Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Tell all! Share your experience and knowledge regarding twin
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 8:08 am
I recently found out I'm having twins. I have lots questions... if you have any experience please share.

The good, the bad, the ugly, the fun parts...

In relation to pregnancy, childbirth and the first year

Much appreciated

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:03 am
I have 3 year old twins... I'll happily answer questions, go ahead and ask! Smile

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:09 am
You’re in for a ride but it’s the best ride ever!
My twin toddlers can bite and fight and yell and the next second be hugging and kissing. They are really each other’s best friend.
What kind of Qs do you have?

There’s a good chance you will give birth a little early, and nursing two can be very hard so don’t pressure yourself.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:16 am
Wow! Mazel tov
that's so exciting!
Will thy be your first? how many kids do you have?
I WISH I can have twins!!!

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:17 am
You are so so lucky! Twin pregnancy is super hard and twin babies are not easy. But so unbelievably rewarding! My twins are 18 months old and the cuteness and magic of having two toddlers that are so similar yet totally different is just so incredible! The way they interact with each other is such a special experience. B’shah tova and I’m so happy for you!

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:22 am
I have twin siblings.

My mom always said that the pre-toilet training years are the hardest. But once they learn to play together, it's a lot easier because they always have a playmate.

Also, they fought constantly and are best friends at the same time.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:38 am
We're in the same boat! I'm in my 5th month pregnant with twins! kids number 5&6 iyh.

I'm following this thread for any tips or advice! I'm so so nervous about it. It's not something I always dreamed of, but I know I need to be grateful!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:43 am
So I do have kids already, actually all of one gender so hoping for the other....

What's the pregnancy like, the nausea and other systems are 3x worse then normal and in general I have hard pregnancies?

What about delivery, how did you end up delivering?

The first year, how did you manage?
What are must have items?

How do you deal with car seats, I had planned on getting a doona this time around... I don't have a car seat as it's expired

I would like to nurse, I always nursed with my others, and dealt with an over supply so I hope it helps me in this case 🤪

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:47 am
Mine were brown a month early, c section bc baby b was breech (they can’t turn a breech twin). Doctor on call wasn’t comfortable delivering a breeched baby.
One baby had a nicu stay (they were a month early plus twins are lower weight so just needed to gain more weight).

Save up for a night nurse. Trust me. If you can do it it will really help. In the beginning they’ll be on two different schedules and it will be really hard waking up every hour. Even if you can only do a night nurse a couple of times a week.

I did two car seats that snap into a stroller (that way no bassinet needed for stroller). I’m really happy with my valco snap trend.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 11:57 am
One thing at a time, op.
Now that you are pregnant, let’s look into how to make the best outcome out of a twin pregnancy.
By the end of the pregnancy you look into strollers, feeding arrangements etc etc.
Get yourself a good twin pregnancy book.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 12:20 pm
My pregnancy was not dramatically harder than any others, until the last month when I was just so big it was hard to move. My nausea was definitely not worse.

Main thing with twin pregnancies is to eat plenty, bigger babies are better off.

Mine were born a good size (7+ lb each) full term (40+ weeks) and I had them naturally (first head down, second breech).

Nursed them both exclusively until 7 months, I didn't have oversupply issues so I was getting nervous at that point that they weren't getting enough!

I had two regular car seats and didn't have a snap n' go double frame in those days, it was hard so I don't recommend doing it my way Smile

I tried a double nursing pillow to make it easier, but in the end it didn't help much which was frustrating. But many people swear by them so they are worth a try, just buy from a place that accepts returns.

I loved my swaddle blankets, those were a must-have for me!

Splurge on a a few matching outfits even if you have plenty of clothes because the cuteness is what gets you through the challenges.

There will be hard parts at the beginning. There's no way to get around it. But those hard times will pass. I felt like I woke up for the first time at 3 months Smile

You can set yourself up for success to a point.

Make sure there is plenty of easy to grab food for you (I was RAVENOUS the first few months). I used to eat a big (32 oz) yogurt mixed with a quarter box of cereal for breakfast many days.

Keep a stocked diaper basket right by your bed, along with a good trash can and a laundry basket. Being able to keep the space you're in relatively neat will help your sanity significantly.

Use every shortcut in the book plus some. Disposables are your friend at the beginning, the environment will forgive you these weeks of sanity. I used a plastic table cover for every single meal including breakfast so the table would actually get cleared.

I set up a king size mattress on the floor for myself so I could co-sleep safely with both babies and actually get some sleep. The exhaustion at the beginning was really hard. (In retrospect I should have taken iron after the birth to help with recovery some.)

Best piece of advice I got: One at a time. They are born one at a time, and they will also have to take turns very often to get changed/held/fed. Don't expect to be able to always make them both happy simultaneously (although they very often will!).

I love having twins and would be thrilled to have another set!

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 1:51 pm
Dark Red- Did you have any help?

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 1:53 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Dark Red- Did you have any help?

My sister came for a few days. Then we were on our own.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:01 pm
My twins are almost six months old. I had them vaginally bh. Pregnancy was so difficult! I had no problems nursing my other kids and also always had oversupply. What I wasn't prepared for was their terrible latch! They were considered full term for twins, but because they were a little earlier than your average baby they just couldn't nurse. So if you really want to nurse them be prepared to pump a lot in the hospital just to get things going for your supply.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:04 pm
Wow Darkred! Because everyone is telling me I need minimum 2-3 months of help no matter what! I like hearing another perspective!

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:07 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Wow Darkred! Because everyone is telling me I need minimum 2-3 months of help no matter what! I like hearing another perspective!

I'm sure it makes life a lot easier to have the help! So if it's available take it with zero guilt. But if you can't, you'll still be okay.

Just remember: If what you're doing is important, IT'S OKAY FOR THEM TO CRY. Not for hours, but for a few minutes while you go to the bathroom, grab yourself a sandwich, or just stretch. You can verbally reassure them (that always makes it easier for me), telling them you'll be right back.

And try to get outside every day. That's what double strollers are made for. It will help you feel human again.

(ETA mine were 4 & 5)

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:07 pm
I thought I could do it on my own and I couldn't. Instead I ended up with hemhoraging. Also 5&6 for me.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:12 pm
Do what works best for you. But I also like to deal with my babies one at a time. Many online blogs will say do everything at same time and what worked best for me was one at a time. But I will say the newborn stage is really difficult to not have help. Hearing a newborn cry while you are dealing with the other baby does something to your psyche. At 4 months it got slightly easier.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:23 pm
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
Mine were brown a month early, c section bc baby b was breech (they can’t turn a breech twin). Doctor on call wasn’t comfortable delivering a breeched baby.
One baby had a nicu stay (they were a month early plus twins are lower weight so just needed to gain more weight).

Save up for a night nurse. Trust me. If you can do it it will really help. In the beginning they’ll be on two different schedules and it will be really hard waking up every hour. Even if you can only do a night nurse a couple of times a week.

I did two car seats that snap into a stroller (that way no bassinet needed for stroller). I’m really happy with my valco snap trend.

many drs will turn and deliver baby b breech. its not the same as delivering a singleton breech. my baby b was born feet first.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:32 pm
Thanks for everyone's advice and tips! I think that I'm having them in the winter will make it so much harder cuz' I can't even sit on the porch or outside...

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread Smile I'm just in the same boat as you.
Feel free to take over!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more