Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
Did you nurse or use formula?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Nurse or formula
Exclusively nursed for 6 months or more  
 58%  [ 142 ]
Exclusively used formula  
 22%  [ 55 ]
Combo fed  
 18%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 242

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 6:36 am
amother OP wrote:
Survey

Not sure what I should put. All my other kids exclusively nursed, some longer than others. My baby has been combo feeding since he’s about a week old. First I was nursing plus giving pumped bottles, not I nurse plus give formula.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 6:39 am
I’m the type of person that would’ve been a wet nurse in the olden days. I nursed both my kids till 2 and my youngest stopped nursing 3 months ago and I still have milk…..
About a year ago I threw out a huge garbage bag full of expired milk because I couldn’t find anyone that wants to take it.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 8:01 am
Nursed one for 17.5 months til I was pregnant. Next nursed for 2.5 years. Current baby is nursing but got one night of formula in the hospital because she was yellow

losingweight

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 8:07 am
first few kids were EBF. Then I got smarter and realized I needed to be able to go out myself. Gave a bottle a day. Then came a baby that wasn't gaining nicely. That child got a bottle after every feeding. I do whatever is best for the child.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 9:44 am
losingweight wrote:
first few kids were EBF. Then I got smarter and realized I needed to be able to go out myself. Gave a bottle a day. Then came a baby that wasn't gaining nicely. That child got a bottle after every feeding. I do whatever is best for the child.

That’s what I do. He was gaining super slow, and the pediatrician recommended adding a bottle after every feeding. I didn’t do it at night though, only during the day. I was pumping after every feeding as well, to get the bottle, but when I couldn’t keep up anymore, I bought formula. Now BH he’s gaining nicely, and if he falls asleep while nursing I don’t give him a bottle. There have been a few times when I was out and my kids or my husband gave him a bottle, or when I just didn’t have the energy to nurse.

finprof

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 12:40 pm
I nursed all 4 for at least a year but I also had to travel for work so I introduced bottles with pumped milk, then a mix of pumped and formula, and finally 100% formula "just in case" prior to returning to work (earliest was 2 mths latest was 5 mths). All of them did fine.

tichellady

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 12:41 pm
I nurse but I hate pumping so baby gets formula if I am gone during a feeding time

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 1:00 pm
I nursed all my kids for a minimum of a year. I am cheap, lazy and detest pumping. The thought of having to wake up, make a bottle in my sleep deprived stupor was just not appealing. So nursing was a good fit for me. But I really dont buy into the idea that its superior in the end.

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 1:21 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I nursed all my kids for a minimum of a year. I am cheap, lazy and detest pumping. The thought of having to wake up, make a bottle in my sleep deprived stupor was just not appealing. So nursing was a good fit for me. But I really dont buy into the idea that it’s superior in the end.

I started off breastfeeding, switched to formula
after 3 weeks. She couldn’t latch properly and wasn’t getting enough.
I do think that breastfeeding has the potential to be a comforting and bonding experience for both mom and baby, however for many people the stress, exhaustion and sleep deprivation caused by breastfeeding does the opposite for the mom at least and so in many cases it doesn’t really have a benefit.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 1:33 pm
Exclusively formula fed all 5 of my kids. Never even tried to nurse.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 1:39 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
I started off breastfeeding, switched to formula
after 3 weeks. She couldn’t latch properly and wasn’t getting enough.
I do think that breastfeeding has the potential to be a comforting and bonding experience for both mom and baby, however for many people the stress, exhaustion and sleep deprivation caused by breastfeeding does the opposite for the mom at least and so in many cases it doesn’t really have a benefit.

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I find giving a bottle to be more of a bonding experience. Because it really takes two hands, I find myself focusing more on my baby than when I’m nursing.

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 1:46 pm
Nursed all kids around 18 months never tried formula.

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 1:52 pm
Exclusively breastfed my first 4. But I recently read studies that babies who have formula or who don’t have formula have basically the same outcomes and there’s little benefit past 6 months in breastfeeding. So I’m supplementing #5 and feeling much better BH.

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 2:10 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I find giving a bottle to be more of a bonding experience. Because it really takes two hands, I find myself focusing more on my baby than when I’m nursing.

Iswym. I find it easier to bottle feed with one hand actually.

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 2:13 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
Nursed all kids around 18 months never tried formula.

Bottles sounds like just another thing I need to clean. I’m very sensitive to smells and formula has a weird smell to me idk if I’d be able to handle to long term unless I absolutely had to of course.
I nurse in my sleep I nurse while I’m walking. No matter where or water I just pop a boob on babies mouth and they are happy.
Also I’m not the best at even remembering diapers (I do remember but it’s always like “oh right!”) so idk what I’d do if I was out and forgot their food at home.
Nursing just so much easier for me and my way of living.

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 2:21 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I nursed all my kids for a minimum of a year. I am cheap, lazy and detest pumping. The thought of having to wake up, make a bottle in my sleep deprived stupor was just not appealing. So nursing was a good fit for me. But I really dont buy into the idea that its superior in the end.

Lit takes under 10 seconds.
Prepped water and measured formula, and shake.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 2:36 pm
Ok my baby is almost a week old and he is now only being breastfed and sometimes it’s a struggle ugh but he was yellow so I used formula sometimes and I sometimes still do whenever he is still kvetching after being nursed for long and doesn’t want to sleep. My supply is good and he is latching nicely said the post partum nurse who comes here every week

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 2:40 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:

Nursing takes two hands too if you have big boobs. Until my baby learned to hold my boob they wouldn't be able to breathe if I didn't hold it away from their nose.

Usually I'm an DDD/E and I go another size. Or two when nursing.

Right now I'm nursing and I'm a G. I don't understand how people nurse without a cover up. Not with my size boobs.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 3:16 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Lit takes under 10 seconds.
Prepped water and measured formula, and shake.

It doesn’t literally take 10 seconds. My baby won’t drink cold or lukewarm formula, so I need to make a new bottle with warm water. It also takes more than 10 seconds to get from my bedroom (upstairs) to the kitchen (downstairs)

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 06 2023, 3:18 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Ok my baby is almost a week old and he is now only being breastfed and sometimes it’s a struggle ugh but he was yellow so I used formula sometimes and I sometimes still do whenever he is still kvetching after being nursed for long and doesn’t want to sleep. My supply is good and he is latching nicely said the post partum nurse who comes here every week

I’m so happy to hear things are going well for you guys!!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding