Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Leaving Glasstop on?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:39 pm
Has anyone left a glasstop stove on over yomtov on a low setting? I remember hearing it can shatter the glass but heard from a friend it worked for them. Please share your experiences.

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:40 pm
Please, please, do not!!! A neighbor of mine had a fire started in her kitchen from this

amother
Dill

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:42 pm
No way. Either just leave the oven on shabbos mode or a hot plate on a timer.

ETA yes they have a big chance of shattering. That doesn't mean they always will, but why on earth would you want to risk something so dangerous?

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:43 pm
I’ve done it multiple times, even on a medium and once (by mistake) on a high setting. I use upside down cookie sheets as a blech. Never had an issue beyond any spills burning on.

Remove the knobs so you don’t accidentally hit a knob with a pot and turn the burner on too high!

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 3:00 pm
Would it stay on? When I had a glasstop cooker, it would switch itself off after a certain amount of hours, so it wouldn't anyway work to keep it on.
I bought a cheap plug in single ring electric hob that I can put on a timeswitch over yom tov. Much safer and it means I'm not leaving something on for 3 days when I only need it for a few hours total.

etky

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 3:10 pm
I did it for 20 years with zero issues. Never even heard about the possibility of shattering.
For the past couple of years though I haven't been doing it because my stove is having 'issues'. Its thermostat has become temperamental - rarely but unpredictably, so I no longer feel it is safe to leave on unattended.
Now I also use a plug in electric burner that I leave on a timer. It's a good solution for my needs.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 3:16 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Would it stay on? When I had a glasstop cooker, it would switch itself off after a certain amount of hours, so it wouldn't anyway work to keep it on.
I bought a cheap plug in single ring electric hob that I can put on a timeswitch over yom tov. Much safer and it means I'm not leaving something on for 3 days when I only need it for a few hours total.

I had one of these but it always switched the ring on as soon as I put a pot on it, and turned off when I removed the pot, and that didn’t feel right on Yom Tov.

I also cook a lot on Yom Tov so I do use the burners a lot.

etky

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 3:18 pm
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
I had one of these but it always switched the ring on as soon as I put a pot on it, and turned off when I removed the pot, and that didn’t feel right on Yom Tov.

That's the issue with induction ranges as far as I understand.
Regular ceramic hobs don't usually operate like that

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 3:21 pm
etky wrote:
That's the issue with induction ranges as far as I understand.
Regular ceramic hobs don't usually operate like that

This was a cheap electric ring, not induction.

ETA It was switched on, but the ring would always light up as soon as a pot was placed on it, and turn off immediately or very soon after removing it. It did occasionally turn on and off at other times, but this behavior seemed to be consistent and it made me uncomfortable using it.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 3:27 pm
I always do this on Pesach and I've never had an issue. I leave it on the lowest possible setting and never leave it without a pot on top. When not heating something I always have a huge pot of water sitting on it. Again, the heat is so low it takes hours for the water to come to a boil. I only use it to heat soup - I don't turn it up to start cooking things. Never occurred to me it was unsafe.

dankbar

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 3:53 pm
There is glass top with fire & there is electric gas top seems like people are conflating both. I have glass top with fire and was told you can't use blech because dangerous. I only use hot plate

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 4:09 pm
dankbar wrote:
There is glass top with fire & there is electric gas top seems like people are conflating both. I have glass top with fire and was told you can't use blech because dangerous. I only use hot plate

What does a glass top with fire look like? I only know about electric glass tops.

dankbar

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 4:15 pm
It's a regular stove but top is covered in glass to look fancier idk. Supposedly cleans easier but it's murder to clean & can't use blech with fire on because glass can shatter .

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 4:21 pm
dankbar wrote:
It's a regular stove but top is covered in glass to look fancier idk. Supposedly cleans easier but it's murder to clean & can't use blech with fire on because glass can shatter .

So what’s an electric glass top?

I have an electric stovetop with a smooth glass surface. It is WAY easier to clean than ceramic with coils. Here the coils are under the glass. I use an upside down cookie sheet, not a flat blech.

I’ve had mine for over five years, left on for many Shabbosim and plenty of two and three day Yomim Tovim with no issues.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 4:22 pm
dankbar wrote:

Not sure what that means but mine is definitely electric. Don't even have a gas line to my house.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 4:24 pm
This was a cheap electric ring, not induction.

ETA It was switched on, but the ring would always light up as soon as a pot was placed on it, and turn off immediately or very soon after removing it. It did occasionally turn on and off at other times, but this behavior seemed to be consistent and it made me uncomfortable using it.

I'm pretty that's a safety feature on some models. Definitely ask a shaila about using it on yt if interested.

dankbar

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 4:32 pm
So what’s an electric glass top?

I have an electric stovetop with a smooth glass surface. It is WAY easier to clean than ceramic with coils. Here the coils are under the glass. I use an upside down cookie sheet, not a flat blech.

I’ve had mine for over five years, left on for many Shabbosim and plenty of two and three day Yomim Tovim with no issues.

You have an electric where you see red light under the glass. Mine has sealed top burners above the glass that works with gas & flame

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 4:35 pm
amother [ Dill ] wrote:
I'm pretty that's a safety feature on some models. Definitely ask a shaila about using it on yt if interested.

Could be, but it wasn’t an advertised feature!

I got rid of that one, but are there any models that are known NOT to have such a feature?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics