Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Side Dishes - Arrgh!!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Chocoholic

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 4:19 pm
What about - totally not matching, but kids love it - mini pizza´s (with parve cheese), french fries, hush browns, those types of things. Not very elegant, but kids (and grown kids aka dhs) generally love that stuff.

What about a LASAGNA??

Sweet potatoe pie?

Edit: parve mac ´n cheese.. you probably dont even wanna smell it, but as long as it tastes unhealthy (a spoon of mayo can do wonders) the kids will finish it.

imamothertoo

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 12:56 am
noodles and cabbage? lukshen kugel? sweet potatoes? potatoes and peppers.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 1:02 am
Tamiri wrote:
downsyndrome wrote:
gosh, I've seen all your posts above; you're all so sweet, but you DON'T know my family Rolling Eyes . No raw veggie dishes, no cooked veggie dishes, no very-original (quinoa) dishes. What's left?

Constipation?

LOL

Downs, if you wanna patchke, you could try shlishkes.

RNworkingmom

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 2:57 am
I make these potatoes whenever I want a an easy to make side dish that is fairly fancy. The recipe comes from one of susie fishbeins cookboook, I do not remember.
BBQ potatoes:
I normally peel the potatoes but the original recipe tells you not to. this also tastes really goo when made with sweet potatoes.
Potatoes-cubed
onion powder, seasoned salt, garlic powder, paprika, salt, chili powder, black pepper. Mix the spices with olive oil and then toss with the cubed potatoes.
bake at 425 until done.

downsyndrome

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 9:46 am
Tamiri wrote:
downsyndrome wrote:
gosh, I've seen all your posts above; you're all so sweet, but you DON'T know my family Rolling Eyes . No raw veggie dishes, no cooked veggie dishes, no very-original (quinoa) dishes. What's left?

Constipation?

No Tamiri, my family is big on fruit - raw fruits.
Should I serve chicken and fruit salad as a side? Rolling Eyes Very Happy

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 9:52 am
Why not?

And tomatoes btw are technically fruits....

Clarissa

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 9:57 am
downsyndrome wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
downsyndrome wrote:

Constipation?

No Tamiri, my family is big on fruit - raw fruits.
Should I serve chicken and fruit salad as a side? Rolling Eyes Very Happy
You could, if you wanted to make grilled or broiled chicken breasts with fruit salsa. I often do that with fish. Fruit salsas can be versatile and you can serve a ton with the protein, so it's almost like a side dish.

I chop up any combination of the following:

ripe mango
ripe golden pineapple
red, orange or yellow bell pepper
papaya
orange segments
avocado
red onion
cilantro
lime juice
fresh orange juice

I make all different kinds of salsa, depending on what's available. Served with grilled chicken or fish and a simple starch, they're good.

downsyndrome

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 10:07 am
Clarissa, repeat, you don't know MY family. NOBODY will eat what you suggested. When I wrote that my family is big on fruit, it meant the simple apple, orange or peach/apricot, canteloupe, etc. from the fridge. No tossing exotic fruits with glazes and sauces over them; I would have more leftovers than I prepared originally! LOL

Clarissa

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 10:31 am
downsyndrome wrote:
Clarissa, repeat, you don't know MY family. NOBODY will eat what you suggested. When I wrote that my family is big on fruit, it meant the simple apple, orange or peach/apricot, canteloupe, etc. from the fridge. No tossing exotic fruits with glazes and sauces over them; I would have more leftovers than I prepared originally! LOL
Hey, I can work with that. I've made salsas with cantaloupe (adding some lime juice and finely chopped mint), orange segments mixed with fruit juice and chopped red onion and fruit juice. I've even done salsas with chopped apple and a few other things, and I've absolutely done peach salsas. Basically, chopping any fruit up, mixing a bit of juice in (usually lemon, lime and/or orange) and any finely chopped sweet or red onion and an herb, even one as innocuous as parsley. It's hard to make it taste bad. I'm not pushing here, I don't work for the Salsa Board or anything. Just trying to come up with some fruity thing. One other thing I do with fresh fruit is to make salads (the normal kind, with assorted lettuce) that have fruit in them, like chopped apple or orange segments. I sometimes add some sort of crumbled cheese, as well.

Miriam770

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 10:34 am
I went to my friend house and she made rice with a souce of a lot of fruits... was ery very tasty... If you like I will ask her, very french stile... she made a suce of dry fruts, plum, peaches...

Clarissa

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 10:36 am
I've made couscous with orange pieces, chickpeas and almond slices, with a kind of orange dressing mixed in and some chopped parsley.

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 10:37 am
shlishkes
cabbage and noodles
doughless potatoe knishes

mom7270

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 10:43 am
ok, sweet and sour greenbeans, breaded asparagus, asparagus with holondaise sauce, orzo and veggies, stacked potatoes, roasted potatoes, letcho, roasted veggies, squash in tomato sauce, eggplant rollups, veggie lomein, blintzes, knishes, turnovers, rice, when I think of more I'll post. oh- breaded cauliflower, and this one is yummy- you take a bag of frozen california veggies and pour can of cream corn on top, then put french's onions on top and bake together..

sarahd

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 2:09 pm
downs, Shavuos is only two days. How tired can you get of a side dish, even if you have it four times?

I second the shlishkes and kraut-pletzlach suggestions. Also bowties with bread crumbs (brezel). Those mashed potatoes piped onto a pan and rebaked also sound like something your family might go for. Try Defy's stuffing idea - my father was not a great fan of innovation, but he loved stuffing on the side.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 2:15 pm
Yeah, my husband's family aren't big vegetable eaters so my MIL always makes stuffing as a side dish. They're extremely picky and always eat it.

I agree with Sarahd, Shavuos only consists of 4 meals! I'm sure they'll be fine.

Sauteed onions, cabbage and egg noodles is also very good.

chaylizi

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 2:24 pm
sometimes I make muffins out of potato knish filling. also with potato kigel batter. just fill up a muffin tin and bake it like that.

yummydd

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 2:28 pm
here some simple ideas downs I understand you and wouldnt be able to try all those differnt types of recipes so heres my suggestion:

Make mashed potatoes with oil, salt pepper and whatever spices also add in a egg.
then make mashed sweet potatoes.

on a bakewell make one layer of regular potatoe and one layer of sweet poatatoes then roll as a swiss roll.

freeze then cut into slices when frozen.

take out on yom tov and bake the slices till crispy, yummy and simple and very elegant!

you can also try pasta and brazil.

how about potatoe latkes?

as a pie you can do the starwberry rhubarb pie,or the parve cheescake or little cherry pies.

if I think of anything else I will post again

good luck

suomynona

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 2:34 pm
Defy, how do you make stuffing as a side dish?

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 2:36 pm
suomynona wrote:
Defy, how do you make stuffing as a side dish?

The technical term for it would be dressing if it's not stuffed inside the cavity of a bird...

downsyndrome

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 4:06 pm
yummydd, I love your dual-potato roll suggestion, except there's one problem there: my kids will unroll it and scrape off the sweet potato part LOL and the rest, the white potato, will sit there in an ugly lump until they eat it.
Thanks everybody for your suggestions; I truly appreciate them.
I have another question now: HOW in the world do you teach kids to be more daring and creative with their palates? (and for that matter, husbands too!) I once read that if you want kids to learn to eat certain foods, just keep putting those foods on their plates, even if they leave 'em there, and with time they will dare venture a taste. Well, it hasn't worked here! Everybody is still the same stubborn with the foods they WILL eat and with the foods they WON'T eat, including darling husband!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics