Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Who's still counting with a bracha?
Previous  1  2

Are you still counting with a bracha?
Yes  
 62%  [ 42 ]
No  
 37%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 67

TzenaRena

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 4:43 am
Quote:
There have been some years where I counted each day. One of the exceptions was the year when I got married on lag ba'omer...
or the time I gave birth towards the end of the counting....or the middle...( we have ka"h a few Iyar birthdays here.)

So far, still making a brocha. Smile

cookielady

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 4:46 am
Im really hoping this will be 4th year straight in a row. but maybe its too soon to tell! I have had other good years in counting but not in a run like this so, im hoping!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 4:47 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Quote:
Women are not exempt from Mitzvot, time-bound or not. We just don't share the same level of commitment that men do.

Women are exempt from מצות עשה שהזמן גרמה.
But we still make a brocha on the Mitzvos that are shehazman gramah, that we do perform, or take on. including birchas haTorah. This is according to the Alter Rebbe.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 5:45 am
imaonwheels wrote:
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:
I once asked Rav Mordechai Eliyahu Shlit"a (may he have a complete and speedy recovery) about counting the omer with a bracha. He said that women should not count with a bracha.

This is the Sefardi opinion. Nearly all Ashkenazi rabbonim who say women should count should do so with a brocha.

The interesting thing was, that when I asked Rav Eliyahu (as a sephardiah), he said to make berachot on all the mitzvot (Hallel, Lulav, etc.) EXCEPT omer. I asked him because I knew that there are some sephardi rabbanim who say that women should not even make the berachot before and after kriyat shema with Shem u'Malchut (because, yes, Mimivan, we are halachically exempt from the obligation of kriyat shema because it is time-bound, although there are other reasons why we should read it - no time to go into all the details now).

As for time-bound mitzvot, the general rule is that if the positive time-bound mitzvah is linked to a negative time-bound mitzvah, then women are not exempt. Which is why we must keep Shabbat, mikveh etc. Sefirat ha-omer is not linked to a negative commandment, therefore we are exempt from it (other examples: tefillin, tzitzit).

sacohen

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 5:55 am
The Artscroll woman's siddur (Ashkenaz) says that women do not need to count but they may do so if they wish. According to many authorities they should do so without saying the brocha. This is because the mitzva is complete only if counted everyday. This Halacha applies to men as well, but it is of less concern because they are obligated to attend maariv and are therefore reminded each night.
Some authorities do permit women to say the brocha if they are confident that they will be careful about it and have a reminder for the counting.

I don't have a copy with me but I think that Halichas Bas Yisroel says the same thing (I might be wrong about that)

Amital

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 6:01 am
I don't count at all (although I do "help" with my dh and sons), and we are Sephardi.

That said, I thought it was more common without a bracha, if at all, for women.

In the Halacha-a-day e-mail I get, (obviously NOT a substitute for a LOR!), it said:

Quote:
The obligation of Sefirat Ha'omer falls under the category of "Misvot Ase She'ha'zman Gerama" - Misvot that apply only in a certain time-frame. Halacha generally exempts women from the Misvot in this category, and, as such, women are exempt from the obligation of Sefirat Ha'omer. The question thus arises as to whether women may nevertheless count the Omer if they so desire, and, if so, whether they may recite the Beracha over the counting.

Regarding the second question, it is clear that Sephardic women should not recite a Beracha over the counting of the Omer. Sephardic practice follows the ruling of the Shulhan Aruch that a woman who chooses to perform a Misva from which she is exempt cannot recite the Beracha. Since she is not included under the obligation, she cannot recite the text, "Asher Kideshanu Be'misvotav Ve'sivanu" (".Who has sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us."). Thus, for example, a woman who wishes to shake the Lulav on Sukkot may certainly do so, though she may not recite the Beracha of "Al Netilat Lulav," since she is not bound by this Misva.

In the case of Sefirat Ha'omer, however, a number of authorities ruled that a woman should not even count the Omer without a Beracha, because according to Kabbalistic teaching this Misva has no relevance to women. This is the ruling of the Ben Ish Hai (Rabbi Yosef Haim of Baghdad, 1833-1909), in his work Rav Pe'alim, and of the Kaf Ha'haim (Rabbi Yaakov Haim Sofer, 1870-1939). Hacham Ben Sion Abba Shaul (Israel, 1924-1998) likewise follows this position in his work Or Le'sion (vol. 3).

Oy, I hate sounding ignorant, but here goes: It sounds like many women count with a bracha? Please no bashing, I'm just curious!

mimivan

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 8:01 am
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:
imaonwheels wrote:
Ribbie Danzinger wrote:
I once asked Rav Mordechai Eliyahu Shlit"a (may he have a complete and speedy recovery) about counting the omer with a bracha. He said that women should not count with a bracha.

This is the Sefardi opinion. Nearly all Ashkenazi rabbonim who say women should count should do so with a brocha.

The interesting thing was, that when I asked Rav Eliyahu (as a sephardiah), he said to make berachot on all the mitzvot (Hallel, Lulav, etc.) EXCEPT omer. I asked him because I knew that there are some sephardi rabbanim who say that women should not even make the berachot before and after kriyat shema with Shem u'Malchut (because, yes, Mimivan, we are halachically exempt from the obligation of kriyat shema because it is time-bound, although there are other reasons why we should read it - no time to go into all the details now).

As for time-bound mitzvot, the general rule is that if the positive time-bound mitzvah is linked to a negative time-bound mitzvah, then women are not exempt. Which is why we must keep Shabbat, mikveh etc. Sefirat ha-omer is not linked to a negative commandment, therefore we are exempt from it (other examples: tefillin, tzitzit).

Thanks ribbie

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 9:45 am
Rav Ovadia forbids a woman making a brocho on any mitzva she is not obligated.

Chassidishe rabbonim generally pasken al pi rabbonim that also consider kabbala and there is generally no problem with those who count making a brocho. The halacha for a man is that if he misses a day he continues to count but not make a brocho. If missing a day destroyed the validity of the sefira there would be no need to continue counting and a problem for men who generally do not daven maariv in a minyan.

That is why it is discussed in poskim that the continuing to count w/o a brocho is an recognization that sefira has both aspects.

mamacita

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 9:46 am
This year I got wise to the fact that I can't be counted on (ba-dum-dum) to remember and didn't try with a bracha.

I also learned that it was better for a woman to not count with a bracha, but after 4 self righteous years of trying to do it anyway and failing miserably (this is the second year I blew it within the first 3 days), my fear of even more bracha l'vitalas outweighs my drive for perfectionism. Sad Not saying that women who count with a bracha are self-righteous, but being honest with my own motives. Makes it even more pathetic and ironic that I keep failing, ha.

flowerpower

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 10:59 am
never made one with a bracha

TzenaRena

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 4:12 am
Quote:
my fear of even more bracha l'vitalas outweighs my drive for perfectionism.
The brochos you made before forgetting to count one day are not bracha l'vatalah.

louche

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 12:39 pm
I'm still in, thanks to children who remind me. I'll be sunk once they leave the nest.

BlumaG

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 12:44 pm
yep still counting DH pretty much always reminds me n if he forgets at night will remind me the next day - my little are enjoying seeing the omer chart fill up w/ stickers

cookielady

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 3:23 pm
My cell phone alarm goes off every night to remind me, I just have to remember on Shabbos. But so far so good.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 2:24 am
So... I'm still counting with a Bracha!

Anyone else?

hila

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 2:36 am
me.

Waiting now for Matan Torah

cookielady

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 5:30 am
still in kah! That cell phone reminder is really working out well!

amother

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 5:36 am
cookielady wrote:
still in kah! That cell phone reminder is really working out well!

that's what I did, too. Besides, my 8-yr-old also reminds ,me every nt kah and we say it together.

anon b/c I don't want ayin hara at this point.

greentiger

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 6:02 am
I'm in. Smile

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 7:00 am
me
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days