Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
If someone asks not to voice note them, please don’t!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:07 pm
I hate hate hate voice notes. I passionately hate voice notes that could be a three-word text or WhatsApp written message. Unless you’re really desperate (driving and literally no time to do voice to text or type out a message) and using a lot of Hebrew or Yiddish words that the phone is going to butcher with autocorrect, please, please, please respect if somebody says that they really prefer not to get voice notes.

And especially to coworkers! It may take you 30 seconds to say whatever you’re trying to tell me, but I most easily process information visually rather than auditorily, and it’s extremely frustrating to have to listen to the same stupid note four or five times to get all the information and write it down.

And on that note, if you are giving a colleague or subordinate instructions or information about something, and they are writing it down, it is extremely rude to tell them to “stop writing and listen.” If you want the person to remember what you need done, let them process the information and ensure they will remember it in the way that best works for them.

Vent over. Twisted Evil

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:28 pm
I forward voice notes to an ai number that transcribes it
https://www.transcribeme.app/bot

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:29 pm
I’m going to interpret all hugs on my original post as genuine empathy for the frustration at being disrespected by being sent voice notes. Cool

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:30 pm
mushkamothers wrote:

Looks like a great resource, thank you for sharing it! When I go to the link, it’s all in Spanish though, is there an English version?

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:32 pm
You can just ignore the voice note.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:34 pm
Agreed!!! Voice notes bother me so much too. It takes me 5 seconds to read a text and a few minutes of real focusing to get the voice note- with the ums, likes, interruptions and my phone cutting out in middle, it’s a real pain.

GLUE

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:35 pm
What happens if you just don't listen to them?

Tell everyone your phone does not support it and you can't listen will that help?

I have know idea if anyone sends me voice notes because I never looked or listen to any of them.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
Looks like a great resource, thank you for sharing it! When I go to the link, it’s all in Spanish though, is there an English version?

It's all English when I use it

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:51 pm
Agreed, and I specifically hate it when clients think that because they're voice noting, the time of when they send it makes no difference.
Don't call me at 9:30 AM to tell me you sent a voice note last night at 12 so you don't understand why I'm not aware of what you're talking about.
You want to tell me something? Do it in a professional manner.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:06 pm
I also hate voice notes, for all the listed reasons. Also sometimes I'm in a situation where listening is not an option, but reading a text is, so now I have to remember to go back and listen when. I'm able to and it's annoying.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:15 pm
Yes!
Voice notes are so rude.

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:23 pm
mushkamothers wrote:

What number do you text to?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:48 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
You can just ignore the voice note.

Theoretically, yes, but I feel pressured to listen to it especially when it’s sent by a colleague or someone higher up on the food chain at my work, even if they’re not my direct supervisor.

I still struggle too much with people pleasing to just ignore voice notes. Sad like I feel like I’m being disrespectful to the person by not listening to whatever they are saying.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:48 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Agreed, and I specifically hate it when clients think that because they're voice noting, the time of when they send it makes no difference.
Don't call me at 9:30 AM to tell me you sent a voice note last night at 12 so you don't understand why I'm not aware of what you're talking about.
You want to tell me something? Do it in a professional manner.

This!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:50 pm
amother Natural wrote:
I also hate voice notes, for all the listed reasons. Also sometimes I'm in a situation where listening is not an option, but reading a text is, so now I have to remember to go back and listen when. I'm able to and it's annoying.

Exactly. Or sometimes people send a voice note and then a written message afterward and if I read the written one, it looks like I listened to the voice note also, even if I didn’t, and I have to go and mark the whole conversation unread to remind myself to go back and listen to the stupid voice note…very frustrating. Rolling Eyes

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 1:54 am
The worst is being in the supermarket and a family member sending a long voice note with a few more things to buy! I have to go up and down the aisles, re-listening to it again and again!

But sometimes DH is driving on his long commute and can’t easily stop to type.

shev143

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 3:02 am
mushkamothers wrote:

This is awesome. Thanks.
OP if you click on the menu you can change to English.

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 3:13 am
I do hate it when people trot out that "don't write, just listen" tripe. For one thing, the physical act of writing is exactly what fixes information in some people's brains. For another, some people don't retain anything that they just hear once or twice and they need to be able to read written notes. Different learning modalities for different people.

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 3:18 am
Ignore them. I usually don’t open them and if I do, I wait until it’s a good time for me which could be many hours later. I never reply back with a voice note.

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:19 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
I do hate it when people trot out that "don't write, just listen" tripe. For one thing, the physical act of writing is exactly what fixes information in some people's brains. For another, some people don't retain anything that they just hear once or twice and they need to be able to read written notes. Different learning modalities for different people.

OMG I had a teacher in highschool that wouldn't let us write notes bc her theory was "information goes in the ear, down the arm into the paper and doesn't stop in the brain" like .... Uhm, no maybe for you. But not for me. I think I took a small pencils and hide it in my first and took notes anyways
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette