Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How do you keep your bathrooms smelling nice?

daisy

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 7:23 am
I don't care for conventional air fresheners (the cakes that evaporate and the typical plug-ins), does anyone have any interesting suggestions for a LIGHT, fresh fragrance that is not too strong? I'm not talking about a spray (I have a nice one from Trader Joes).

shayna82

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 7:42 am
I just got a lysol spray with a new lavendar type scent, its not too strong, and it kills bacteria

buba123

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 7:42 am
I use potpourri (spelling?). I place a small handful in a pretty dish in my bathroom. I change it every now and then.
For eliminating odor (when someone uses the bathroom) try different sprays until you're happy with one. I once found an orange (like the fruit) spray in a health food store - it was a pure smell - not like the usual sprays.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 2:45 pm
I get the air freshners that "dissolve"(?) in the 99 cents store. they're not "cakey"

miriam

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 5:03 pm
Sometimes I leave the window open and that helps air out the room and make it smell nice/natural.

stem

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 5:03 pm
Febreze Air works the best out of all the air fresheners that we've used over the years.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 6:39 pm
shayna82 wrote:
I just got a lysol spray with a new lavendar type scent, its not too strong, and it kills bacteria

lysol contains the chemicalcalled Dyoxin that was used in Agent Orange & causedgenetic mutations, birth defects & cancer
Still wanna use it?

StayHomeMom

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 6:52 pm
I use the plug ins, I love the "spa" smell its very fresh and not strong.

Tefila

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 7:14 pm
Quote:
I get the air freshners that "dissolve"(?) in the 99 cents store. they're not "cakey

Ditto plus, we have a fan so that helps get rid of natural offensive odour Tongue Out

miriam

Post Tue, Sep 27 2005, 6:37 pm
We (well my hubby) is thinking of gettting this really cool product: it's a fluorescent light bulb that destroys odors. Really - he checked it out and it really works + plus of course it saves money compared to regular bulbs.

(For those interested it has titanium dioxide coating which is activated by UV light (which is what fluorescent bulbs make before the light is converted to regular light). It's like an enzyme - it oxidizes the smells, and uses no horrible cover-up smell.)

They are made by fresh2 here is a review and here is a good place to buy them.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Sep 27 2005, 8:28 pm
I use a strawberry and whip smelling spray from
GLADE. I like the real citrus smell too, we use that in our school, can't remember who makes them, I'll check tomorrow.
Potpurri is a good idea.

jewgal84

Post Wed, Sep 28 2005, 8:39 am
I was in target and picked up this really neat air refreshner.

It's called Pure Citrus and is 100 % natural (non-aerosol) made from 100% of the delightfully fragrant oils found in fresh oranges.

It smells delicious. I also leave my bathroom window open for a breeze.

Nothing like NY air Wink

chen

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 5:44 pm
ForeverYoung wrote:

lysol contains the chemicalcalled Dyoxin that was used in Agent Orange & causedgenetic mutations, birth defects & cancer
Still wanna use it?

forever, what is your source? the material safety data sheet for lysol brand spray disinfectant (http://www.herc.org/library/msds/lysolspray.htm) states that it contains carbon dioxide (yep, the same see-oh-too you exhale with every breath), ethyl alcohol (yep, the same stuff you imbibe with every swallow of the mashke of your choice) and one tenth of one percent 2-phenylphenol. this last is not the best stuff in the world to inhale, so it is not advisable to spray near your face, on your skin, or in an unventilated area; as a matter of general good practice one should avoid spraying anything when a baby is in the immediate vicinity. but there is no current evidence that this chemical causes cancer or adverse reproductive effects. the quantity of 2-phenylphenol released during a short spray of lysol is minuscule.

I can see where the confusion comes in: "dioxide" does sound and look like "dioxin", but they are not remotely related.

baby's mom

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 5:54 pm
jewgal84 wrote:
I was in target and picked up this really neat air refreshner.

It's called Pure Citrus and is 100 % natural (non-aerosol) made from 100% of the delightfully fragrant oils found in fresh oranges.

It smells delicious. I also leave my bathroom window open for a breeze.

Nothing like NY air Wink

I also have that and got it at target! Very Happy
Great minds shop alike Wink

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 7:57 pm
miriam cool maybe I'll convince my husband to buy those too Smile

RivkaS

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 12:09 am
miriam wrote:
Sometimes I leave the window open and that helps air out the room and make it smell nice/natural.

This is the right way to do it, because if you (and that is all of you not only the quoted posteress ? Wink ) don't know it. All of these sprays are damaging the invorinment/air that we are finally want to breathe and the dissolving soap-like-bars are not only dissolving but are leaving a fine film on the walls of your bathroom and make you inhale a bit of poison every time. (Please don't ask for sources, because that was explained to me by a physics student 10 years ago or I will have to google on environment protection for hours... )
Sincerely Rivka
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry