Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
Did you nurse or use formula?
Previous  1  2  3

Nurse or formula
Exclusively nursed for 6 months or more  
 58%  [ 142 ]
Exclusively used formula  
 22%  [ 55 ]
Combo fed  
 18%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 242

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 3:18 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
It doesn’t literally take 10 seconds. My baby won’t drink cold or lukewarm formula, so I need to make a new bottle with warm water. It also takes more than 10 seconds to get from my bedroom (upstairs) to the kitchen (downstairs)

At the beginning I made my baby warm bottles too!
No sweat.
Would never go downstairs lol

Had bottle ready prepped with small set amount of water, poured from a thermos to top it off and add the formula. Ze hu!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 3:18 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
Nursing takes two hands too if you have big boobs. Until my baby learned to hold my boob they wouldn't be able to breathe if I didn't hold it away from their nose.

Usually I'm an DDD/E and I go another size. Or two when nursing.

Right now I'm nursing and I'm a G. I don't understand how people nurse without a cover up. Not with my size boobs.

Oh my!! I honestly never thought about that. I can see how that might be an issue.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 3:20 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
At the beginning I made my baby warm bottles too!
No sweat.
Would never go downstairs lol

Had bottle ready prepped with small set amount of water, poured from a thermos to top it off and add the formula. Ze hu!

BH that worked for you. It wouldn’t work for me, for multiple reasons. So I just don’t give bottles overnight.

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 3:22 pm
I also know people that dont especially give warm bottles to start with.

Baby is fine with room temp so then they dont have to warm every time.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.

Personally I did do warm, def for first month or 2.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 4:34 pm
amother Geranium wrote:
I’m obsessive about nursing, but that’s a me thing. I nursed 7- had lots of bumps along the way.

Looks like it's not just a you thing.
https://stephenskolnick.substa.....eding

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 7:07 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I nursed all my kids for a minimum of a year. I am cheap, lazy and detest pumping. The thought of having to wake up, make a bottle in my sleep deprived stupor was just not appealing. So nursing was a good fit for me. But I really dont buy into the idea that its superior in the end.

If you dont pump, does that mean you are available for your baby 24/7? What if you have to go out like pta or something?

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 7:09 pm
I fed my children and made sure they grew and thrived. That is the main thing. Of seven child bli ayin horah only one nurses successfully

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 7:09 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
If you dont pump, does that mean you are available for your baby 24/7? What if you have to go out like pta or something?

I don't plan to go out without my baby for more than two hours when I have a newborn. And if I do have to go out I can nurse right beforehand. Yes, I'm tethered to my baby. It feels natural and I really don't mind it.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 7:15 pm
Depends for which kid. With 1 nursing worked, with the others I tried but I couldn't nurse so I only formula fed. I tried for 3 weeks with one that I didn't manage but that was the longest. With the baby that nursing worked for I exclusively fed for a year.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 8:37 pm
Nursed all my kids. Currently nursing a baby and toddler. Nursing is so rewarding Im
sorry when I hear that it doesn’t work out for the mom. Most important is that fed is best.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 8:51 pm
amother Lily wrote:
I clicked combo fed because that's what I did for my most recent kid, but my first couldn't tolerate the lactose in mothers milk and needed formula only.

My kids have many food issues as babies. Can you share how you figured out the mothers milk lactose issue?

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 9:11 pm
amother Puce wrote:
My kids have many food issues as babies. Can you share how you figured out the mothers milk lactose issue?

She was always a kvetchy baby. When I started supplementing formula she was more miserable till I switched to low lactose formula, and then she was only miserable after nursing, not after a bottle, so we realized this must be the issue.
She totally outgrew her lactose issues by her first birthday though.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 7:37 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
That’s what I do. He was gaining super slow, and the pediatrician recommended adding a bottle after every feeding. I didn’t do it at night though, only during the day. I was pumping after every feeding as well, to get the bottle, but when I couldn’t keep up anymore, I bought formula. Now BH he’s gaining nicely, and if he falls asleep while nursing I don’t give him a bottle. There have been a few times when I was out and my kids or my husband gave him a bottle, or when I just didn’t have the energy to nurse.

This is exactly what I’m doing now. But I am concerned that the formula is hurting my supply even more. I never had a supply issue this early - my baby is still so little.

It’s comforting to me to see so many mothers who formula feed. I feel like I’m surrounded by EBF mothers in real life and it makes me feel inadequate. Even though formula is clearly best for my baby at this point and all my babies did just fine on formula (and honestly it has some pluses)…I kind of feel like I’m failing Sad

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 7:45 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
This is exactly what I’m doing now. But I am concerned that the formula is hurting my supply even more. I never had a supply issue this early - my baby is still so little.

It’s comforting to me to see so many mothers who formula feed. I feel like I’m surrounded by EBF mothers in real life and it makes me feel inadequate. Even though formula is clearly best for my baby at this point and all my babies did just fine on formula (and honestly it has some pluses)…I kind of feel like I’m failing Sad

Yeah Ik I am current,y up to my first and suffering from low milk supply. By mil I had to make bottle for baby told dh to be super discreet as she makes formula sound like the worst thing for baby. My mom was totally chilled though and told me to go bc LOL

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 9:44 pm
I exclusively nursed for 18+ months with the exception of a single formula bottle every weekday at the babysitter til 12 months

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 2:06 pm
I once cared for a baby who died of starvation. Not bad parents. Just clueless. If I didn’t feel that way before I sure do now: PLEASE FEED YOUR BABY. If you can’t nurse you are not a bad person. You need to bottle feed.

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 3:04 pm
I've done both...depending on my kid...if I dont have milk supply, I dont starve my kid and abandon my mental health...I go for bottle fed!

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 3:12 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
I once cared for a baby who died of starvation. Not bad parents. Just clueless. If I didn’t feel that way before I sure do now: PLEASE FEED YOUR BABY. If you can’t nurse you are not a bad person. You need to bottle feed.

What?! That is the most horrifying thing I’ve ever heard. It should never happen our modern times. You’re supposed to bring the baby to the pediatrician a few days after going home from the hospital and at one month to make sure their weight gain is good.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding