Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Guanfacine for Stimming?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 12:47 pm
Has anyone given their child guanfacine for stimming, and has it helped? Did it have any negative side effects? Is there anything else you might have used? This is for a child who is doing well in a mainstream school but stimms regularity and the stimming is sometimes mildly disruptive to the other kids. She is not behavioral in other ways. It was suggested a while ago but we didn’t follow up on it and I am wondering if we should. Most medical professionals have said to leave it alone but I am concerned about the social ramifications.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 12:50 pm
What does the stimming look like? Could they be tics?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 12:57 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
What does the stimming look like? Could they be tics?

Thanks for responding. 2 Neurologists called it stimming and said it’s a release and should just be ignored. I guess it could also be called tics, but it’s not a new development and it fits the stimming description. Doesn’t fit pandas if that’s what you mean. Pediatrician tested for pandas markers and there weren’t any.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 1:03 pm
Child is stumming because that's how they cope with the sensory overload at school. Taking away they're cooing skills is not a solution.

I suggest work together with a therapist or yourself with your child to figure out other ways to stim that are less bothersome to other students. Also speaking to the school about taking breaks during class if needed so they can stim privately.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 1:07 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Child is stumming because that's how they cope with the sensory overload at school. Taking away they're cooing skills is not a solution.

I suggest work together with a therapist or yourself with your child to figure out other ways to stim that are less bothersome to other students. Also speaking to the school about taking breaks during class if needed so they can stim privately.

Right, that’s why we haven’t pursued it till now. I just don’t want to be not doing something that I should be… we were told not to really call attention to it with the child to avoid making her self conscious. What type of therapist do you recommend?

LovesHashem

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 1:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Right, that’s why we haven’t pursued it till now. I just don’t want to be not doing something that I should be… we were told not to really call attention to it with the child to avoid making her self conscious. What type of therapist do you recommend?

I mean it depends on her diagnosis. But someone who specializes in ADHD/ASD in females - I assume from your post she probably has one of those diagnosises.

I'm confused, if it's disturbing people than she will notice evantually - and by that time it will definitely have ramifications. I'm not expert by any means just someone who has personal experience.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 1:25 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I mean it depends on her diagnosis. But someone who specializes in ADHD/ASD in females - I assume from your post she probably has one of those diagnosises.

I'm confused, if it's disturbing people than she will notice evantually - and by that time it will definitely have ramifications. I'm not expert by any means just someone who has personal experience.

It’s a very minor disturbance in school here and there, she knows because the kids will sometimes say something but we don’t typically point it out. I just want to avoid it getting worse.

You mean a behavioral therapist then?

I absolutely appreciate advice from personal experience!

LovesHashem

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 1:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
It’s a very minor disturbance in school here and there, she knows because the kids will sometimes say something but we don’t typically point it out. I just want to avoid it getting worse.

You mean a behavioral therapist then?

I absolutely appreciate advice from personal experience!

Why do you think it would get worse? What solution are you look for if you don't want to bring it up?

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 1:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for responding. 2 Neurologists called it stimming and said it’s a release and should just be ignored. I guess it could also be called tics, but it’s not a new development and it fits the stimming description. Doesn’t fit pandas if that’s what you mean. Pediatrician tested for pandas markers and there weren’t any.

If they might be tics you might be able to try supplements before moving on to medication.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 2:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Has anyone given their child guanfacine for stimming, and has it helped? Did it have any negative side effects? Is there anything else you might have used? This is for a child who is doing well in a mainstream school but stimms regularity and the stimming is sometimes mildly disruptive to the other kids. She is not behavioral in other ways. It was suggested a while ago but we didn’t follow up on it and I am wondering if we should. Most medical professionals have said to leave it alone but I am concerned about the social ramifications.

Ok OP I think ive been here.
My son (otherwise typical) began stimming around age 2. No other behaviors, great student. His stims began as hand flapping, then changed to funny wrist motions, fist opening and clenching, etc.
We noticed he did it mainly when concentrating on something vivid, such as reading a book (processing information), or relaying over a story that happened.
When we tried making him stop he would get distressed, and say that he couldnt concentrate that way.
Pediatrician said to leave him be, but I saw it wasnt going away and I felt he would suffer socially because of it...he looked weird. Randomly in a store he would see something interesting, or think something interesting, and his hands would go up and do weird jerky motions...so I kept looking for answers.
Eventually I learned from a few very smart people in the field of education/OT that he was stimming, and he needs it to process information. Very similar to how some people automatically flick a pen while they study, or tap their foot. For some people (often along the adhd/autism spectrum but NOT exclusively), different stims are crucial to processing information. One woman told me she herself can not concentrate on a conversation unless she has some kind of stimming motion at the same time, usually tapping her foot. Bottom line, they told me not to try to make him stop, because its not feasible, and detrimental to him. They told me to try to find ways for him to stim that are more socially appropriate, that look similar to stims that are considered more socially appropriate because we are used to seeing people do them.
So we worked with him, got him elastic bracelets to twist and pull (we had him do it constantly, even when he didnt need it, in order to introduce a new habit to his brain), and encouraged to do more normal stims throughout the day and especially to replace his outrageous looking ones.
We started this at around age 9, and within a few months of constant work, he had replaced his crazy looking stims with less noticable ones and is doing fine BH. Now no one looks twice when he stims...he tends to cycle between which ones he does, but he often flicks a pen in his fingers, twists his "tchup" hair, fidgets with his pant belt loops, etc.
BH hes doing great, im so happy I learned what I did...hope this was helpful! Hatzlacha

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 3:01 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Why do you think it would get worse? What solution are you look for if you don't want to bring it up?

I mean the other kids’ reactions getting worse. Not the stimming. I just wanted to know what people have done in similar situations, that’s all.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 3:02 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
If they might be tics you might be able to try supplements before moving on to medication.

You mean like magnesium? Or Bach?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 3:04 pm
amother Purple wrote:
Ok OP I think ive been here.
My son (otherwise typical) began stimming around age 2. No other behaviors, great student. His stims began as hand flapping, then changed to funny wrist motions, fist opening and clenching, etc.
We noticed he did it mainly when concentrating on something vivid, such as reading a book (processing information), or relaying over a story that happened.
When we tried making him stop he would get distressed, and say that he couldnt concentrate that way.
Pediatrician said to leave him be, but I saw it wasnt going away and I felt he would suffer socially because of it...he looked weird. Randomly in a store he would see something interesting, or think something interesting, and his hands would go up and do weird jerky motions...so I kept looking for answers.
Eventually I learned from a few very smart people in the field of education/OT that he was stimming, and he needs it to process information. Very similar to how some people automatically flick a pen while they study, or tap their foot. For some people (often along the adhd/autism spectrum but NOT exclusively), different stims are crucial to processing information. One woman told me she herself can not concentrate on a conversation unless she has some kind of stimming motion at the same time, usually tapping her foot. Bottom line, they told me not to try to make him stop, because its not feasible, and detrimental to him. They told me to try to find ways for him to stim that are more socially appropriate, that look similar to stims that are considered more socially appropriate because we are used to seeing people do them.
So we worked with him, got him elastic bracelets to twist and pull (we had him do it constantly, even when he didnt need it, in order to introduce a new habit to his brain), and encouraged to do more normal stims throughout the day and especially to replace his outrageous looking ones.
We started this at around age 9, and within a few months of constant work, he had replaced his crazy looking stims with less noticable ones and is doing fine BH. Now no one looks twice when he stims...he tends to cycle between which ones he does, but he often flicks a pen in his fingers, twists his "tchup" hair, fidgets with his pant belt loops, etc.
BH hes doing great, im so happy I learned what I did...hope this was helpful! Hatzlacha

Thank you, this is very helpful and validating. It’s not exactly the same (but no 2 kids are) but sounds very similar. She’s younger though, I wonder if she could consciously try to change the chosen motion, or it’s just a matter of waiting it out for the time being, as we’ve been doing. Good to know you had success without medication though, thank you!

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 3:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you, this is very helpful and validating. It’s not exactly the same (but no 2 kids are) but sounds very similar. She’s younger though, I wonder if she could consciously try to change the chosen motion, or it’s just a matter of waiting it out for the time being, as we’ve been doing. Good to know you had success without medication though, thank you!

Sure, good luck.
One more thing to mention- when we did try changing the stim, we went through a bunch before he found ones that worked for him. Every kid will like a different one. So just because you suggest she try "abc", and it totally doesnt work out, doesnt mean stop trying. Just try different ones.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 3:35 pm
amother Purple wrote:
Sure, good luck.
One more thing to mention- when we did try changing the stim, we went through a bunch before he found ones that worked for him. Every kid will like a different one. So just because you suggest she try "abc", and it totally doesnt work out, doesnt mean stop trying. Just try different ones.

Very good to know. Did you hear anyone guide you as to the different methods to try or did you just think of different things until it worked?

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 5:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
You mean like magnesium? Or Bach?
Those, and there are others as well.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 5:46 pm
We saw great results from MMRI therapy with an OT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)