Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
If you’ve potty trained a boy before…
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:19 pm
Hi mommies!
I’m trying to potty train my 2.5 year old son and today was day 1. I’m trying to teach him to sit on the toilet to pee but he doesn’t hold his peepee down and when it shoots out he immediately stops and doesn’t want to continue peeing. Any tips on what I can do and how to teach him to hold it down?
Is it better to potty train a boy sitting down or standing up?

Edit to add: also- what’s everyone’s thoughts on night training at the same time? Recommend or no?

TIA!

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:22 pm
I think I did standing for this reason. With a step stool.

Boys are very messy pee-ers. Good luck

sunshine23

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:22 pm
Buy the toilet seat that has the splash guard it works wonders

amother
White

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:24 pm
I got a toilet seat with a splash guard. I also held down his aiver till he learnt to do it on his own.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:27 pm
I trained my boys standing to pee from the beginning.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:28 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
I trained my boys standing to pee from the beginning.

They also have to hold it down when they stand.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:34 pm
Wait. Why would you train a boy to pee sitting?

sunshine23

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:34 pm
Try putting a stool under their feet which makes them point their toes and pns goes down as well

baked ziti

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:37 pm
I bought a seat with a splash guard and also taught him to lean forward a bit.

baltomom

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:42 pm
I remember someone telling me to have my son sit backwards on the toilet so the urine went in and not all over me! It's been a while so I can't recall how it worked out but I think it worked well until he was ready to stand.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 5:45 pm
I train them sitting but they take off their pants or at least take 1 leg out. That way they can sit all the way back with their feet spread apart and don’t spray out.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 6:30 pm
Mom of 6 happily trained boys here.
Take one leg out of the pants, spread their legs, lift up the seat and they should hold on to the toilet rim in between their legs so they are leaning a bit forward and it goes down.
Tried and tested.
once they can let go on demand, they can start standing up but while they are still at the stage of taking a few minutes to let go, this way works much better.

Oh, and no talking on the toilet! The minute they're distracted it goes all over the place.

Raindance

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 6:34 pm
I trained to pee sitting down, and I think in the beginning I held his thingy down. Afterwards he held it on his own. In school they taught him to stand up, but it spills too much for me, and he sits at home.

Someone told me to put a cheerio in the toilet if you train to stand up. They use it as a target. Use a stool if you want him to stand. My boy will sometimes stand on the ground and push his eivar over the edge, but I don't like it so much. I did night training about a half a year after I started day. I wake him up at night once or twice, bring him to the toilet, tells him to sit and hold his eivar down. Then he tumbles back into bed.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 6:35 pm
I see you asked about day and night.
I wait to train until they're dry in the morning and then do day and night at the same time. It worked for 5 out of my 6 boys. The 6th one is a very deep sleeper and I did day when he was 2 and night when he was 7. Depends on the child. If he is more or less dry at night anyway, it's much easier doing both at the same time because then they develop full control quicker. but some kids just aren't ready yet at that age.

pause

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 6:38 pm
I show them how to spread their legs, sit all the way back, and lean a bit forward. Yes, the first two-three weeks are messy with pee all over everywhere, but eventually they learn. I found it easier to train on the big toilet with a stool nearby than in a potty.

I did not train for naps and at night at the same time. I found that for some of my kids, toilet training was very intense for them and they needed that break of wearing a pamper (and using it for number 2 at the beginning). I train for the night separately at about a year later.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 7:40 pm
I learned this trick on this board a long time ago:

Have him stand on a stool and hold the top of the raised lid with both hands. He'll be perfectly positioned to aim where it needs to go.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 7:44 pm
Sitting with a splash guard on the potty and then standing up with a stool

Sara89

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 7:47 pm
You can also have him sit backwards on the toilet.

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 8:08 pm
Just to make you aware there is something called meatal stenosis it is when the bris heals and closes of the hole too tight (there are some thread about it).
If you see that after some time it is still coming out then you should take him to a urologists to check. Or if he stands and you see that the stream is going slightly upwards (looks like a rainbow) or sideways then definitely check it out.
My son had it and at first I though he just has to get used to aiming correctly but I waited a month and could see that it's not solving the problem, even if I put him sitting on the toilet it would come out or come out between the gaps. If he stood then it aimed right over to the other side.
Bh he had surgery was just a day procedure and it has made a world of a difference, we are soon having a follow up appointment to check that his bladder is better now because he couldn't empty but bh his kidneys were not affected.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 8:13 pm
With my son I trained sitting down and got a seat with a urine guard. When he got older and saw other boys in day camp and school he switched on his own. Don't over think it, either way he needs to learn to use his hands for urination.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training