Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Are you/Did you fast today? Why or Why Not?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Are you fasting?
yes  
 30%  [ 50 ]
half day  
 6%  [ 10 ]
I'm chassidish and don't fast  
 7%  [ 12 ]
pregnant/nursing so not fasting  
 47%  [ 78 ]
other, please specify  
 7%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 163

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:22 pm
Nursing rocks. Especially on a fast day.

Tehilla

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:25 pm
pregnant (B"H) and not fasting.

I used to fast very well until I had my first child...then something happened to my body chemistry and even when I'm not pregnant or nursing I still have to eat with shiurim on Tisha B'Av and Yom Kippur. otherwise my hands start shaking, followed by weakness, vomiting and passing out.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:31 pm
I'm fasting a whole day, being that I have no reason not to and I was supposed to start my diet today, again. Rolling Eyes

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 4:14 pm
tehilla, that is so nice! I did not know!

I am nursing, so no fasting. the thought of having to fast very soon, even when nursing makes me shudder... I get so very hungry and thirsty when nursing....

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 4:15 pm
I'm Chassidish and I fasted today.

Tehilla - Beshaa Tova!!!

Pineapple

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 4:29 pm
I'm chassidish and I fasted a half a day

Cdlf

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 4:35 pm
It's so interesting to see all the different types of women out there and their different Minhagim. And there is no right or wrong!!!

pgk

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 4:45 pm
I am fasting. My two children are 16 months apart, and my younger one is now 21 months old. There are some people who are just itching to figure out whether or not I'm pregnant yet, and now's their chance. My sister-in-law just called to ask whether or not I'm fasting...

pgk

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 4:48 pm
To GetReal:

When I was pregnant with my daughter over Tisha B'Av, I was told NOT to fast (I was in my 7th month). I thought it might be because my husband asked his Chasidishe Rav, but my cousin who was due at the same time as me asked her very Litvishe Rav and she was also told not to fast. Check it out.

Abi Meleibt

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 5:40 pm
I have a 12 mths old bb but I decided to fast! Another 3 hours and counting!!

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 5:49 pm
I have a 5-month-old and I fasted. I don't always fast the minor fasts if I'm nursing, but fasting is actually easier that listening to my dh complain. It's harder for him than it is for me, but if I'm fasting too, he can't get so dramatic. LOL I don't usually fast minor fasts when pregnant, because I have a hard time eating/gaining weight during pregnancy even without fasting. I need the food to stay healthy and function.

mimivan

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 5:57 pm
okay, I must be in the minority, but the Rav encouraged me to try to fast today, so I did. I am 3 days past my due date. He asked me how strong I felt in general and I said "good baruch hashem," and said a pregnant woman fasting in her ninth month particularly 3 days past her due date, is not the same issue as a 6 month pregnant woman fasting (he told me not to fast yud zayin tammuz when I was 7 months along with my first)

he said it might even help things along Wink but said I should eat and drink if I went into labor so I would have koach.

I wasn't at all surprised at this psak, even though I was told not to fast the last time...

But nothing happened in terms of speeding up labor Crying

Oh well...
I fasted okay, but I had to do much more than I had planned to and kind of went a bit loony towards the ends of the day...thanks to chossidmom for help keeping me sane... Wink

Last edited by mimivan on Sun, Jul 20 2008, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

mimivan

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 5:59 pm
BinahYeteirah wrote:

I don't always fast the minor fasts if I'm nursing, but fasting is actually easier that listening to my dh complain.
LOL

this is usually true..he usually complains when I'm not fasting (not conscious, I know) but this time he said "I'm having such an easy Fast b'h!" I was like "grrrr...." LOL

Last edited by mimivan on Sun, Jul 20 2008, 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

jewgal84

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 5:59 pm
Y dont chassidishe women fast (1/2 or full day)?

mimivan

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 6:02 pm
jewgal84 wrote:

I know that it was explained on this site that there is Lubavitch and there is chassidishe, but I'm Lubavitch and automatically fasting a half or day or not fasting the "minor fasts" at all (regardless of nursing and pregnant) was not something I heard of until this site.

GetReal

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 6:05 pm
pgk wrote:
To GetReal:

When I was pregnant with my daughter over Tisha B'Av, I was told NOT to fast (I was in my 7th month). I thought it might be because my husband asked his Chasidishe Rav, but my cousin who was due at the same time as me asked her very Litvishe Rav and she was also told not to fast. Check it out.

Thanks - I do plan on asking a Rav. I asked last time I was preg over 9 B'av/YK, and was told to fast unless I fwlt really sick. B"H I was okay, but then I stayed in bed all day... that won't work so well with DS Smile

jewgal84

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 6:08 pm
mimivan wrote:
jewgal84 wrote:

I know that it was explained on this site that there is Lubavitch and there is chassidishe, but I'm Lubavitch and automatically fasting a half or day or not fasting the "minor fasts" at all (regardless of nursing and pregnant) was not something I heard of until this site.

Wasn't referring to Lubavitch, I was referring to the other chassisim.

Being Lubavitch, growin up, not fasting wasnt an option unless preg, nursing or medical complications.

mimivan

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 6:09 pm
GetReal wrote:
pgk wrote:
To GetReal:

Thanks - I do plan on asking a Rav. I asked last time I was preg over 9 B'av/YK, and was told to fast unless I fwlt really sick. B"H I was okay, but then I stayed in bed all day... that won't work so well with DS Smile

me again Very Happy The same rav told me not to fast at 7 months (yud zayin tammuz..but I had to fast Tish at 8 months) and to try to fast Tish at 9 months. My rav paskens that at the 9th month, since there is not an issue of the danger of pre-term labor, it is not such an issue.

that's just what my Rav says...and he always asks how I feel..and it sounds, judging from this thread, that he is a bit more into fasting than some...I don't mind if I feel okay...and he is sensitive to this.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 6:11 pm
I was told I don't have to do minor fasts if it's been less than 2 yrs since I have given birth, even if I'm not nursing anymore.

And dd is only 14 mos. Smile BH bc it's humid and hot and gross here.

Rivky

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 6:15 pm
I usually always fast every fast day-be it major or minor but being in my 8th I'm sort of let off the hook this time. Chassidish wise-I think it's each family to their own minhag.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days