Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
School vent

yehudis

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 12:01 am
I don't understand why the school day has to be so long, and why school starts so early in the morning. My 4-year-old is an owl. It's impossible to get her to sleep early, and it's hard for her to get up at 6:30 a.m. Even with the time change. I am so frustrated -- today my 2-year-old had a cold and was very tired and asking to go to sleep, so I tried to get her to go to sleep before the 7:15 bedtime, and I asked the 4-year-old to talk to the baby so she doesn't cry. My husband wasn't home yet. So it took forever for the 2-year-old to fall asleep (I kept thinking that she was almost asleep, so I stayed with her), by the time the 4-year-old was in bed it was 7:40, and she didn't fall asleep until 8:20. Even if she does get to bed by 7:15, it takes her at least half an hour to fall asleep. (Before school, her bedtime was between 8 and 9.)

Anyway, the school day is 6 hours, plus an hour to get there and back, so she comes home exhausted. She didn't want anything when she came home today -- no food, no drink, no park... Then, in a couple of hours, she goes to the oppoosite extreme -- she gets wild.

She's only 4. Why does her life have to be so complicated? And next year, the school won't be over until 3:45...

chavamom

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 1:24 am
I'm sorry it's so hard right now. At age 4, they don't have a 1/2 day program?

(btw - the 'wild a few hours later' is ususally b/c they are overtired. Is it possible to get her to bed earlier and then let her take the 1/2 hour she needs to fall asleep?)

yehudis

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 7:20 pm
This is the half-day program, until 2. Full day is until 3:45 or 4:30.

I've tried getting her into bed earlier -- she doesn't fall asleep. She gets overtired around 5. That's too early for bed.

Today she also got home exhausted. She loves the school. I just wish the school day was shorter, and started later. And I'm dreading next year, when it's even later.

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 11:23 pm
yehudis-come move here.

my 4 yr old has nursery from 9:30-1:30. and all she wants after school is to go to play at someones house. most of us would prefer a longer day for the kids.
next yr she will start at 8:20 and end 1:45. again-way too early in the day. her sibs dont get home until 4. the school is 2-3 blocks away- so no traveling time involved.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers