Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Keeping warm and safe during the Yomim Tovim

Tefila

Post Sun, Oct 16 2005, 7:42 pm
Thoughts anyone Wink

technic

Post Sun, Oct 16 2005, 7:53 pm
well... I THINK thats a great new pic kyh Wink

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Oct 16 2005, 8:01 pm
freilich I was gonna ask the same question. my dh is building our sukkah now and I went to see and it is freezing outside...we will have to find some sorta outdoor heater..the light should also give off some heat.

lucky

Post Sun, Oct 16 2005, 11:04 pm
We put heavy plastic around the sucah from the outside. It keeps the wind and cold out. I use a small fan type heater.(I keep it on a timer). Try putting a carpet on the floor, (mine is concrete, so carpet is a must.) Just e/o PLEASE be very careful where u put a heater. couple years ago, 2 families lost everything because of a succah heater.

chavamom

Post Mon, Oct 17 2005, 12:17 am
A radiant heater (cheaper) or a oil-filled electric radiator are both safe.

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 17 2005, 12:18 am
Quote:
We put heavy plastic around the sucah from the outside. It keeps the wind and cold out. I use a small fan type heater.(I keep it on a timer).

Great idea Thanks. Tongue Out
and tech thought since I put my twin daughter up w/h a tichel, it was only fair to put her brother up too right? Wink

technic

Post Mon, Oct 17 2005, 3:23 am
absolutely!!! Very Happy ...u KNOW I have a strong british sense of justice Wink

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 17 2005, 10:52 am
Rochel leah then I guess great minds think alike Yes
Lucky and chavamom great advice might try it if not this yr the next Smile
Tech u made my day Tongue Out

stem

Post Mon, Oct 17 2005, 12:09 pm
Some people put a screen under the schach to protect against mosquitoes and west nile virus. Ask your LOR first to make sure it's kosher for a sukka.

stem

Post Mon, Oct 17 2005, 12:17 pm
On the topic of being safe in a Sukka: We think of Sukkos as a wonderful, festive time. We all gather around in the Sukka and enjoy the family time and delicious food. My neighbor who is a holocaust survivor told me that she never really looks forward to Sukkos, rather she associates it will real Mesirus Nefesh. In Poland they would sit in the Sukka while non jews threw rocks into their sukkas. She says one of the things she'll never forget is when she was a girl, she was eating the soup in her Sukka and a rock landed in her bowl... You couldn't complain to the Police because they would laugh at you, and they were probably the ones throwing the rocks in the first place. Till today, she associates Sukkos with anti-semitism and danger. She says she can't help but think of all the Jews who still live in countries that are not free, who do this Mitzva even though it's so dangerous.
B"H we are so lucky to live in free countries, let's appreciate it this Sukkos!!!

Motek

Post Wed, Oct 26 2005, 11:36 pm
your post reminds me of this article:

http://www.aish.com/sukkotthem.....m.asp

amother

Post Tue, Oct 03 2006, 1:09 am
I guess it's that time of the year again Tongue Out

Tefila

Post Tue, Oct 03 2006, 1:19 am
What about those people with a built in succah, like the roof pops off and is an extra room during the year. The succah then must be warmer for sure., I wonder how expensive it is to do that, has anyone done, it is it worth it?

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Oct 03 2006, 12:14 pm
its funny reading about how to keep your Sukka warm...I grew up in a very cold climate and even remember some snowy times on Sukkos, sitting there shivering in huge coats...
where I live now, people are more worried about how to keep cool in the sukka..I've seen sukkahs in my town with AC units in them LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics