Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Side Dishes - Arrgh!!!
1  2  3  Next

downsyndrome

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 2:32 pm
Do I post this before every single Yom Tov? I am running out of ideas for side dishes next to the meats. My husband doesn't touch flakey dough, doesn't like cooked vegetables, as don't my kids, so what's left? The same mashed potatoes, geribene beans, pasta, etc. that we eat all-year-round on the side? There's got to be something more special for Yom Tov that my family will enjoy.
Please DON'T suggest potato blintzes - they're coming out of my ears.

downsyndrome

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 2:38 pm
Oh, we know rice and ferfl too, but are bored stiff of those as well. Mad

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 2:39 pm
Scalloped potatoes
couscous (israeli kind, large pasta) with sauteed onions and mushrooms
Chinese noodles
Stuffing

Tamiri

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 2:42 pm
Carrot kugel, sweet potato kugel, squash kugle, apple kugel, Yerushalmi kugel
Three bean salad, Kasha, quinoa, lentils/rice, spicy black beans, paprika roasted potatoes, barley and mushrooms, barley and mushrooms without the mushrooms :D , corn salad with peppers, Knishes if you have nothing better to do with your time, eggrolls, moroccan cigars, refried knaidlach

Did I give you any easy ideas?

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 2:42 pm
Tabouli - either made from bulgur or quinoa

Pasta salads

Different fresh vegetable salads - I have 3 different types of tomato salads, there's cucumber salad, corn salad, eggplant salad, etc.

3 bean salad - I use chickpeas, kidney beans and green beans.

downsyndrome

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 2:45 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Scalloped potatoes
Quote:

What's that?

couscous (israeli kind, large pasta)

too similar to orzo and ferfl, which we have all the time

with sauteed onions and mushrooms
this goes into the rice by us and we also have it all the time

Chinese noodles

what's that? the stuff you put into soup?

Stuffing

well, we STUFF, we don't eat as side dish, even though it really is a side, but I also have to present full, pretty-looking plates at the table. A piece of chicken that's stuffed under the skin just takes up so much room on a plate and is only so-so attractive Very Happy

Forget it, I just previewed this post - the highlighting is in all the wrong places and I don't know how to undo it. I hope you can read what I wanted you to. Thanks.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 2:46 pm
Scalloped potatoes are alternate layers of thinly sliced potatoes with cream sauce and then baked. Kosher by Design has a pareve recipe for them.

downsyndrome

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 2:47 pm
gosh, I've seen all your posts above; you're all so sweet, but you DON'T know my family Rolling Eyes . No raw veggie dishes, no cooked veggie dishes, no very-original (quinoa) dishes. What's left?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 2:51 pm
Stuffing isn't only something that you stuff into chicken, it's a whole side dish and is very delicious and often eaten by non-vegetably eaters (it's made from bits of bread, sauteed onions, carrots, and celery).

Chinese noodles is angel hair pasta mixed with a bit of oil, brown sugar, and soy sauce. You can also add sesame seeds, scallions, etc.

Tamiri

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 2:52 pm
downsyndrome wrote:
gosh, I've seen all your posts above; you're all so sweet, but you DON'T know my family Rolling Eyes . No raw veggie dishes, no cooked veggie dishes, no very-original (quinoa) dishes. What's left?

Constipation?

HooRYou

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 2:57 pm
What's left is that you have to find a way to make serving the same things look different even if they won't taste different since your family won't eat anything different. For example, take your regular mashed potatoes and make sure they are really smooth and use a pastry bag to shape them into mini-Har Sinais (it is Shavuous). I would say you could decorate them with parsley or chopped veggies except your family won't eat them, if I understand you correctly. You could probably pre-make these and broil them a little in the oven so the outsides are slightly brown and crusty. Also, if you family likes pasta can you make something like stuffed shells or lasagne roll-ups filled with anything they will eat (yes, more mashed potato if that's what will work). Send us all of the things they will wat and we can find something that will work for you.

Tamiri

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 3:03 pm
How about pasta shells stuffed with mashed potatoes?

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 3:05 pm
What about stuffed vegetables (peppers, cabbage and zucchini), or they won't even touch that?

Akeres Habayis

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 3:33 pm
if u eat onions and mushrooms u can stuff mushrooms w/breadcrumbs and margerine and stuff onions w/meat.
do u eat beets??(that's crain)coleslaw??
a pan dressing is good....it isnt'a kugel!!
there's a mushroom onion dip sautee both together and add a drop of mayo.

HooRYou

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 3:33 pm
I forgot. You can make those potatotes that are whole, and sliced thin, but not all the way through. Between the slices you put tiny amounts of something like garlic and olive oil, ground onions with salt and pepper or whatever they will eat and then you bake them. I think KBD calls them Hasselback potatoes.

Mrs. Mommy

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 3:41 pm
What about a dish that is both main dish and side dish? For example, make chicken with a sauce and mix the sauce together with pasta. I do that pretty often and it is really good. If you want, I have a very delicious recipe for this.
I also have a recipe (don't know it offhand, I'd havta check my recipe book for you) that is a squash kugel, but very cakey. It is sweet and yummy. If you don't tell them it is squash, they'd never know. Maybe it is worth a try?! Let me know..

goodgirl

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 3:49 pm
can u please post the recipie for scalloped potatoes?

Miriam770

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 4:01 pm
what about rice? we love rice... and is a good side dish... you can make it with onions or any vegetable... or eggs...

Akeres Habayis

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 4:03 pm
she said they eat a lot of rice already

cookielady

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 4:07 pm
goodgirl wrote:
can u please post the recipie for scalloped potatoes?

I just posted it under Dairy/Parve meals.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics