Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Cookbook for kids?

shpitzele

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 12:25 pm
My DD (under 5yo) is constantly trying to ‘help’ me in the kitchen, with the actual effect of causing a huge mess. I’ve been wondering if maybe occasionally cooking some simple things with her, where the focus is on her just getting to have a go, could satisfy her so she won’t pester me as much when I’m trying to make something that actually does need to be done right.

Any ideas of cookbooks with simple fun recipes for kids to get involved in?

Simple1

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 12:27 pm
Leah Shapira and Victoria Dweck have a good kids book.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 12:30 pm
Let her make simple deserts or drinks.
Lemonade,
Baked apples
3 step Pies with prepared crust....
Breaded bakes chicken cutlets (dipped in oil and spices then crumbs, on baking sheet) - my kids love helping me do it from when they are ready small. Super easy. Good sensory fun for them.
Stuff like that.

Amarante

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 12:53 pm
The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs: 100+ Recipes that You'll Love to Cook and Eat

You can never go wrong with a cookbook from America's Test Kitchen - 20,000 positive reviews on Amazon.

It is not specifically kosher but ignore recipes using treif like pork and my experience is that recipes are easily modified to be kosher - using vegetable broth for pareve or a good vegan butter for baked goods.

The #1 New York Times Best Seller and IACP Award Winner!

Want to bake the most-awesome-ever cupcakes? Or surprise your family with breakfast tacos on Sunday morning? Looking for a quick snack after school? Or maybe something special for a sleepover? It's all here. Learn to cook like a pro―it's easier than you think.

For the first time ever, America's Test Kitchen is bringing their scientific know-how, rigorous testing, and hands-on learning to KIDS in the kitchen!

Using kid-tested and approved recipes, America's Test Kitchen has created THE cookbook every kid chef needs on their shelf. Whether you're cooking for yourself, your friends, or your family, The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs has delicious recipes that will wow!

Recipes were thoroughly tested by more than 750 kids to get them just right for cooks of all skill levels―including recipes for breakfast, snacks and beverages, dinners, desserts, and more.
Step-by-step photos of tips and techniques will help young chefs feel like pros in their own kitchen
Testimonials (and even some product reviews!) from kid test cooks who worked alongside America's Test Kitchen will encourage young chefs that they truly are learning the best recipes from the best cooks.
By empowering young chefs to make their own choices in the kitchen, America's Test Kitchen is building a new generation of confident cooks, engaged eaters, and curious experimenters.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1492.....70022

Sample Recipe

Avocado Toast with Fried Eggs

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, measured separately
1 teaspoon lemon juice, squeezed from ½ lemon
Salt and pepper
1 ripe avocado
2 (½-inch-thick) slices crusty bread
2 large eggs

Instructions:

1. In small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon oil, lemon juice, pinch salt, and pinch pepper.

2. Use butter knife to cut avocado in half. Separate halves, then remove and discard pit. Scoop avocado into bowl with lemon dressing; discard skin. Use fork to break avocado into large pieces, then mash into dressing until mostly smooth.

3. Place bread in toaster and toast until golden on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread avocado mixture evenly on toasts.

4. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over low heat for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, crack eggs into second small bowl and add pinch salt and pinch pepper.

5. Increase heat to medium-high and heat oil for 1 minute (oil should be hot but not smoking). Working quickly, pour eggs into skillet, cover skillet, and cook for 1 minute.

6. Turn off heat and slide skillet to cool burner. Let sit, covered, for about 1 minute for slightly runny yolks or about 2 minutes for set yolks.

7. Use spatula to transfer 1 fried egg to each toast. Serve.

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 8:09 am
I always had this thing with my kids. I love your help in the kitchen and encourage it, unless I’m in a rush. They accepted a no during those times because they knew they weren’t capable of helping as quickly and easily as I needed. All other times, let’s have fun!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics