Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Shavuos Discussion Topics

amother

Post Sat, May 31 2008, 8:55 pm
My husband is not big on learning any time of year, and he can't stand staying up all night. This puts Shavuos at almost the bottom of his favorite holiday list (possibly Pesach being lower because of all the physical effort required before y"t, as well as sitting at incredibly long meals with a head full of wine).

This year, I have invited a couple who is very close with both of us, and I thought, wouldn't it be nice if we could do a little learning all four of us...that way there's no pressure, we can all go to bed at a reasonable hour, and we might actually get some learning done because it will be interactive and (hopefully) interseting.

I am searching for a curriculum online that would facilitate about a 45-minute dicussion for the four of us, preferably with a kind of challenge or goal in mind, so that we can quantify what we have done (it feels so much more rewarding that way). I have looked on aish.com, ou.org and a few other websites with no luck. They all have online shiurim (which won't do us any good on y"t) or articles that talk at you, rather than inspire independent learning or discussion.

Ideally, what I want would be like a treasure hunt though Tanach.

Any ideas?

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 7:55 am
What topics interest your husband?

What is his level of learning and what is the level of the others?

Is there no local rabbi who will be teaching Shavuos night? In some areas, there are interesting shiurim.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 8:39 am
Quote:
Ideally, what I want would be like a treasure hunt though Tanach.

Any ideas?
Well, that's what Tikkun Leill Shavuos is! A sampling from every sefer in Tanach.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 12:32 pm
OP here-

He will not go to any shiurim!!! He gets really bored and turned off at just listening to things. He's not great at Gemara, and neither is the other man coming.

I think we'd all be intersted in somthing about parenting or crazy midrashim about well-known stories.

Any more ideas?

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 5:30 pm
Would HE present something on a topic that interests him, having done Internet research in advance so HE can lead it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics