Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Therepeutic boys high school

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 11:26 am
Can anyone recommend a high school for a boy who needs a therepeutic setting? He is in a mainstream school now and is not managing. He struggles with bipolar depression, anxiety, social difficulties and is failing across the board despite having a high IQ when we tested him professionally. He has a therapist and psychiatrist (for many years now), but he is incredibly unhappy, has panic attacks in school, etc. I was thinking about Shaarie Arazim but not sure it's really right for him.
He's not rebellious, he just needs help throughout the day and whatever we (parents) and professionals have done and do for him does not help enough. We are JPF/Yeshivish but would have no problem sending him to a more "modern" school if he can get the care he needs.

sunspot

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 11:28 am
Ivdu?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 11:46 am
Thank you. It looks interesting but we are in Monsey and that would be a very hard commute for him. Anything in Monsey or New Jersey?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 11:49 am
Also - he is such a difficult case. He is extremely bright (high IQ, reads very high level books, can code, etc) but his emotional/mental/social difficulties are not only making his life miserable, but seem to be getting in the way of him absorbing any information right now.

sunspot

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 11:53 am
There are boys that come in daily. The staff is amazing. Def. worth a call

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 11:56 am
Ok, thanks. I will call them. I appreciate your help!
If anyone has any other ideas or recommendations I would appreciate it.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:10 pm
sunspot wrote:
There are boys that come in daily. The staff is amazing. Def. worth a call

Agree! As a former staff member, I can vouch for that place 1000%

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 2:18 pm
Sinai schools sent out an email recently that they are exploring opening such a place. Not sure it can be of immediate help help to you OP, but maybe reach out to hem for leads.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 2:41 pm
Would Sara Eidlitz school Eitz Chaim be an option to maybe they can provide referral? Or else try Nesivos in Lakewood for a consult.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 5:20 pm
Thanks everyone. It's like he needs a place that can handle his emotional/mental needs. Seems like it goes together with learning disabilities in most places.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 8:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone. It's like he needs a place that can handle his emotional/mental needs. Seems like it goes together with learning disabilities in most places.

Yes. I'm in Cleveland but I have a boy expelled from public school and placed in a therapeutic program. None of the therapeutic programs here know what to do with a kiddo who has a severe emotional disability but no intellectual disability. Let alone anything Jewish. 😌 at least on the coast you have Jewish options. Hatzlacha. I've given up on finding a school that can meet my son's needs.

amother
Aster

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 5:50 pm
Bumping this up because I'm looking for something like this with a dorm option. OP did you ever find a place?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 6:32 pm
amother Aster wrote:
Bumping this up because I'm looking for something like this with a dorm option. OP did you ever find a place?

Doresh in Miami

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 6:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can anyone recommend a high school for a boy who needs a therepeutic setting? He is in a mainstream school now and is not managing. He struggles with bipolar depression, anxiety, social difficulties and is failing across the board despite having a high IQ when we tested him professionally. He has a therapist and psychiatrist (for many years now), but he is incredibly unhappy, has panic attacks in school, etc. I was thinking about Shaarie Arazim but not sure it's really right for him.
He's not rebellious, he just needs help throughout the day and whatever we (parents) and professionals have done and do for him does not help enough. We are JPF/Yeshivish but would have no problem sending him to a more "modern" school if he can get the care he needs.

Please email me
tameezee@gmail.com
I live in New Hempstead
your son sounds similar to mine

Him and 2 more boys go to ivdu

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 2:07 pm
amother Lime wrote:
Doresh in Miami

Thanks, I've heard of it, and I've heard that it is considered controversial by some. Do you have personal experience sending there?

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 2:08 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
Please email me
tameezee@gmail.com
I live in New Hempstead
your son sounds similar to mine

Him and 2 more boys go to ivdu

Ivdu looks great, do you know if they have a dorm or other schools like it that do? We are not in the tri-state area.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)