Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
How many candles do you light for shabbos and y"t?
Previous  1  2

how many candles do you light for shabbos and y"t?
at home- 1 for each child, dh, and self/ not at home- same  
 32%  [ 36 ]
at home- 1 for each child, dh, and self/ not at home- only 2  
 46%  [ 51 ]
at home- only 2/ not at home- same  
 13%  [ 15 ]
other, please explain  
 7%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 110

Pineapple

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 2:05 pm
I light one for me, one for dh and one for each of my kids plus 2 oil ones. When I am away I try to light the same amount of candles that I do at home or I just light 2 (no oil when away)

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 2:27 pm
2 for shabbos, then one for each kid. WHen I am away, I usually do 2, but if there are extra travel candles, I will use them and light 2 more.

Marion

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 3:04 pm
I voted other. For now, I light one for me, DH, and each child both at home and when we're out. However, I can see at some point that it could (iy"H!) become a tircha for our hosts when the number of children increases, so I would probably just light one for all the kids together when that happens.

melalyse

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 9:55 pm
I light 2 parafin candles. We do not add extra for our children.

Rebshosh

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 10:06 pm
what do you all mean by one for dh & one for yourself? the first 2 I thought was one for zachor & one for shamor, you mean those or you mean in addition to those?

Then why do unmarried women/girls light only one? or do some light two?

I heard a verynice thing about adding for each child - our home is brighter simply because we had another baby, what a nice boost of confidence for our children!

I light two plus one for ds.

red sea

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 10:26 pm
Rebshosh wrote:
what do you all mean by one for dh & one for yourself? the first 2 I thought was one for zachor & one for shamor, you mean those or you mean in addition to those?

I heard a verynice thing about adding for each child - our home is brighter simply because we had another baby, what a nice boost of confidence for our children!

IIRC (from the recesses of my mind back to the days I was in sleep away camp where it was discussed) girls lighting is a minhag of either chassidic or lubav heritage and is the equiv "training" or s/t. The reason I heard it is done just one is because it is only for training, s/t like that because its not the official lighting cuz technically they are included in the mothers bracha cuz they are a child, thats why single never married out of the parents house already adults light 2, they are mechuyav.

Rebshosh

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 10:32 pm
Thanks

Marion

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 4:05 am
Once I was bat mitzvah I always lit 2. Before bat mitzvah I was yotze(t?) with my mother's bracha.

mandksima

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 5:16 am
I light 6 now. 2 regular, 3 for living kids and 1 for my DD who died after one day old. We don't have to light for her of course but I found it comforting as well as a visual reminder to daven for her neshama when lighting. When travelling, I try to remember to bring a bunch of tea lights with me. I usually end up needing to explain the seemingly extra candle but it is good for my kids to know and remember her too.

Mishie

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 6:07 am
I do 2 for Shabbos (Shamor and Zachor) and then one for each child.

When we go away for Shabbos, I do only 2, and I bring those with me.

I never thought of lighting extra candles for miscarriages. Does everyone do this?
I think it's a beautiful thing. otoh, I think it would make me very sad, bringing it up every single Friday night, week after week.

Your thoughts?

Aidelmom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 6:55 am
yup the 2 are for zachor and shamor and 1 because of dd. I was taught in halacha that when going away one can light two (regardless of regular minhag)

Seraph

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 8:17 am
I light 2 for zachor and shamor, and one for my son. will keep adding for each kid.
I wouldn't light more than two when traveling, like someone else said- not to be frum at someone else's expense. if you're paying for the candles, ok, but the bare minimum halacha is 2, dont do extra and be a tircha to other people. When traveling, who said they even have room for my however many candles/kids I end up having?

tovarena

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 8:51 am
Rebshosh wrote:

I lit two starting at 6 years old - just because my grandmother bought me a pair of candlesticks for my 6th birthday (my family was not frum at the time so there was no halachik reasoning involved). Though I think my mom, who was already into the idea of being more religious, felt that it was a good habit for me to acquire so that later in life when I'd leave home (assuming I hadn't become religious), I'd do at least that one mitzva regardless because it would be so ingrained. Later when I ended up going to a BY for h.s., I got many questions about whether I was Chabad (also because I was taught by my Sefardi first grade teacher to wash for bread three times on each hand instead of two).

DREAMING

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 12:06 am
at home 2 + 1 for each child. When I go away whatever's prepared for me (most of the time it's 2 candles but fil prepares the same # as I light at home)

goodheart

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 12:24 am
I light 5 all together 2 for shabbos and 1 for each child
when I go away I just light 2.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics