Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Am I crazy if I just come home with a cat?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:34 am
Why wouldn’t someone take your post seriously? You are allowed to have this dream…as well as the reality check for which you asked.
Hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:51 am
My husband tried that when he found it two cats and I'm allergic. We lasted a week and we had a really young family and not a big house to hide it. Fast forward about 10 years and my kids were a lot older and my daughter brought home the cutest cat you've ever seen. I told her we'd see how my allergies were in with medication it was okay. Now we have two cats. I'm a sucker for these little Street cats and Israel and hard for me to say no. Sometimes my allergies are bad but I'm writing this is my cute little cat is sitting on me. But just saying when my husband surprised me it didn't work but when my daughter was little and came home with one I was a little bit more open-minded plus my kids are old enough to be helpful. But I don't think you can force anyone.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:12 am
amother OP wrote:
They’re so clean, and quiet, and don’t bark, and easy to handle, and so sweet.

My husband hates animals but I die to own a cat.

Can I just come home with one and keep it in the basement or anywhere away from him so it won’t bother?

Tell me I’m not crazy.

Maybe you can volunteer at an animal shelter.

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:27 am
I came home with a kitten one day. I took it from someone's garden. The lady who's garden it was had been feeding the kitten but didn't want it. I did ask/tell my husband and he was fine with it as long as it was no work for him. He is not a fan of cats at all.

However, it was way more work than I anticipated. Scooping the liter box was the easiest part honestly. The hardest was that my 1 year old constantly tried to eat cat food.

The kitten wouldn't let my kids pet her or hold her. They'd try and just get scratched (not so badly for the most part because she was a kitten). Kitten did like them when they were sleeping, but they did not appreciate feeling her nails on them in their sleep. (She wasn't trying to scratch. Just climbing.)

Anyway, after around 6 weeks, I gave her to my friend. It just wasn't working out and I didn't have extra money to invest in giving the cat a good life. She wasn't great for my kids so I couldn't justify having her because she would be good for them the same way a dog would. (Or some cats. But not this one.)

It does cost a nice amount of money too. Not like a dog but not nothing. They also can't eat much human food unless it's meat and even then some spices are dangerous for them. They are obligate carnivores so it needs to be meat. You can't feed them carbs.

Anyway, once I asked my husband for another kid and he said yes. I was shocked because he is done. Anyway, turns out he thought I said cat. So I guess he's on board. But I am not interested right now. Instead, I went back to petting other people's cats.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:34 am
cat food also smells bad

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 1:16 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
cat food also smells bad

The cat hatred on this thread is real.

And yet, an ancient civilization held cats in such high esteem that they built temples for them, and mummified dead cats so they could be buried with their owners?

(this was meant to be facetious, btw, and not that we should emulate ancient Egypt)

Last edited by vintagebknyc on Mon, Nov 14 2022, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 1:20 pm
I wouldn’t hold the Egyptians up as anything to emulate.

No cat hatred here just a reality check when people say there’s no smell and no one would notice etc

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 1:37 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
The cat hatred on this thread is real.

And yet, an ancient civilization held cats in such high esteem that they built temples for them, and mummified dead cats so they could be buried with their owners?

Made me think of this quote:

Or, in other words, dogs have owners; cats have staff.

Signed, a proud cat mom to several cats

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 1:38 pm
So…avoda zara?!

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 1:46 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
So…avoda zara?!

For the mitzrim, yup.

For the rest of us, nope, just cute furry kitties (who think they own us, instead of the other way around). Laugh
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets