Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Trust Fund - Mishpacha serial
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Birch

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 9:57 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:
Yes I do find it ironic. And how about the serials name dropping all sorts of brand names

I find that specific to one or two authors.

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 10:05 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that every few weeks the mishpacha has articles about the financial crisis, inflation affecting the frum community, housing and tuition crises, columns on how people manage simchos and budgets etc, and the practically every or every other serial regulation run features some wealthy gvir family?

Like this is the only entertaining topic? So we're idolizing it? Also, they can never feature a wealthy or comfortable family it has to be the gvirest gvirs of all time like literally the 1 percenters. Unless the people writing these serials just don't have any clue what regular wealthy looks like.

Seriously, it's getting really old.

I'm honestly getting tired of the few topics that are on repeat in the Mishpacha serials. Either stories about dating and one person is extremely wealthy, or another storyline about someone who is extremely wealthy, or a historical fiction piece. Every now and then there is a place for these but it's too frequent for my taste.

Reality

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 10:27 am
watergirl wrote:

I'm honestly getting tired of the few topics that are on repeat in the Mishpacha serials. Either stories about dating and one person is extremely wealthy, or another storyline about someone who is extremely wealthy, or a historical fiction piece. Every now and then there is a place for these but it's too frequent for my taste.

It's a form of escapism. Many people who are struggling financially love to read about the super wealthy.

Last edited by Reality on Fri, Aug 04 2023, 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Reality

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 10:28 am
Double post

watergirl

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 10:36 am
Reality wrote:
It's a form of escapism. Many people who are struggling financially love to read about the super wealthy.

It's the same as the people who scroll through IG and look at a world that's not only fake, it's out of most people's reach - and when you close the magazine you feel the same way you do when you read the story. You look at these frum people who have what you don't have, and wonder what is wrong with you that you can't achieve it.

Any fictional story is a way to escape into another world. It's tiring to read this every time, so I don't.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 11:41 am
watergirl wrote:

The true life narrative of the mom of two kids with ASD was so compelling for this exact reason. It wasn’t fake and glorifying gvir culture and it was current.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 11:59 am
There are a lot of extremely wealthy people in our community and because of the way our communities are structured there’s a lot more overlap between the haves and have nots, a lot more opportunities for them to brush up against each other. I’m getting tired of those storylines too but I guess people want to read about the very rich, or more likely the writers think they do. I can take or leave Mishpacha fiction so I don’t complain. What I find most annoying is when speakers throw in paragraphs about extravagant frum lifestyles, namedrop about current designers and quote over the top prices of stuff only the uber rich buy. It’s not all or even most speakers but the ones who do it are off putting and inappropriate. I get you want to make a speech about how too much gashmius isn’t good but first stop a minute, take a look at your audience and notice a lot of them can’t afford the basic gashmius needed to get by. Rant over.

amother
Offwhite

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 2:35 pm
Im always super curious how these super wealthy ppl feel reading abt themselves in the serial

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 2:49 pm
Reality wrote:

For some, it's like going on vacation.

I used to love reading articles about travel, to give me insight on places I can't afford to visit.
Some people might similarly enjoy reading about lifestyles they can't afford to live.

For myself, I like to read about the psychology of people, what makes them act or think the way they do. I find this just as interesting about people who are wealthy, as I do about people who struggle financially. Makes no difference to me, we are all human, and no one has a free pass in this world.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 3:34 pm
Chayalle wrote:
For some, it's like going on vacation.

I used to love reading articles about travel, to give me insight on places I can't afford to visit.
Some people might similarly enjoy reading about lifestyles they can't afford to live.

For myself, I like to read about the psychology of people, what makes them act or think the way they do. I find this just as interesting about people who are wealthy, as I do about people who struggle financially. Makes no difference to me, we are all human, and no one has a free pass in this world.

I agree it’s interesting to read about the psychology of people and what motivates them but I’m sure you realize what you’re reading is coming to you straight from the imagination of the author who may or may not have the insight and intelligence to know what really motivates people irl.
Real life, real people and real problems can be very different than what shows up in your weekly serial. Using it as entertainment for a long Shabbat afternoon is nice but I wouldn’t base any part of my understanding of human nature on that. Armchair travelers can have a good time visiting far away places. Armchair psychologists are a whole different breed.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 12:21 am
I am loving this serial. Love anything by this author

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:27 am
I am part of a family that is probably from the 10 wealthiest billionaire "chareidi" families in America - a name many of you would recognize. (The wealth didn't start with my husband lol but we BH have it in abundance as well). This serial makes my skin crawl, as do many other frum fiction pieces that attempt to describe the lifestyle I'm supposedly living. My father in law is the head of an "empire", as is the Senior Mr Frankel, and my husband is his "second in command" in the business. My husband doesn't patronize me by throwing the credit card at me so I can pretty myself up while he lives in his Daddys shadow. We don't have a Vanessa and 4 perfect kids. We have a large family, kids with special and neurodivergent needs, we have worries and stresses unrelated to to being "perfect" - in short, JUST LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD. And yes, we shop in tottini too, like the rest of the world Smile I don't go shopping and redecorating and vacationing all day, with hospital dedications thrown in for variety. We do have our birthday bashes, sefer Torah dedications, gedolim visits, yomim tovim, etc, along with the expectation of everyone being well turned out, but its not our default mode. We are toichendik people (I like to think) who try to live normal, sensitive, in-touch, authentic lives. We don't measure our spiritual worth by how many millions we give to tzedaka.

And I am not alone in this. I know other people in my situation, in my social strata, and I can say the same about many of them. There's literally one uber-wealthy family I can think of that has the type of extreme pressure like the Frankels. (And nebach on them, if imay add). Of course, we do have unique challenges / gifts related to being very wealthy, but they are not necessarily of the sort depicted in this serial!! It sensationalizes a life that is not often true, and makes the people living it seem extremely shallow, controlled, and superficial.

I feel like I didn't really convey my point so well... anyone else shares my experience and can give more insight?

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:34 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:
I am part of a family that is probably from the 10 wealthiest billionaire "chareidi" families in America - a name many of you would recognize. (The wealth didn't start with my husband lol but we BH have it in abundance as well). This serial makes my skin crawl, as do many other frum fiction pieces that attempt to describe the lifestyle I'm supposedly living. My father in law is the head of an "empire", as is the Senior Mr Frankel, and my husband is his "second in command" in the business. My husband doesn't patronize me by throwing the credit card at me so I can pretty myself up while he lives in his Daddys shadow. We don't have a Vanessa and 4 perfect kids. We have a large family, kids with special and neurodivergent needs, we have worries and stresses unrelated to to being "perfect" - in short, JUST LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD. And yes, we shop in tottini too, like the rest of the world Smile I don't go shopping and redecorating and vacationing all day, with hospital dedications thrown in for variety. We do have our birthday bashes, sefer Torah dedications, gedolim visits, yomim tovim, etc, along with the expectation of everyone being well turned out, but its not our default mode. We are toichendik people (I like to think) who try to live normal, sensitive, in-touch, authentic lives. We don't measure our spiritual worth by how many millions we give to tzedaka.

And I am not alone in this. I know other people in my situation, in my social strata, and I can say the same about many of them. There's literally one uber-wealthy family I can think of that has the type of extreme pressure like the Frankels. (And nebach on them, if imay add). Of course, we do have unique challenges / gifts related to being very wealthy, but they are not necessarily of the sort depicted in this serial!! It sensationalizes a life that is not often true, and makes the people living it seem extremely shallow, controlled, and superficial.

I feel like I didn't really convey my point so well... anyone else shares my experience and can give more insight?

I agree. I’m from a pretty wealthy family and don’t relate to this serial at all. I always find it funny how people think the “other rich half lives”. It’s not my experience at all although I can’t speak for all wealthy frum families.

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:36 am

Thank you for this. It's really reassuring the hear that what I thought is over the top writing is, in fact, over the top. This serial nauseates me.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:41 am
amother Carnation wrote:
I agree. I’m from a pretty wealthy family and don’t relate to this serial at all. I always find it funny how people think the “other rich half lives”. It’s not my experience at all although I can’t speak for all wealthy frum families.

Same except the parts that get me are when his fanciest watch is a cartier. The references are totally off base and just makes it seem like the author is out of touch with the subjects. Or years ago there was a serial about a wealthy family might have been the ami but the entire extended family was on a vacation and there was one nanny for all the extended cousins instead of each family having or bringing their own.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:43 am
I guess my point was that these tropes don't have to always be tied to the wealthy. I'm sure there are fathers with no money who don't gives their grown children the space or respect to be their own people, or who live lives in constant worry of what looks right, or who are obsessed with image and public perception... Why is this stereotype always linked to rich people? My inlaws have such nachas from all their children and grandchildren, regardless of how "typical" or successful they are in the conventional way.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:50 am

I think people would LOVE to read about this kind of life

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:52 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
Same except the parts that get me are when his fanciest watch is a cartier. The references are totally off base and just makes it seem like the author is out of touch with the subjects. Or years ago there was a serial about a wealthy family might have been the ami but the entire extended family was on a vacation and there was one nanny for all the extended cousins instead of each family having or bringing their own.

Yes, I see this a lot. One of the writers recently wrote about teens finding a certain designer bag in a bag store, but that designer only sells in its own stores Can't Believe It

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 10:02 am

I don’t share your experience so I can’t give insight.
I just wanted to disagree with your last sentence. You may feel you didn’t convey your point well - I can’t argue with how you feel - but I think just about everyone here will agree with me that you did get your message across clearly.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 10:03 am
amother Tuberose wrote:

Maybe it’s a solid gold cartier lol

Maybe he’s waiting to get a Patek until he’s 50
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room