Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Need potty training help!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 7:31 pm
My toddler is potty “trained” for 6 months now. He caught on within 2-3 days to hold his pee and use the potty. He was still having pooping accidents. A few days later it clicked and he started pooping in toilet.
For pee I’d need to notice the signs and
lead him to the bathroom (I know people will argue with this, but this is what worked for us then) and poop he would tell me and I’d take him.
Here’s the problem. At the time that it clicked that poop belongs in toilet , he stopped holding his pee . He’d just pee anywhere anytime. I tried rewards, going commando again. Nothing has helped. He’s completely unbothered by it. Will pee in his clothes on floor and move right along. He doesn’t resist going potty, he’s been going for months and will go on his own when I tell him to. I know people usually struggle with pooping so I haven’t been able to come across any helpful advice. I’m pretty desperate so hoping someone here can help me out.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 12:58 am
Sorry no tips. I am having a hard time with my two boys too. One keeps pooping in his pants after months of no accidents and one it’s just not clicking.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 1:09 am
amother Mint wrote:
Sorry no tips. I am having a hard time with my two boys too. One keeps pooping in his pants after months of no accidents and one it’s just not clicking.

Hugs 🤗 it’s so so hard!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 9:29 pm
Bump. Anyone have any suggestions at all?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 9:36 pm
A lot of positive reinforcement! Keep singing "name is a big boy, he makes in the toilet, he wears underwear, he gets chocolate, no more diapers!" Keep repeating if you need to make you need to go to the bathroom. Keep complimenting him on keeping his underwear dry or clean. Keep telling him he's a big boy and big boys make in the toilet and you are so proud and you will let him choose a price or truck in store etc. If he makes on the floor, you are allowed to get really mad once and make him clean it up!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 1:34 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
A lot of positive reinforcement! Keep singing "name is a big boy, he makes in the toilet, he wears underwear, he gets chocolate, no more diapers!" Keep repeating if you need to make you need to go to the bathroom. Keep complimenting him on keeping his underwear dry or clean. Keep telling him he's a big boy and big boys make in the toilet and you are so proud and you will let him choose a price or truck in store etc. If he makes on the floor, you are allowed to get really mad once and make him clean it up!

We’ve done this. Doesn’t make a difference. I think it a a problem of bladder control. I wonder if he’s had it in the past, what does it mean that he “lost” the ability… I do understand that it’s not something that can exactly be taught. if anyone has any suggestions please advise🙏🏻

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 2:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
We’ve done this. Doesn’t make a difference. I think it a a problem of bladder control. I wonder if he’s had it in the past, what does it mean that he “lost” the ability… I do understand that it’s not something that can exactly be taught. if anyone has any suggestions please advise🙏🏻

Likely constipation.
He started pooping in the toilet=he learned to hold it in, so he might not be going as often as he needs to or not emptying completely. (Extra matter in the colon puts pressure on the bladder so there is less control)
Try setting a designated pooping time morning and night.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 2:08 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
Likely constipation.
He started pooping in the toilet=he learned to hold it in, so he might not be going as often as he needs to or not emptying completely. (Extra matter in the colon puts pressure on the bladder so there is less control)
Try setting a designated pooping time morning and night.

He poops on a daily basis. I meant to say that he learnt to hold it and only let go in the toilet.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 2:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
He poops on a daily basis. I meant to say that he learnt to hold it and only let go in the toilet.

He might need to go twice a day.
Re the bolded- that's what I meant. This is what potty training is - learning to hold. What sometimes happens is that once they hold, they can hold too much, causing a backlog.
According to your op this started only once he started pooping in the toilet, which makes me think that that's the issue.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 2:44 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
He might need to go twice a day.
Re the bolded- that's what I meant. This is what potty training is - learning to hold. What sometimes happens is that once they hold, they can hold too much, causing a backlog.
According to your op this started only once he started pooping in the toilet, which makes me think that that's the issue.

Yes maybe, I’m gonna keep it in mind and look out to see how often he poops etc. thanks for responding I appreciate it very much, am so desperate to move past this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training