Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teaching while fasting

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 12:19 am
I haven’t experienced this in a while since I’ve been nursing and before that pregnant or not teaching on a fast day.
I would be teaching until early afternoon. I can’t imagine being able to do it with no water. I asked a Shaila, and was told that’s not a reason to not fast and that I should prep my body beforehand and then if I feel like I need or break my fast when teaching I could.
That doesn’t help me. If I start getting faint and nauseous in school it’ll be downhill from there, it’s not like I can go lie down, school doesn’t have any quiet areas like that. And then I need to drive home in that state.
So I think my only option is to not go to work.
Am I crazy? What do other people do?

In general fast days for me are hard but doable.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 12:28 am
Show them a video, prep worksheets or a project where you can sit at the desk and supervise. (Unless this is preschool?)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 12:32 am
That won’t work. I move a lot around the school and either way a video etc doesn’t take more than a few min.

dena613

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 12:34 am
Just sit

Tell them it's not your typical way of teaching but you are fasting today
Open and honest

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 12:35 am
Sitting won’t help me. No assistant, discipline etc all is on me. If I want them behaving I need them engaged, which means loud voice etc. and pet of the time I have roles in other areas of the school as well so it’s not like I can just sit there for the whole day.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 12:40 am
amother OP wrote:
That won’t work. I move a lot around the school and either way a video etc doesn’t take more than a few min.

I've turned videos into full length lessons. An intro. Watching the video. Pausing in middle to discuss. Think pair share activities after to discuss.

I'm thinking Young Abraham, the chanukah video Lights... I've shown this to high school

That's assuming every class has at least a projector

smss

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 12:40 am
I would ask the shayla like this: I can teach or I can fast but I can't do both. Should I stay home from work in order to fast?

And include any details like if there are qualified subs available or not...

s1

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 2:37 am
On shiva assar betammuz I woke up feeling exhausted, I called my rov (who is usually quite strict about fasting) and said I can either teach or fast.... he said I should go to teach and not fast.
So please ask your LOR

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 4:38 am
smss wrote:
I would ask the shayla like this: I can teach or I can fast but I can't do both. Should I stay home from work in order to fast?

And include any details like if there are qualified subs available or not...

Thats how I feel with my kids !

I can either fast if someone looks after my kids and I stay in bed all day, or I cant fast.

I dont understand how people do it.

No im not a bad faster but I cant do both.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 5:43 am
What age do you teach? I find 4th grade and up if you're honest "I'm fasting today and need you on your best behavior, we're going to have a low key day today and watch this movie/ play these games/ other easy activity" they can go with it. Even my 4 year old came home from camp Shiva assar betaummuz telling me how Morah said to be on their best behavior because grown ups can't eat or drink ( I told her great but don't worry, ema isn't fasting today because baby).

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 7:29 pm
no jewish schools are open all day on a fast. do you teach in public school or talmud torah? you might have to choose betwen working and fasting. if it's kiruv, it might be an out for you

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 7:35 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
no jewish schools are open all day on a fast. do you teach in public school or talmud torah? you might have to choose betwen working and fasting. if it's kiruv, it might be an out for you

You must live in a right wing community. The MO school I work in has a full day on tzom gedalia and asara beteves (well not this year since it's Friday) since parents need us to watch their kids. We also have full days Fridays after pesach.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 7:46 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

OP said that she's teaching till early afternoon.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:05 pm
I'm so confused which fast day

teachkids

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:09 pm
amother Apple wrote:
I'm so confused which fast day

Tzom gedalia I assume

smss

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 9:26 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
no jewish schools are open all day on a fast.

There's a big world out there...

My OOT Jewish day school has full days on fast days.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics