Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How do you say רייסטל in English?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 7:06 pm
see title?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 7:07 pm
Roux

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 7:09 pm
Roux- I believe x is silent

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 7:12 pm
Roux (pronounced roo) is French but that's the word used in recipes in English. I don't think there's an actual English word for it.
I guess English speakers don't understand the beauty of what you can do to a recipe with a little oil and flour. They'd rather drown their food in bottled sauces heavy with sweeteners and stabilizers you find on the label and can't pronounce.

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 7:25 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
Roux (pronounced roo) is French but that's the word used in recipes in English. I don't think there's an actual English word for it.
I guess English speakers don't understand the beauty of what you can do to a recipe with a little oil and flour. They'd rather drown their food in bottled sauces heavy with sweeteners and stabilizers you find on the label and can't pronounce.

Why the need to put others down?

Many words are adopted from other languages.

Genius

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 7:26 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:

Wary of the world, aren’t ya?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 9:15 am
amother [ Opal ] wrote:

This English speaker loves the magic of a roux! I showed my dd6 just the other day what just oil, flour and milk can become! Btw, I always use half of the oil called for and it still comes out beautifully. I know, not the classic ratio, but it works well and less calories and fat.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 9:17 am
amother [ Opal ] wrote:

Eeeewwwwwww
(I'm saying eeewww because I'm disgusted by your post.)

realsilver

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 9:20 am
What do you use this for , besides to thicken soups?

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 9:20 am
Who thought a thread asking for a translation can become a sarcastic, mocking thread What Scratching Head Hiding Banging head

The wonders on imamother never ceases to amaze (& amuse!) me...

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 9:21 am
realsilver wrote:
What do you use this for , besides to thicken soups?

Spinach

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 9:33 am
I make a roux for Mac and cheese
Mushrooms sauce
Spinach
Soup

mindyme

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:18 pm
Scalloped potatoes. Any nice sauce.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:22 pm
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
This English speaker loves the magic of a roux! I showed my dd6 just the other day what just oil, flour and milk can become! Btw, I always use half of the oil called for and it still comes out beautifully. I know, not the classic ratio, but it works well and less calories and fat.

This English speaker doesn’t know what roux means, but very rarely uses bottled sauces.
Not sure why people feel the need to put down others who do differently than them. (Isn’t this what’s being discussed in the chumra thread???)

moonstone

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:25 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:

Why not post this pearl of wisdom under your username?

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:26 pm
moonstone wrote:
Why not post this pearl of wisdom under your username?
Please chill here. I didn't find it offensive.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:39 pm
ShishKabob wrote:

How is it not offensive? It's disgustingly offensive.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:41 pm
ShishKabob wrote:

Judging by the responses, many others did….

moonstone

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:56 pm
Let's say it wasn't offensive. My question still stands. There was nothing even remotely personal in that post.

nicole81

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 4:08 pm
amother [ Opal ] wrote:

Wow, ok.

The English word for roux is roux. Language is a construct that is constantly evolving due to many factors, one being the influence of other cultures and languages. It's like telling me I don't have a name in English🤣

Just like jeans (an American fashion item) are called jeans in french. And kangaroo is the same word in English and MIH. And the word telephone sounds the same in hundreds of languages..

Les francais n'ont pas le droit d'auteur sur la bonne cuisine, n'est-ce pas?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics