Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Pesach products
1  2  Next

atlastamom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 12:44 pm
I will be in Israel for pesach iy"h, I was wondering about products that are kosher l'pesach.
do they have brown sugar?
walnut oil?
any other products that you can think of that are standard in the USA and they don't have there kosher l'pesach?
thank you!

Zus

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 12:49 pm
They have everything here.
The question is, what hechsher are you looking for? If just rabbanut is good enough, then you can find anything and everything. If you're looking for mehadrin/badatz, your choices are more limited but still everything you need should be available.

atlastamom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 12:59 pm
good point. we will be quite a large group, and will need mehadrin/badatz ingredients only. so you think they have brown sugar and walnut oil with a badatz hechsher?

btw, where in yerushalayim would you go to do a major shopping spree like one stop for everything you need for pesach that will deliver with decent prices? zol poh?

thank you very much?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 1:15 pm
walnut oil for sure.
Brown Sugar I can't remember if they have/don't have and what hechsher.

If you go to Alef on Yirmiyahu (if I am not mistaken) in Jerusalem then everything in the store will be mehadrin but you still have to check if it's kitniyot or not. Things should be clearly marked. I think that everything that is regular Badatz (as opposed to Badatz Beit Yosef) is supposed to be kitniyot free.
I think that Shefa Shuk is also they type of store but it's being boycotted now because the owner also has stores which are open on Shabbat.
Cheaper Kol in Givat Shaul will have a lot of stuff plus American things.

Shopping will be a nightmare, so gird your loins. I don't know who does/doesn't deliver.

Pizza

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 2:39 pm
it is impossible to find non-kitniyot margarine
if you are lucky you can find the heart-attack-in-bar-shape stuff
I try to have someone bring me some Mothers from the states, or I just bake with oil

otherwise youre fine

Tamiri

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 2:42 pm
ditza wrote:
it is impossible to find non-kitniyot margarine
if you are lucky you can find the heart-attack-in-bar-shape stuff
I try to have someone bring me some Mothers from the states, or I just bake with oil

otherwise youre fine

All margarine is heart-attack-in-bar-shape, doesn't have to be KFP. What do you think is in Mother's margarine?

Zus

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 3:05 pm
Zol Poh = Aleph and yes, go there! And yes they do deliveries.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 3:19 pm
Walnut oil is the standard bedatz oil for Pesach (apart from olive). Minhag Yerushalayim is that cottonseed oil is kitniyos, so many don't use it anyway.

Brown sugar - I'm pretty sure you can't get bedatz KLP. Eida Chareidis only has the staple products, although they have branched out a little in the last few years and you can now get chocolate, chips etc.

All the garbage made of 1003 ingredients you buy in the States isn't available with a mehadrin hechsher here.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 3:54 pm
could someone bring you the ok p brown sugar? we get it in the us year round

shabri

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 2:01 am
I just went with my mother to Cheaperkol in Givat Shaul. They have tons of American kosher for pesach products. They are a bit on the expensive side but not outrageous. They didn't have marg (if I recall) but they did have brown sugar with a mehadrin hechsher. Also most of their stuff is not kitniyos

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:16 pm
we seem to be having a hard time finding non kitniyot mayonaise.

anyone know a good place to buy for us non kitniyot ppl?

Zus

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:27 pm
Aleph didn't have any?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:27 pm
Zus wrote:
Aleph didn't have any?

I dont live near an Aleph store

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:30 pm
Stores which cater to an Ashkenazi/Chareidi clientale. I would not expect to find non kitniyot mayo in a regular supermarket. If I am not mistaken, in years past the kitniyot-free mayo came out LATE, like right before Pesach and was not available as early as the kitniyot stuff was.

Zus

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 1:30 pm
Aleph would normally be a good place to find non-kitniyot stuff.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 3:54 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Stores which cater to an Ashkenazi/Chareidi clientale. I would not expect to find non kitniyot mayo in a regular supermarket. If I am not mistaken, in years past the kitniyot-free mayo came out LATE, like right before Pesach and was not available as early as the kitniyot stuff was.
oy, so do you mean to tell me that I will have to learn how to make mayo this pesach? not that that is such a bad thing, but its just weird to me to have to even think of doing that.

we usually go to rami levi in talpiot for our shopping, I guess we will try beitar, maybe they will have mayo.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 4:14 pm
Wait till closer to the chag, but it's easy to make

Zus

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 4:31 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
oy, so do you mean to tell me that I will have to learn how to make mayo this pesach? not that that is such a bad thing, but its just weird to me to have to even think of doing that.

we usually go to rami levi in talpiot for our shopping, I guess we will try beitar, maybe they will have mayo.

If you go to Rami Levy in Talpiot, why can't you go to Aleph?

hila

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 1:11 am
The super - Patit in Efrat will probably have non kitnioyot mayo.
BTW you can call in an order andthey will deliver.
I will check this week when I shop. I can always drop it in to you.

What Hechser do you prefer ?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 1:18 am
Many of the prepared horseradish brands are Kitniyot too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions