Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
China patterns

estreya

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 12:02 am
Looking to get a new 12 person set for Shabbos and YTs.

Trying to get some idea of what others have/use.

Are you still using what you got when you got married or have you upgraded?

Personally, I'd rather go with well-crafted china with classic designs rather than waste hard earned money on trendy (that inevitably looks dated later on). I guess that's a personality thing though and a matter of how much one is able to spend.

teachkids

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 12:26 am
Mikasa has very classic styles

zaq

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:52 am
Buy something you love, period. What difference does it make what everyone else has? Their dishes won't be on your table and yours won't be on theirs.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 2:43 am
zaq wrote:
Buy something you love, period. What difference does it make what everyone else has? Their dishes won't be on your table and yours won't be on theirs.

This post should be included in every parenting book and in every school curriculum.
Thank you zaq!

estreya

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 9:59 am
zaq wrote:
Buy something you love, period.

Agreed. I wouldn't fork out $$$$ on a service for 12 that I didn't love.

zaq wrote:
What difference does it make what everyone else has? Their dishes won't be on your table and yours won't be on theirs.

My post was about getting ideas for brands/manufacturers/patterns I haven't heard or thought of to look into -- not to run and copy.

I don't really "care" what is on other people's tables, but thanks anyway.

estreya

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 10:00 am
teachkids wrote:
Mikasa has very classic styles

Thanks. Hadn't thought about that one.

estreya

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 10:07 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
This post should be included in every parenting book and in every school curriculum.
Thank you zaq!

What?? Glad my post is fodder for your parenting book. Sorry but don't know how else to interpret what you wrote.

I was asking about ideas for inspiration and manufacturers/patterns I've never heard of before -- not to copy everyone else's.

Anyway, I don't want to derail my post with this.

hiitsme

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 12:25 pm
I have a beautiful sleek plain white set, I love it as I can so easily change my tablescape with different chargers/napkins. I also personally find the food to look better on white plates.
ETA they have a beautiful unique scalloped edge to make it less plain and more shabbosdig

estreya

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:31 pm
hiitsme wrote:
I have a beautiful sleek plain white set, I love it as I can so easily change my tablescape with different chargers/napkins. I also personally find the food to look better on white plates.
ETA they have a beautiful unique scalloped edge to make it less plain and more shabbosdig

Thanks, Hiitsme Smile I'm inclined to agree. My SIL sort of suggested the same kind of thing, too. Since it's not like a Pesach set where you see it, and hopefully love it, for one week each year, going more on the plain side makes sense. I like the idea of changing it up with chargers and maybe a different set of salad or dessert plates, etc.

I've saved up for a lonnnng time to get myself something really nice and don't want to regret my purchase.

Simple1

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:34 pm
hiitsme wrote:

I agree about the white. When I had to replace, I got inexpensive porcelain white dishes from Amazon. But your scalloped china sounds pretty.

fatso gal

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:39 pm
I have the nortiake Crestwood platinum. I still have it from when I got married a little over a decade ago.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:46 pm
I started marriage having inherited my grandmother's Noritake China (Royal Claret). It was white with a burgundy and gold rim. One day, my talented self managed to drop and break every.single.dinner plate.
Since I still had most of the other pieces (salad plates, bowls, dessert, saucers, serving pieces) I purchased a plain white plate/gold rim set of dinner plates from Bed Bath and Beyond, and I used those interchangeably, mix'n'match, with my Noritake set. It actually went together quite well. I used this for a number of years.

Relatively recently, a relative was giving away a set of Noritake Legacy Splendor China, service for 16, and I took her up on it. I moved the rest of my stuff to my garage, and I use it once a year for Succos (since I'd rather not take my new set out to the Succah). My new set is white with a gold and silver pattern at the rim. It's a very classic look.

I actually enjoy what I do now alot. I love setting up my Succah with the interchangeable china, I use green leaf placemats to set it off, and it's alot of fun. For a regular Shabbos, I use my standard China, which is nice and classy. On YT, I use gold chargers with my china.

Oh and I have my mother's Pesach set, which is light grey with tiny white flowers, and I got silver floral chargers for those....

Last edited by Chayalle on Wed, May 31 2023, 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:48 pm
Personally I would get bone china, especially for Shabbos/YT.
I'm not sure Lenox is still in business. Beautiful china IMHO.

hiitsme

Post Wed, May 31 2023, 1:58 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Personally I would get bone china, especially for Shabbos/YT.
I'm not sure Lenox is still in business. Beautiful china IMHO.

I was curious so checked them out, really nice. This set is similar to what I have but I do prefer the "flat" soup plates for Shabbos. https://www.lenox.com/products.....c-set
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics