Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
Formula/milk/other? Baby stopping to nurse

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 05 2022, 4:48 pm
Just found out that I’m pregnant, the nausea just started and I’m still nursing my 1 year old son. BH weening off slowly should be totally done by the end of the coming week. We’ve tried formula for him since he’s born to no avail. Just tried again now and he’s not taking it. Do I have to give him a dairy drink?? I’m not so into cows milk, wondering if there are any other healthy options or advice of what I should do??
Is drinking water enough? He loves water

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 2:19 am
I haven't spoken to a nutritionist about this, but from my intuition: my now 13 month old weaned at a year. She eats three meals a day, one of which always includes yogurt/cottage cheese with sour cream/cheese.
She gets plenty of fats, proteins, fruits, and vegetables throughout the day.
I don't feel the need to give her cow's milk, she drinks water.
She's growing beautifully, has 12 teeth already, and is both strong and smart.
I offered cow's milk in the past, but she hasn't been interested.
At this point, it isn't a part of her diet.
Again, this is just what I do. I didn't speak to anyone about it, and I don't really feel the need to.

dinglehopper

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 3:44 am
You should call your pediatrician for advice.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 4:29 am
I spoke this through a couple of times with a pediatrician. As long as they are eating a balanced diet, water is enough.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 4:53 am
Some people give goats milk as an alternative to cows milk. The nutritional profile is closer to human breast milk, and it is meant to be absorbed more easily. If he is eating well and drinking plenty if fluids, it isn't essential.

banana123

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 8:15 am
If he's over a year old you don't need to give him anything, other than water and a balanced diet.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 3:30 pm
Thank you all so much foe your responses I was feeling so bad about stopping to nurse, happy to hear that he’ll be fine BH and going to my fam doc tomorrow also will run it by her as well

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 3:31 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I haven't spoken to a nutritionist about this, but from my intuition: my now 13 month old weaned at a year. She eats three meals a day, one of which always includes yogurt/cottage cheese with sour cream/cheese.
She gets plenty of fats, proteins, fruits, and vegetables throughout the day.
I don't feel the need to give her cow's milk, she drinks water.
She's growing beautifully, has 12 teeth already, and is both strong and smart.
I offered cow's milk in the past, but she hasn't been interested.
At this point, it isn't a part of her diet.
Again, this is just what I do. I didn't speak to anyone about it, and I don't really feel the need to.

I’m always looking for meal ideas for him if you have a chance can you send over some??

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 9:54 pm
My pediatrician is not in favor of cows milk. They would either recommend a dairy alternative that isn't full of sugar or just pay close attention to diet and make sure he's getting enough fat and protein.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 10:35 pm
You may have already considered this, but I’ve just nursed through multiple pregnancies. Unless you have a history of issues, it’s not a problem at all.

When my milk supply tanked during one pregnancy, I was told no need to supplement my 11 month old.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 11:06 pm
My baby wasn't tolerating cow's milk well, my pediatrician recommended Ripple Pea Milk. (My baby is underweight and needs the calories and fat.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding