Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
How many candles do you light for shabbos and y"t?
1  2  Next

how many candles do you light for shabbos and y"t?
at home- 1 for each child, dh, and self/ not at home- same  
 32%  [ 36 ]
at home- 1 for each child, dh, and self/ not at home- only 2  
 46%  [ 51 ]
at home- only 2/ not at home- same  
 13%  [ 15 ]
other, please explain  
 7%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 110

yo'ma

Post Sat, Jul 19 2008, 9:05 pm
I know that there is a thread on this, but it's from so long ago and I wanted to put it into a poll.

TheBeinoni

Post Sat, Jul 19 2008, 9:17 pm
OTHER - I light 1 for me, 1 for DH, will light 1 for each child IY"H, and 7 for a yeshua for someone.

myfriends715

Post Sat, Jul 19 2008, 10:14 pm
I light 1 for me 1 for dh and 2 (oone for each kid) and one more which I have to light b/c I didnt make it in time to light one week!

red sea

Post Sat, Jul 19 2008, 10:56 pm
what do you all mean by one for dh & one for yourself? the first 2 I thought was one for zachor & one for shamor, you mean those or you mean in addition to those?

Twizzlers

Post Sat, Jul 19 2008, 11:06 pm
red sea wrote:
what do you all mean by one for dh & one for yourself? the first 2 I thought was one for zachor & one for shamor, you mean those or you mean in addition to those?

ditto. the 2 candles you lite are for shamor and zachor. NOT yourself and dh. if that were the case, all divorced or widowed women would only lite one candle which makes absolutely no sense.

ffbmom

Post Sat, Jul 19 2008, 11:12 pm
I light 7- have three children; one I light because I forgot one erev Yom Kippur, and one I lit when a family member was very ill.

sky

Post Sat, Jul 19 2008, 11:37 pm
hotmama wrote:
OTHER - I light 1 for me, 1 for DH, will light 1 for each child IY"H, and 7 for a yeshua for someone.

You light a total of 9 candles?

I light only 2 and will always light only 2. When I had my first I thought I would be so sad not adding on but I really did not even notice.

someoneoutthere

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 12:06 am
my grandfather used to say 'don't be frum on someone else's cheshbon" so my grandmother lit only 2 when away from home. but that kinda stopped at that generation.

I think that if you light a large amount, bring your own candles.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 12:27 am
I light only 2 because that's what my mother does and what my grandmother did. My mother comes from a yekkish background and that is their minhag. When I asked her about it, my mother jokingly suggested that the reason people add another candle after forgetting to light one shabbos and after having another baby is one and the same. She said that only the yekke women would make sure to light on time right after giving birth, so they never had to add another candle, but it became a minhag for less time-conscious women. LOL

su7kids

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 1:41 am
9 at home, 2 plus one for each birth child, and 3 away from home. The two "regular" and one because I always light extra.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 2:17 am
I light 10 with olive oil. I always bring with me when out. In any case oner should pay for their own lights or share the expense of the baal habayit. Bachurim always give a small amount of money (1 shekel or so) or bring something as their participation when eating by us.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 8:39 am
red sea wrote:

What do I know? Rolling Eyes I guess not much. Confused But you know what I mean. Wink

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 8:54 am
I answered "other" because on YT I only light two, while on shabbos I light the usuall two plus one for each child, away from home only 2.

mama-star

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 9:02 am
I light 7. 2 for shamor v'zachor and 5 for my kids. and I use candles, not oil, because I personally find candles prettier.

mama-star

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 9:03 am
oh yeah, when I am away I try to light 7 as well, but if not then at least 2.

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 9:08 am
I light ten.

I light the same whether at home or away; I learnt that one may not decrease in kedusha.

mama-star

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 9:12 am
halachically a woman may light less when she travels - is that right? I don't think this is technically decreasing in kedusha.

Question

MrsLeo

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 12:55 pm
I light 2 oil - shamor and zachor. Then I light 2 plus one for each child (regular wax candles)
When I go away I just light 2 candles.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 1:14 pm
Always two.
I only know of a few women who light more, it's very rare.

zufriedene

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 1:40 pm
interesting noone mentioned lighting candles for miscarriages/stillborns?
I light two, shamor and zachor from pure olive oil, the rest 1 for each child from candles and thru out the years have added for natural abortions near the 12 week, have found it very comforting, those were our neshamos, that are just spending shabus elsewhere.
I light only 2candles when travelling. noone ever said its going down in kedusha.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics