Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Soft Onion Rolls (Recipe)
Previous  1  2

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 5:41 pm
How much dry yeast are "2 packages"?

imdl

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 5:50 pm
4 1/2 teaspoons

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 10:44 pm
Ok, they were GOOD. I loved them. My 12 year old hated them because "why do you have to put pieces of onion in rolls"? My 2.5 year old didn't notice.

HooRYou

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 2:38 am
Funny, in my house putting onions in the rolls makes them extra yummy, by everyone. At least now you will have a fabulous breakfast for the next few weeks.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 2:54 am
Hahahaha. They're just about gone. Between my husband who came home starved from Amuka at 2:30 am and me..... But that's ok. I just put up my famous, delish Challah dough. I don't do large challahs because my husband prefers small rolls. So we'll have plenty of those.

Mishie

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 2:55 am
Believe it or not, after making a double recipe 2 days ago, and my family eating almost the entire 30 rolls, I decided to make another double recipe yesterday!!!! (this time, whole-wheat), and they are almost all gone again!!!

I think what makes them so good is: 1) the butter (or marg) instead of oil. (you can use healthier marg, which we can get here, like: Mazola).

and 2) no eggs in the recipe.
I don't know why, but I have a feeling that eggs make bread have a heavier/thicker texture...

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 2:57 am
I don't know. My challah recipe has 3 eggs in it (to 10 cups flour) and I must admit that I have yet to taste such a good recipe. Nothing comes close.

I was also wondering if I could substitute oil for those 3 Tbs of margarine. I hate using marg. Even the "healthy" ones. It's still hydrogenated yuck. I'm going to try it next time.

Mishie

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 3:00 am
CM... I'm so sorry!!!
Maybe I'll send you some of mine...
Very Happy

sarahd

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 3:54 am
Man, am I lazy. Here you ladies are baking batch after batch of these lovely, delicious onion rolls and I'm still sitting on Imamother and planning to start mine....soon.

HooRYou

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 4:08 am
There's still lots of time for Shabbos.

wanderer

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 9:53 am
Does the recipe call for mixing it by hand, or do I need to use a machine?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 9:59 am
I imagine it depends on the type of mixer you have. I do all my bread/pie crust/pizza dough baking by hand.

sarahd

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 10:37 am
So I finally did it! (I used my machine because I hate having my hands full of dough). It took me ALL MORNING!! Next time I make it, I'll double or triple the recipe to make it worth my while. They're pretty good, dh is thrilled that I finally made him whole wheat rolls, all are satisfied.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads