Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Boy names help
1  2  Next

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 12:46 am
We are looking for boys names meaning happiness / simcha / related to the month of Adar. Any suggestions?

Thanks

amother

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 12:50 am
Simcha, Nissim, Nesya (dont know if that is girl or boy)

amother

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 1:03 am
how about Mordechai?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 4:14 am
adar

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 7:40 am
Adar is a girl's name in Israel (it also isn't a very Jewish one IMHO). Then again, as soon as you turn round here, boys' and girls' names interchange Rolling Eyes .

Atali

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 11:03 am
shalhevet wrote:
Adar is a girl's name in Israel (it also isn't a very Jewish one IMHO). Then again, as soon as you turn round here, boys' and girls' names interchange Rolling Eyes .

Yeah, I find that trend quite confusing. When hearing an Israeli name, I often don't know whether the person is a man or a woman.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 11:08 am
Atali wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

Yeah, I find that trend quite confusing. When hearing an Israeli name, I often don't know whether the person is a man or a woman.

true.

Some of my MO Israeli (girl) cousins bear names I associate with boys (think Nir, Yair)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 11:09 am
I try to stop judging what's a "Jewish name", because to some bigots Yiddish names are "German, not Jewish", and to others Ladino names are "Spanish, not Jewish", and.......

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 11:27 am
How about giving a name after a tzaddik who was niftar in the month of Adar? Like Moshe Rabbenu, R' Yoel - the Bach, R' Yisrael - The Gerer Rebbe - the Bais Yisrael, or if you insist it has to include the name Simcha - the Gerer Rebbe's brother was R' Simcha Bunim (but he was niftar in Tamuz). There are many more tzaddikim who were niftar in Adar. Or you can even search for a special ancestor you want to give a name for. What can be more appropriate than naming after a holy tzaddik and praying that the child follow in his footsteps?

pninay

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 7:33 pm
Ronen (from the root of the word renana = joyful)

cassandra

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 7:58 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Adar is a girl's name in Israel (it also isn't a very Jewish one IMHO).

Neither is Mordechai...

ny21

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 10:04 pm
mordechai would be a nice name

purplpen

Post Wed, Feb 20 2008, 11:41 pm
I love the name Simcha.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 7:10 am
some say Mordechai has an Hebrew root, something with myrrh... (mor)?

cassandra

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 7:33 am
Nope, it is much more likely that the root is Mardoch-- which is a the name of a Babylonian god. It was a very popular name in that society at that time. (It is possible that Jews at the time used the name but did not intent it to reflect this specific Bablylonian deity and rather saw it as meaning "helper of G-d", based on the role of Mardoch in Babylonian mythology.)
The Gemara puts a Jewish spin on it-- marrah doch-- bitter myrrh, but it isn't likely that this was the original intent of the name.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 7:51 am
I dunno. Just saying there are two interpretations.

cassandra

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 7:56 am
It's not two interpretations. If someone was named a certain name at a time when it was as popular as "John" and then a few hundred years later the reason for the name was given as different, what would you assume to be the original reason for the name?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 7:59 am
Of course not, but they spoke Hebrew too I suppose? even if just for the synagogue?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 8:17 am
maybe it's just me, but I refuse to believe that mordechai hatzadik's name has a root in avoda zara. maybe the name was popular at the time, and maybe the non-jews who used it connected it to avoda zara, but there is no way that has anything to do with mordechai ish yehudi. a jewish name is mazal and hashgocho protis, it's impossible that his name is rooted in teuma!

(and btw, no offense to cassandra Very Happy )

cassandra

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 8:39 am
I don't take offense. I'm sure it makes a lot of people uncomfortable.

But that doesn't mean it isn't true, and it doesn't mean that it should reflect negatively on Mordechai. I guess Mordechai's parents didn't know kabbalah, or they were ignorant to the original source of the name.

You do know the names of the Jewish months are rooted Babylonian by way of Sumerian? Some of which also have their roots in deities? After the fact we assign meaning to it, but again, this has nothing to do with original intent.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names