Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Looking to start Gemach in Boro park
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 4:58 pm
High avenues high streets.
Have a closet worth of space. (Not only clothing just that’s how much storage available)
What do you think is needed?

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 5:01 pm
Men’s clothes ( bucherim)
Suits, bekishe, coats etc
My teenage boys outgrow their stuff very quick (puberty age) but some stuff is still so perfect.

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 5:10 pm
Maternity clothes.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 5:22 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Maternity clothes.

At one point, I did try to open a maternity gemach. It was very frustrating, everyone only wanted the latest of the latest. The clothing that I had were still current, but not fresh out of the runway.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 5:39 pm
Does a niche Gemach make sense? Only maternity skirts?
Also how does a clothing Gemach work, doesn’t the clothing get ruined? It’s basically free clothes?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 5:40 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
At one point, I did try to open a maternity gemach. It was very frustrating, everyone only wanted the latest of the latest. The clothing that I had were still current, but not fresh out of the runway.
Any ideas for me? Any tried and true tips?

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 5:48 pm
Baby stretchies! I always wish I can get someone's hand me downs they are so expensive

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 5:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does a niche Gemach make sense? Only maternity skirts?
Also how does a clothing Gemach work, doesn’t the clothing get ruined? It’s basically free clothes?

Yes just skirts makes sense. Especially because classics stay classic. Maternity tops need to be more current.
Since it's not one time use like gowns are, it probably will be free clothes. People can donate and people can receive. If you're looking to buy new and free, maybe you can offer 1 new one and the rest from the donations. And they can donate back afterwards if the skirts are still in enjoyable condition.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 11:39 pm
Exciting to think about!
Anyone else?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 11:39 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
Men’s clothes ( bucherim)
Suits, bekishe, coats etc
My teenage boys outgrow their stuff very quick (puberty age) but some stuff is still so perfect.
Teen bekeshe Gemach?

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 11:42 pm
sheitals, maternity skirts, sefarim, chairs, table cloths, breast pumps, shabbos candles/grape juice in case s/o runs out, ovulation kits, pregnancy tests...

and I would definitely charge a "suggested donation"
when I started my gemach our rav told me to charge something so that 1) women dont feel like "nebachs" when they they come and they feel like theyre paying for a service 20 I simultaneously raise money for a family in need or if I need to buy something new for gemach I use that money

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 11:48 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
sheitals, maternity skirts, sefarim, chairs, table cloths, breast pumps, shabbos candles/grape juice in case s/o runs out, ovulation kits, pregnancy tests...

when I started my gemach our rav told me to charge something so that 1) women dont feel like "nebachs" when they they come and they feel like theyre paying for a service 20 I simultaneously raise money for a family in need or if I need to buy something new for gemach I use that money
Shabbos candles and grape juice sounds interesting - do you think people don’t just ask their neighbors in a pinch?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 11:49 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
Baby stretchies! I always wish I can get someone's hand me downs they are so expensive
And the good quality ones are often in good condition bec baby grows out of them so quickly. Hm.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 11:51 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:

Thanks for the donation tip.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 11:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Shabbos candles and grape juice sounds interesting - do you think people don’t just ask their neighbors in a pinch?

not sure, maybe they dont have extra to share.
I know theres a gemach like this by my bro in ramot

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 11:53 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
not sure, maybe they dont have extra to share.
I know theres a gemach like this by my bro in ramot
I’ve definitely been asked by neighbors for grape juice I see it’s something people run out of and can’t just do without.
Practically speaking, how would it work with inventory since it expires. Also, do people pay back? Or pay cash after shabbos. Or it’s a gift.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 11:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’ve definitely been asked by neighbors for grape juice I see it’s something people run out of and can’t just do without.
Practically speaking, how would it work with inventory since it expires. Also, do people pay back? Or pay cash after shabbos. Or it’s a gift.

hmmm you know thats true I didnt think of that re the payment and shabbos
ok what about ovulation kits and pregnancy tests?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 10 2023, 12:02 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
hmmm you know thats true I didnt think of that re the payment and shabbos
ok what about ovulation kits and pregnancy tests?
doesn’t have to be a problem. We can solve problems. Just trying to think through logistics- like what type of gemach is it.
Not sure about the tests. When I lived in an American neighborhood in Israel the basic option was expensive tests from pharmacy. There were cheaper tests available in discreet locations where you could take one and leave a dollar. But those were before rhe days of amazon where people buy a box for ten bucks. Do you think there’s a need here for that?

amother
Tuberose

Post Fri, Feb 10 2023, 12:09 am
amother OP wrote:
doesn’t have to be a problem. We can solve problems. Just trying to think through logistics- like what type of gemach is it.
Not sure about the tests. When I lived in an American neighborhood in Israel the basic option was expensive tests from pharmacy. There were cheaper tests available in discreet locations where you could take one and leave a dollar. But those were before rhe days of amazon where people buy a box for ten bucks. Do you think there’s a need here for that?

youre a nice person!
theres bh always a need... I kno a few times I didnt have any pregnancy tests and really needed... but youre right amazon is a life saver

what about sheital gemach?
or if youre from bp what about a band gemach? dont many chassidish women wear those pretty bands? I kno theyre crazy expensive

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 10 2023, 3:09 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
youre a nice person!
theres bh always a need... I kno a few times I didnt have any pregnancy tests and really needed... but youre right amazon is a life saver

what about sheital gemach?
or if youre from bp what about a band gemach? dont many chassidish women wear those pretty bands? I kno theyre crazy expensive
how do you envision a pregnancy test Gemach working?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics