Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Can you tell me about owning a hamster?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 6:11 pm
My kids are desperate for a pet but I don’t have the energy or time for something high maintenance.
How much hands on care do hamsters need?
Do they need to be taken out of their cage often?
Is it hard to clean their cages? I’ve read that they self groom and don’t need to be bathed.
Are they generally friendly or do they tend to bite and scratch?
Anything else you’d tell someone buying their first hamster?
Thank you!

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 7:39 pm
My friend's first pet for her daughters was a "rodent" - they are now on their second dog Smile

She did a lot of research and said that rats are actually better pets than hamsters. I would sometimes sit with the girls when they had their rats out and the rats would kind of cuddle with them. I don't think quite the same interaction as with a dog or a cat but the girls seemed to enjoy it.

You do have to clean out the cage but it's not onerous.

Have you considered a cat? They aren't as much fun as a dog but they are much lower maintenance and I think more of a pet than a hamster, rat or gerbil.

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 7:45 pm
I also say to get a cat. Way less maintenance than a hamster. I had hamsters and the process of cleaning the cage etc was so gross. I gained nothing from owning one. Vs my cat was much more interactive

mother1000

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 7:58 pm
We got a hamster during the lockdown. Cleaning the cage out every few weeks was kind of gross but not terrible in terms of maintenance. Was not very interactive and the kids got bored with it after a while so it turned into a job for me and DH. 2 of my kids friends got small nibbles/bites which I felt terrible about since they didn’t know how to interact with it properly.
In general I say it was a learning experience and I learned that I don’t like pets much in my house. If I do ever try again it would be a dog or cat and only once I’m not taking care of babies anymore.

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 8:56 pm
Hamsters were a great choice for us because we had limited space, I was nervous about a long term commitment (dwarf hamsters live about 2-3 years), and they're pretty low maintenance.

So confused why anyone would think a cat is a better choice. You need to scoop their litter daily, feed them a couple of times a day, and commit to loving them for something like 18 years. Plus they get all over your house, most breeds shed hair, they scratch stuff... hamsters basically stay in their cage and mind their own business.

I didn't find cage cleaning every week or so to be too onerous.

If you get it young you can train it to be used to people and not bite. We had three hamsters in total (after our first one died we adopted a pair from someone who couldn't care for them anymore). One needed a little training to get used to people but then became fairly friendly except when he got old, I think when he started biting it was his way of telling us he was done, he died about a week later. The second set one was naturally friendly and you could play with her with no biting or anything, and the other one was not interested in people at all and by then the kids were kind of over it so nobody bothered trying to train her, we just let her be. But there's definitely potential for interaction. My kids used cardboard boxes and stuff to make mazes, they enjoyed having the friendly ones walk around their hands and laps, we had some good times. And sure enough by the time we were tired of having pets, the hamsters were ready to die peacefully of old age. A+ experience overall.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 8:59 pm
What about a bird or rabbit?

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 9:12 pm
Birds are noisy. Rabbits are cool but need a lot more space than hamsters so it depends what your home can handle.

mzybas

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 9:59 pm
We have two guinea pigs. They're really cute, the kids love them. I've found it very good for them in terms of responsibility, appropriate levels of energy, and giving to something without expecting anything back. We clean the cage once a week, doesn't take too long. We feed them first thing in the morning, and top up in the evening if nec. I think hamsters are very similar just smaller.
Enjoy!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 10:48 pm
My daughter is on her second dwarf hamster..pretty low maintenance. Also not cuddly. As someone said, maybe if you train them young.... My daughter wasn't successful. So ... Feed it every couple days, change water, clean cage once every couple weeks....
She also has a rabbit. It's way more cuddly but also lots more work. It's cage needs to be cleaned every other day.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 10:50 pm
Just want to point out that hamsters are nocturnal. So if that bothers you they make quite the noise at night. And sleep most of the day.and sleep most of the day. That being said, I had two hamsters as a child and it was a great experience.

librarygirl

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 10:52 pm
How do you train a hamster to be friendly?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 11:09 pm
guinea pigs as a kid, hamster in college (quieter and more discreet than guinea pig), guinea pig again after college, dogs after I got married. I still love guinea pigs and happily schmooze with them when visiting friends who have them, can't imagine life without a dog, and I guess I'd participate in an enthusiastic nephew's hamster if invited, but I wouldn't ask to play like I do for the guinea pigs

guinea pigs are a bit more communicative of a pet, which is important for my mental health needs, but not as in-tune as a dog. I'm not sure I'd pick a hamster again unless it was my only (stealth) pet option

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 11:45 pm
librarygirl wrote:
How do you train a hamster to be friendly?

I think if you get them when they're babies and play with them regularly then they get used to people and are friendly naturally.

Ours we got "secondhand" so we couldn't control that part. One had clearly been acclimated well in the first place and was ready to play with. Another was so not interested and we didn't push the agenda. But one we did train, by offering treats out of our hands until he got used to being handled by people.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 12:16 am
Choose a hamster that is looking to engage with you when you're at the pet store. Don't choose one based on their looks, or you might end up with a boring pet that doesn't engage.
Hamsters are clean, small and require little maintainence. They live about 1.5 - 2 years. We have had two, one after the other. Both lived a little over 2 years each. They are sweet and small but they still need to be well taken care of. Fresh food each day, wash out and refill water bottle each day, scoop out cage and replace with some fresh shavings each week, deep clean cage fully once a month.
They are nocturnal and will stay up on their hamster wheels at night.
I recommend a glass tank, with an add on second floor that you can clip on. Gives the hamster 2 floors to get around and easier to keep clean.

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 12:33 am
Hamsters aren’t really social.
Guinea pigs are!
My kids love cuddling with them, and they have a real soothing effect. In fact, guinea pigs are best in twos because they help keep each other company. They loooove being held though, they ask for attention!

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 12:46 am
amother Almond wrote:
I also say to get a cat. Way less maintenance than a hamster. I had hamsters and the process of cleaning the cage etc was so gross. I gained nothing from owning one. Vs my cat was much more interactive

I love cats and definitely encourage adopting them—there are thousands and thousands in the shelters that need forever homes. That said -please do NOT adopt a cat or a dog or any pet if you cannot commit to caring for it for its entire lifetime. Pets are living beings. They are not objects.

Far too often, people adopt a pet impulsively, keep it for a little bit, and when novelty wears off, they want to pass the pet on to someone else—or worse, abandon the pet (which is a crime in some states, aside from being cruel). This is unfair to the pet and can create behavioral issues. Please don’t adopt a cat or a dog or any pet that requires long-term care unless you can fully commit to meeting to animal’s needs long-term. This means a financial commitment: food, vet bills, yearly vaccinations and dental cleanings, and potentially grooming costs, being prepared for possible emergency vet visits and being OK with parts of your house possibly being covered in fur or scratched (or urinated/defecated on if the pet has an accident).

Hamsters or guinea pigs sound like a better choice for someone who is not comfortable with the idea of a several years-long commitment to pet care.

Feel free to PM me with questions about cats.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 12:52 am
amother Daphne wrote:
Hamsters aren’t really social.
Guinea pigs are!
My kids love cuddling with them, and they have a real soothing effect. In fact, guinea pigs are best in twos because they help keep each other company. They loooove being held though, they ask for attention!

We have a guinea pig (have had two). They are a very big commitment. If OP isn't ready for that, I wouldn't suggest it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 10:20 am
Thank you for all the replies! I know I wrote that my kids are desperate but they are young (under 10) and I’m pretty sure the novelty will wear off and I will inherit ownership lol.
I’d actually love to have a puppy but besides for the social aspect (a few dogphobic neighbors will certainly disown us!) I really don’t think I could handle the care. I’d rather have another human baby!
My kids do want something cuddly though- they want to hold and pet and interact. It sounds like this depends on the hamsters’ personalities. Does it make a difference if you buy a set versus one (maybe having a friend will keep them more active and fun loving)?
How much harder are Guinea pigs to care for? My kids loved watching the he Guinea pigs in the pet shop….

librarygirl

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 10:27 am
Hamsters don't do well together. Guinea pigs do.

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 10:57 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for all the replies! I know I wrote that my kids are desperate but they are young (under 10) and I’m pretty sure the novelty will wear off and I will inherit ownership lol.
I’d actually love to have a puppy but besides for the social aspect (a few dogphobic neighbors will certainly disown us!) I really don’t think I could handle the care. I’d rather have another human baby!
My kids do want something cuddly though- they want to hold and pet and interact. It sounds like this depends on the hamsters’ personalities. Does it make a difference if you buy a set versus one (maybe having a friend will keep them more active and fun loving)?
How much harder are Guinea pigs to care for? My kids loved watching the he Guinea pigs in the pet shop….

Hamsters are supposedly happier alone. I think teddy bear hamsters are supposed to be friendlier than dwarfs. They need more space and would have a somewhat longer lifespan but still more manageable than a larger animal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets