Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Who's still counting with a bracha?
1  2  Next

Are you still counting with a bracha?
Yes  
 62%  [ 42 ]
No  
 37%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 67

justanothermother

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 11:57 am
Not me. I already forgot a day.

Maybe if we keep this thread bumped up every day, it would help others not to forget.

Last edited by justanothermother on Fri, May 02 2008, 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 12:00 pm
mayb emake a poll?

miri123

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 12:03 pm
me, that's my hachlata for my birthday that was this wednesday

justanothermother

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 12:10 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
mayb emake a poll?

done.

baba

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 12:13 pm
yes, but only cause I put an reminder in my phone.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 2:42 pm
what are you going to do on shabbos ?

Crayon210

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 2:57 pm
Why not put something unusual on the table...then when you see that item and think, what is this doing here...oh! I'm supposed to count. ;-)

justanothermother

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 3:12 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
Why not put something unusual on the table...then when you see that item and think, what is this doing here...oh! I'm supposed to count. ;-)

My kids would take it off because it didn't really belong there and then figure out some way to break it, no matter what it was.

Crayon210

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 3:13 pm
Maybe leave a note under your plate. ;-)

ny21

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 3:35 pm
no

realeez

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 3:37 pm
switch your watch to the opposite arm late in the day! that should drive you nuts until you say it!

justanothermother

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 4:10 pm
mommyabc123 wrote:
switch your watch to the opposite arm late in the day! that should drive you nuts until you say it!

I'd have to remember to actually put on my watch in the morning... that is if I can remember where I put it last night. Oh, then I'd have to remember why it's on the other arm anyway, if I haven't already taken it off and misplaced it when I was giving baths.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, May 03 2008, 3:16 pm
I have my cellphone ring at 8:30 p.m. Saturday - Thursday.

On Friday, I write a big note: Today is day XX of the Omer, tuck it into my big Siddur and put it at my place on the Shabbat table.

My kids know better than to touch the Siddur.

freidasima

Post Sat, May 03 2008, 3:50 pm
we make an omer calendar every year and put it on the fridge and cross off the days at night. Shabbos when dh comes home from shul he reminds me.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sat, May 03 2008, 6:34 pm
I once asked Rav Mordechai Eliyahu Shlit"a (may he have a complete and speedy recovery) about counting the omer with a bracha. He said that women should not count with a bracha. I think that there are other rabbanim who pasken that way because a woman does not have the reminder of davening with a minyan and she is therefore (almost) bound to forget to count at some stage, which according to some opinions could render all her previous brachot unnecessary. (Also, a woman is exempt from mitzvot that are time-dependant.)

That said, I already forgot a couple of days, even though dh and ds try to remind me every evening, but since I didn't start making a bracha at all, this was less of a problem.
There have been some years where I counted each day. One of the exceptions was the year when I got married on lag ba'omer...

mimivan

Post Sat, May 03 2008, 8:13 pm
That is interesting. So each day does not count as a beracha on its own for that day (we say a bracha on that particular day) but if one in a series is forgotten and a woman can no longer count with a bracha, it renders the others as having said a bracha in vain?

I'm pretty sure my rav doesn't pasken that way, but it is an interesting idea.

I've always thought it was an interesting idea that women are exempt from mitzvos that are time dependent when our mitzvahs seem to be about the most time dependent there are....I..e. lighthing Shabbos candles, going to the mikveh...without going too OT, can anyone explain that one to me? (also aren't women supposed to say kriat shema, which is pretty time-bound)

BTW...I don't think I've ever made it through with being able to say the bracha the whole 49 days. embarrassed

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 1:00 am
mimivan wrote:
I've always thought it was an interesting idea that women are exempt from mitzvos that are time dependent when our mitzvahs seem to be about the most time dependent there are....I..e. lighthing Shabbos candles, going to the mikveh...without going too OT, can anyone explain that one to me? (also aren't women supposed to say kriat shema, which is pretty time-bound)

I think the issue is perception.

Women are not exempt from Mitzvot, time-bound or not. We just don't share the same level of commitment that men do.

Purplehair

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 1:15 am
Yes, I'm still counting with a bracha!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
In fact, I would have forgotten to count tonight if not for this thread...SO THANKS!!!!!!!

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 1:19 am
Quote:
Women are not exempt from Mitzvot, time-bound or not. We just don't share the same level of commitment that men do.

Women are exempt from מצות עשה שהזמן גרמה.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 4:07 am
Quote:
I once asked Rav Mordechai Eliyahu Shlit"a (may he have a complete and speedy recovery) about counting the omer with a bracha. He said that women should not count with a bracha.

This is the Sefardi opinion. Nearly all Ashkenazi rabbonim who say women should count should do so with a brocha.

Sefirat HaOmer has some aspect of one large mitzva and some aspects of 49 individual mitzva. There is much discussion on the reason for this both in halachic and hashkafic literature. The general Sefardi opinion is that one does not bentch on a mitzva that is not a chiuv.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days