hi, do you mind explaining a bit about the change in the way reading is being taught?

I'm using the leveled books to increase fluency

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:57 pm
amother Pear wrote:
As a private English reading teacher in Israel:

I really like Biff Chip and Kipper, just keep in mind that they are British and use British spelling. But they provide an excellent systematic leveled reading system.

I Can Read also has a leveled reading system, which I like but feels much less systematic.

Scholastic levels books as well, I also like their books, check their website for what they have.

I enjoy scholastic as well. Just checked out the I can read books, it is definitely something I can enjoy. I see I have some in my house. I didn't realize. It's less leveled than the scholastic but maybe I can use them side by side.

ShaniF

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. They are decodable readers on a very low level. I'm looking for leveled books that go from about first grade through third grade levels, that are not attached to any reading program. They get longer and have longer, harder words and less repetition as they go up the levels.

So I use Readbright for the younger grades.
For older I use the I can read books and then over the years I've found random ones that I like and use the.

Examples that I can think of on the spot - Cam Jansen, Magic Treehouse, Flat Stanley, A-Z Mysteries (don't like them all so skim through before) ect.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:17 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:

I see there's a Fountas and Pinnel book list on Amazon for $68 (2 books)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 2:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi, do you mind explaining a bit about the change in the way reading is being taught?

I'm using the leveled books to increase fluency

So I did online research and I see it has stronger emphasis on phonics and not relying on trying to figure out the word from context, visualization and looks like continued phonics passed the basics that may have been taught in the past.

I think what you're referring to is using the leveled reading to teach word recognition. I'm looking to use it to increase fluency. I'm assuming that's not changing any time soon? How else do you teach fluency? For me it's helpful so that the child can find books they are comfortable with and can slowly increase their fluency and level of reading.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics