Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Mini sewing machine -- worth it?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 7:36 am
Has anyone ever used a mini sewing machine? Is it worth buying?

I am not a sewing person. I can sew on buttons or repair a very small tear on the seam, by hand. The problem is that my teenage son keeps on tearing through his pants...and I hate paying for the tailor to fix them each time.

Is a mini sewing machine easy to figure out? (I've never used a sewing machine before.) Easy to use? Good for sewing along a long seam?

It seems that there are two kinds: one that looks like a regular sewing machine, but smaller. And one that is handheld. Is one a better choice than the other for me?

Last edited by amother on Wed, Feb 22 2023, 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 8:43 am
I would suggest getting a basic full size sewing machine for about $150.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 8:47 am
Unfortunately not in the budget right now Sad

Also, things are very cramped right now and we really don't have room for one.

Have you tried a mini sewing machine and it hasn't worked?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 4:52 pm
Anyone?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 5:17 pm
My little daughter uses one.
You'd still have to have someone show you how to use it. And the lines you make won't be as neat or tightly sewn as a regular machine. It can get finicky but it's usable and my daughter used it a lot. If it's this or by hand, and you need to sew a lot, it could make sense.
So that's my pros and cons list. I hope it helps you make a decision. 😊 (Maybe order it with free returns and try out and make sure it's something worth keeping.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 5:24 pm
Thank you! Does she use a handheld one? Or one that looks like a regular sewing machine but is smaller?

Do you think I could figure it out with Youtube if I've never used a sewing machine before? Or is it too complicated and really needs someone who knows what they're doing to help you with it?

paperflowers

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 5:33 pm
I once bought a handheld and it was pretty useless. Could be there are better brands out there.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 5:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! Does she use a handheld one? Or one that looks like a regular sewing machine but is smaller?

Do you think I could figure it out with Youtube if I've never used a sewing machine before? Or is it too complicated and really needs someone who knows what they're doing to help you with it?

You can figure it out with YouTube.
She had the one that looks like a regular sewing machine in mini.
I think we once tried a handheld and it was no good. This one wasn't great either but was usable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing